TKR Dem Dry Bones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suzyblue, Stay warm! It is summer here, temperature today is going to be 90. I'm glad you enjoyed your drive, I intend to take a short drive by myself at some point today.

Cyrano, Good for you for insisting on getting to join the knee group, I think it will help. I am on my own for PT for now. If I think I need more help, I will call the OS in a couple of weeks.

Lanie, Thanks for the congrats. I was very happy with my doctor's visit. I still have some swelling and a lot of fatigue. Hope to gain more stamina. Knowing progress is being made is very encouraging. Have a good day.
 
Hi Guys I wish it was summer here,it is so cold and yes Cyrano there has been snow but luckily in Wellington we were speared of snow.
I hit another milestone today, I had my first shower without sitting on the seat we had to take back the raised toilet seat and the seat for the shower yesterday, I think I was been lazy sitting in the shower everything was fine, the back of my right leg was a bit sore but all good. I cant wait for the day I can have a soak in the bath, I could probably get in but getting out might be a mission so will leave that for further down the track.
Now that I have rested for a couple of days my outing today is to do a full walk around the supermarket for a full shop so will see how it goes.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Suzanne :puppysmooze:
 
It was about 8 weeks when I had a bath.......and it wasn't pretty but I did it!
 
Hi All, I'm just over 7 weeks post op,:happydance: had my 6 week check with OS and he was really pleased with my progress.:yay:
Some days are good some days are bad, I'm walking unaided, showering unaided, but still need the elevated toilet.
Pain levels aren't bad but somedays not good, (I'm still taking TARGIN slow release 1 every 12 hours) it seems to be muscle and nerve pain mostly down my shins, my ROM in my right leg is good, but left is not so good, I am having trouble with the bend something going on with the tendons getting caught or similar on the inside of my left knee, I bend my knee a little and you can feel it getting caught and then it releases and I can bend alittle more, just wish it would get better.
I can't believe I'm nearly 2 months out, the time is flying just hope it keep it up, and soon I will not even be thinking of my knees..

Take care everyone
Lee:friends:
 
Suzyblue.." I cant wait for the day I can have a soak in the bath" I absolutely agree, I really miss my bath, and swimming.
Not that I actually swim in my bath !!
I went to the Physio at the hospital today. She was very thorough and encouraging. Hurt a bit when trying to establish the strength in my leg, my fault though... suffering for it tonight. It is amazing how your knee "bites back" if you treat it badly in the day, and then the night seems so long..
Have been allocated a place at the "Knee clinic" for recovering TKR's (sounds like alcoholics anonymous) so I am pleased about that. Just over 4 weeks post op... hamstrings are a bit tight.
Really need a good night's sleep..
Keep up the good work all you 'May folk', rest, ice, elevate and exercise when you are able..
Best wishes to you all
 
Eaglesnest.... "I am having trouble with the bend something going on with the tendons getting caught or similar "
I also feel tendons are causing problems, but hope it all settles as and when swelling goes down.
 
suzyblue, A bath....that sounds wonderful! It has literally been years since I've been able to get in and out of a tub. I have been showering unaided for the past week. I'm really impressed you could walk around the supermarket, I went to Sam's Club last night but rode the electric cart. I hope I can begin to do "normal" things I haven't done for years. I still need to get a RTKR , but I'll get through this recovery for now. Take good care.

eaglesnest, Thank you for sharing your progress. I search this site for posts of people ahead of me to see what to expect. How long have you been walking unaided? I am mostly using a cane. I still use a walker at night. I've tried walking short distances without the cane but I really limp. I can't imagine having both knees done at the same time. I can certainly see the advantages, I had asked my OS about doing that but he said he would not do them at the same time. Sounds like you are making great progress, good for you!

Cyrano, So happy you now have a place with the knee clinic! My last PT visit was today. I am a little nervous about that. He told me to do all of my exercises twice a day for another month and to keep increasing walking. Your comment about our recovery group made me smile, however there is an element of truth in it. I think the support we have with one another is wonderful. Take care.

Sitting with knee elevated and icing. Wish all the May Marvels a good night's sleep!
 
Cyrano, Yes I guess it's just a healing thing but it does concern me, I suppose I just need to be patient.
Janae, I have been walking unaided now for 3 weeks, although when I go for a walk outside I do take my stick sometimes but most times I don't need it. The last couple of days I have been really stiff in my knees, our weather here is really cold it was 1 deg this morning so that could have some bearing on why I'm so sore and stiff.
Lee:friends:
 
Hi eaglesnest you are doing well I also are getting about now to and my right knee is stiffer than the left, time is all we need for them to heal I am glad I got both knees done as I wouldn't have gone back for the second, it's cold here in Wellington too and I'm sure it makes me stiffen up more, I had a walk round a department store and the supermarket today it was good but my back started hurt and I wanted to sit, just need to strengthen my back as well,when I got back home it was back to the sofa resting elevated and iced.
 
t was about 8 weeks when I had a bath.......and it wasn't pretty but I did it!
Hi speccybecky yes this is what I have been thinking, I think I can get in but my husband will have to help me get out, and that wont be pretty either. I might give it another couple of weeks and then try we have no hand rail on the bath and I usually turn onto my knees but that wont be happening any time soon, so will have to try another way. :heehee:
 
5 weeks today. MY PT released me today. My ROM was 120 so that was good. She told me to continue all of my exercises twice a day for 2 more months. She told me which ones to do 3 times a day for two more months. She wants me to continue increasing walking but to focus on walking without a limp rather than trying to gain speed or distance. She told me I would probably need the cane two more months. she wants me to use it and focus on walking without a limp rather than trying to walk without the cane and limping. These 5 weeks have been some of the hardest. I'm trusting a year from now it will be worth it. I hope all the May Marvels are having gains in health and mobility.
 
I have a question, I've read about the chat and game room but I don't know how to access them, could someone please explain? Thanks so much.
 
janae, go to the white bar at the top of the page. Look all the way to the right--you will see "Social". Click on this and it will take you to the Social chat forum and the Games room.
 
Thank you for the help bottomshollow. This might help pass some night hours.
 
Does anyone know if there is an average length of how many weeks for PT after TKR?

Also, is there an average length of time to use the walker and cane?
 
Oh well manip scheduled for thurs not scared been thru before but discouraged. I do believe though that I am a candidate for this my left knee is just stuck truly I am so sore between both knees I feel a mess! Definitely suffering the blues lots of crying I do believe that the meds play a big part but I am in pain so I find I still need them, I'm just not feeling so great in my own skin if you can understand that,but Ik it will get better actually doing the second knee was worse if I can explain this the right way I just have less patience more agitated definitely more down do think I could of handled my recovery better didn't really play a big part I think I just was not in good space to begin with. Well need to get into the game here so I've been making some small but significant changes in my attitude could use a lot of prayers and cheers! This will I hope give me the much needed push I need! :groan: :shrug: Thanks for listening Paula
 
Minpins, I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. I certainly will pray for your healing and recovery. I know I went into this surgery with very unrealistic expectations. I should have been on this site, reading well before my surgery. I thought after a month, I would be well on my way to returning to normal activity. About the only activity I am doing is physical therapy. I do get my own breakfast and lunch now. I put my 2 dogs in and out and have folded laundry. That is about the extent of it for now. I know what you mean about not being comfortable in your own skin, there is no escaping the constant knee ruling your waking and sleeping. I too, have some real emotional times when I cry very easily. I read that is common. I need to get my other knee done eventually, but reading your post helps me know that there is no guarantee it will be easier than this one. Sorry your left knee has to be manipulated on Thursday, will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
 
Janae...wowee 120 ROM ...good 4 u! My good news is today I was able to make a full forward roatation on recumbent bike at PT. I haven't got my full strength back but I know I am on the road to recovery. This knee surgery has been an emotional roller coater for me too. I cried today and felt so much better afterwards. I have been walking around the yard...I am so ready to start driving.
 
Lanie, Hooray for the full rotation on the bike! My OS is not sending me to outpatient PT so I don't have access to equipment. I hope I'm not missing out on a better recovery by not going. I talked to my in home PT about this concern and she thinks Ill be fine as long as I am faithful to do all of the PT she told me to do. My OS released me to drive at 4 1/2 weeks, so hopefully you will be able to soon. Are you walking with a walker, cane or by yourself? Hope today is a good day for you.
 
Okay, 5 1/2 weeks and I am cautiously excited! Went for my morning short walk (still building up) and my TKR knee hurt way less than my non operated knee. Only downside is I know I will need to get it replaced (am bone on bone) and I am not ready to think about that yet. May Marvels and all other fellow Bonesmarties make it a good day!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom