Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dem Dry Bones

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have trouble getting up, then there are some adjustments you can make: higher seats, etc. I had to buy a device to go on the toilet to make it higher.

I take it you're on a blood thinner thus the need to discontinue arthritis meds.

I'm betting you already have your answer but needed some support. I think this group is behind you.
 
If it were me, I'd have an EKG and ask your doctor if your heart is okay to have this surgery. Afib might have been nothing, or something, who knows. Have you been tested? If your heart is fine, then I'd go ahead with the surgery and get it over with.

As for it being painful getting up from a chair, then raise the chair. You'll be on pain meds for the new knee which should also take the pain away from the other knee, so you'll be fine..
 
I'd go ahead (I'm a hip person, not a knee) because I simply HATE to have all this surgery looming over my head. I want it over with so I don't have to think about it all the time. ALSO, if you've met your deductible for the year, that's another incentive to go ahead. Why does your husband want you to wait?
 
Wish I had had my knees done back-to-back, or together. I imagine the surgeon will want to do some extra pre-op planning with you if you're on meds for your afib -- let him (her?) know if he doesn't already. By next spring, you'll be more than recovered and ready to enjoy the summer.
 
Thanks so much for the advice. I knew you guys would have the best advice. The cardiac doctor has cleared me for surgery. I had cardioversion done and (thank God) my heart returned to a normal rhythm. He is keeping me on a blood thinner, that is why I can not have arthritis meds. My husband wants me to wait because he was thinking the left knee would be stronger in the spring. He sees how I struggle with getting up and does not want me to be totally unable to. I have decided to go forward with the surgery on Monday, September23. What a wonderful support system this forum is!
 
You have made an informed choice for what you believe is right for you. Best wishes to you and will look forward to hearing about your recovery after the surgery.
 
It always feels good to make a decision that you know in your gut is a good one!!
 
Is it possible to dislocate your knee less than a week after a total knee replacement? Yesterday I was trying to move my operated leg up with the other one and I heard a POP and it hurt really bad. It is still really painful. It has been less than a week and I have a lot of swelling so I don't know if this is normal pain or not.
 
Have you called your ortho? Dislocating a knee is horrid. I think you'd know it. Plus it would take much more force than that. How have you been caring for it?
 
I am no doctor but I think you need to call the doctor and see him. What is the level of pain. You are keeping that under control, right? Please keep us informed on this. I am very concerned about this. I will get someone for you. Josephine Please take care. Tashia
 
From what little you've said it doesn't sound like anything serious but you could tell me the following

1. were you able to weight bear on it soon or shortly afterwards?
2. did it stop you sleeping at night?
3. what was the pain level immediately after and what is it now? (1-10 1 = no pain, 10 = worst pain ever)7
4. did you take any pain meds and did they help?
5. has it swollen more since it happened?
6. are you icing and elevating it and does that help?
 
I can bear weight on it with help of walker.
I sleep off and on between bed and lift recliner.
Pain level right after was 8-9. Sitting with it elevated the pain is about 4. When I move it, it is about 7-8.
I've been taking oxycodone 5/325, 2 tablets every 4 hours and 2 tramadol in between occasionally. The oxycodone do help.
The leg has been very swollen, but not more so after I heard the pop and felt the pain shoot toward my ankle.
I am icing and elevating and it does help.

My home PT came today and checked it. He did not think it was dislocated. He is more concerned about a blood clot in the upper calf. He told me what to watch for and do. My surgery was a week ago today. The first two and a half days were great, very little pain. The third evening I was on the commode and my husband had to help me off. When he did, it hurt bad enough I screamed (embarrassing) and it has swollen and been painful since then. My OS checked it the next morning and thought I had twisted the leg. Hopefully it will improve. I had the left one done 4 months ago and it is doing great. Thank you so much for your help and input. This forum is such a blessing!
 
I am so glad that you joined us. Please keep us informed we care. Tashia
 
Had right TKR on September 23,2013. Am definitely getting better after 6 weeks. My ROM at 4 weeks was 105 and extension was 3. I'm still doing PT on my own. Pain is getting more manageable. I still ice and elevate a lot (to the point I almost feel lazy). I am only taking pain meds once or twice every 24 hours.

I have noticed in this past week that I am having some pain in my right hip and now my right ankle. Could someone please tag Josephine and ask her to let me know if this is just my body adjusting to walking with the new knee? Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how long did it last.

After a left THR, a left TKR and now a right TKR I really hope I am on my way to a better quality of life. Thank you so much!
 
janae I merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?
Please don't keep starting new threads else we just keep repeating ourselves when we reply.


Also, to tag someone, you just put the @ symbol in front of their name. Just make sure you don't add anything else like a comma after it otherwise it won't work. And when you have posted it, makes sure the name turns blue so you know it's worked.
 
I have noticed in this past week that I am having some pain in my right hip and now my right ankle.
It's quite probable that your gait is off. This is one time when you do need the eyes of a good PT to watch how you are walking and advise on adjustments. For a start on your own, are you making sure you stride properly doing the 'heel, toe, heel, toe' walk? This means striking the floor with your heel, rolling over the foot as you transfer weight and ending up pushing off with your toes as you prepare to put your other foot down like so

[Bonesmart.org] Dem Dry Bones
 
Josephine, Thank you for your response. I'm sorry but I don't know how to find or merge my thread. I am pretty tech challenged, but am trying to learn. I will try to pay attention to my gait. I have limped for so long and am frustrated that I cannot yet walk without limping unless using a cane. It is still somewhat painful walking even using a cane. I will call my PT or OS if things don't improve shortly. Again, thank you for all you do. You and the other caring people on Bonesmart are such a blessing!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom