Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dem Dry Bones

Status
Not open for further replies.
12 weeks yesterday since TLKR. I am doing well, except I have a lot of pain just above the knee in the muscles when I stand up, also in the car when I just move my leg forward or backward. I am still using the commode and mainly sit in my lift chair because they don't hurt when I stand up. Getting up out of a chair at a restaurant makes me want to cry out with the pain. I am not doing much PT at this point. Should I be doing more, and if so, what? I would greatly appreciate any advice or input. Thank you!
 
Happy to sound off, don't forget I'm not in any way officially qualified it's all just IMO.

So: Pain in the muscle above the knee as you stand; you can stand from a lift chair, i.e. a high position, but a car seat or restaurant chair is a challenge. So, I'd say to do passive flexion exercises where you're not putting force through the knee (e.g. skateboard exercise or using a rocking chair) and to avoid, as far as you can, the painful situations you've identified. Nothing special, no rabbits out of hats, just avoiding pain and waiting for healing.
 
Thank you. I talked to the nurse at the OS yesterday and she told me to do straight leg raises twice a day (10 reps each). She said when they were easy to do, gradually add 1-2 lbs. of weight to strengthen the quads. Guess I will try a combo of these and the passive flexion. Thank you Roy.
 
The nurse is a qualified person, so I'd be wrong to say no to what she says.

If leg raises are easy and don't hurt the tendons around the knee, fine. Indeed this is a training exercise, so 'no pain, no gain' is correct BUT only for the quad muscles, they can hurt. The tendons around the knee shouldn't hurt, IMO, neither should there be any consequent swelling.
 
When I do the straight leg raises, the knee does not hurt. It is the area just above the knee and maybe 6 inches up into the thigh. If it gets worse or swells, I will not do them. Thanks for your input Roy. I so value all of the experience of the Bonesmarties!
 
Janae I had a partial menisectomy 6 weeks ago and that is where I was having so much pain. It was like my quads decided to go away somehow. My PT came over and said to put a heating pad on jus that area so I did as much as I could. It felt so much better. Can you do that? Once I started doing more excercises it got better. It took a good two weeks for it to start to feel better and another week before the pain was gone. If you are allowed to use heat there I would try it.
 
When I do the straight leg raises, the knee does not hurt. It is the area just above the knee and maybe 6 inches up into the thigh. If it gets worse or swells, I will not do them.
That would be the thigh muscle I guess, nothing wrong with that hurting a bit -- but 100% agree if the pain worsens, back off to fewer reps, or stop. If the knee swells, stop at once.

Training effect will mean it should hurt less and less as you get stronger.
 
When I do the straight leg raises, the knee does not hurt. It is the area just above the knee and maybe 6 inches up into the thigh.

Janae, I have had this same issue. I am now 8 weeks into TKR and I swell periodically at PT as soon as I start with the exercises>When I do the straight leg raises exercises, I swell, but my thigh also hurts. I always pre-medicate before I actually go to PT an hour before. Not certain if you are at that point still with taking the meds. I still do the strong med prior to PT.Best to you and hope the th pain eases up. Mine does at time. Enjoy the holidays:ereindeer::giftsa::gbhouse:
 
@Tweet25 I do not have a heating pad but think I will get one. My husband has been telling me to ice it. I swear by ice, but for some reason heat has sounded better the last couple of weeks. Did you do straight leg raises to help yours and if so, how many and how often? My actual knee does not hurt much, but this terrible pain getting up is making life miserable. SO ready to be normal!!!
 
@chestnc I mainly just take pain meds if I am going somewhere or trying to work in the house more than usual. If I am on my feet a lot, I still swell clear to the ankles. We had a family holiday here this weekend and I was real tired and swollen last night. Today I have rested a lot and elevated and they are much better. I will just be thankful when I can get up without it being really painful. Have they told you how long you will be doing PT? I had really cut down on mine. Perhaps I need to increase it again. Thanks for the holiday wishes. I had a great time with all of my kids home this weekend. Hope your holiday is great as well!
 
Hi Janae, Not certain yet how long I will be doing Pt. It also depends on how many visits the physical therapist feels I need. I have up until Jan. 3. The secretary says they will see if the insurance company will authorize more visits. The therapist is tying to get my leg as straight as possible. Since I have RA my legs may not have straight as they were before RA. Actually the op leg now is straighter than the non op left leg. Probably if you are doing your regular activity you may be okay with working on exercises on your own. This is a nice time of year for the youngsters especially. I really did not do much as I just had to focus on getting to PT and such. I still have some swelling and when I do too much. I just keep using the ice. I have been doing a lot lately. I had friends over yesterday and I was wiped out. After they left, I had to take pain meds and do the ice. I was back and fourth today so I did not get a chance to do exercises.Will catch up tomorrow. Continue to enjoy the holiday season. Keep posting on how you are doing. :mer xm::reindeer::sleigh:
 
I mainly just take pain meds if I am going somewhere or trying to work in the house more than usual. If I am on my feet a lot, I still swell clear to the ankles.
Hmm, cause and effect? Painkillers enable you to do more than you should, perhaps.
Today I have rested a lot and elevated and they are much better.
There's your answer...?

Overdoing things is a sure way to hamper progress. PT, if you are still swollen and stiff, should consist of no more than gentle mobility stretches, so no reason not to do more if you want to.
 
@Roy Gardiner Oh dear! Guess that makes a lot of sense. I am so tired of feeling like a burden on my family, older than my years and SO limited by my body. I just want to be 'normal'. My daughter tells me that I overdo it all the time. Reminds me of the scripture "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." I guess I lack patience. I really have to trust that a year from now, things will be greatly improved. Thank you for helping me hear myself. Merry Christmas!
 
@chestnc Sounds like you too, have been busy with the holiday hustle! Another couple of busy days and then I will have a week before going back to work part-time. I'm a little nervous about that. I have the most understanding boss though. She has had a THR and a TKR, so she totally gets it. Trying to do my leg lifts 2-3 times a day, hoping it improves the pain with rising from sitting. Take care and have yourself a Merry Christmas!
 
:angel::angel:I read a lot of people ride an exercise bike to help recover. I do not have one, all I have are a set of pedals that sit on the floor. Would those be beneficial? Thanks for any input. Hope all have a blessed 2014!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Dem Dry Bones
This is pretty much what they used when I went to inpatient rehab. they did place them against the wall to keep them from moving. They will be fine if that's all you have. You can adjust the amount of flexion by how close or far you sit from them.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Dem Dry Bones
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Dem Dry Bones
bottomshollow
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom