THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeepBreath, so happy to hear you're home in your own bed, and hubby is pampering you so nicely. Take care, I'll be thinking of you.
 
Hope you're doing well @DeepBreath. How is your rash? I think the tape blisters are healing over. I'm doing well. A lot more swelling, bruising and nastier looking incision than last time but nothing unusual according to home nurse. I hope you are relaxing and recuperating. I wish we could fast forward 2 weeks and have this all behind us.
 
@Doodles51, wouldn't that be nice to be able to fast forward? Isn't it interesting how the same kind of surgery on the same person can differ so much? I'm glad you got reassurance from your home nurse. Hopefully the swelling, bruising, etc goes away quickly.
The rash remains a mystery. It does get better with Benadryl, but seems to get a bit worse at night. I am not convinced it isn't Oxycodone related. I've been very lucky to be able to have my pain controlled by just a couple of 5mg Oxycodone a day supplemented by extra strength Tylenol. Today, however, I worked with the PT guy quite a bit and afterwards was given 10mg of Oxy. After the ride home later in the afternoon I took two more since I was feeling the journey and getting into the house. My rash seemed worse this evening.
My home health person will be coming tomorrow so I'll run that by him/her. Hopefully, I get it figured out soon.

@Mimi#51, @CricketHip, @Nana757, @Plum Perfect, thank you for the good thoughts! :)
Plum, I am winging good thoughts your way for tomorrow! I'll be looking forward for an update when you're ready!
 
I hope you figure the rash out. I have issues with antibiotics and am always afraid of a reaction. Luckily what I had for both surgeries was ok. I saw an allergy specialist but there are not many tests you can do for antibiotic testing. I'm not sure about pain meds. I did feel sick when they put it in the iv, but not for long. Hope you are getting a good night's sleep tonight.
 
@DeepBreath hope you get to the bottom of what's causing that rash. Ice, elevate and go easy on that PT. Walking is really all that is needed for new hips. Trouble is most PT have a set of exercises that are the same for every patient no matter what joint is replaced!
 
Hiya Deepbreath I had a rash recently that covered my trunk and Dr reckoned it was reaction to antibiotics he gave me antihistamines and it cleared up a treat.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi deep breath, so glad your recovery is going well. It is not wise that your surgeons are blowing off what maybe a drug reaction. They sometimes don't know better. Blistering on palms and sometimes on other skin surfaces especially mucosal membranes can be steven Johnson syndrome...if your reaction progresses recommend an allergy consult or even a Medicine consult (if allergy is not available). This can get pretty serious so they should be paying attention, make sure someone also looks in your mouth and eyes.
 
Hello, Friends!
Being back at home has been such a mood booster. I just feel more like 'me' and balanced, if that makes sense.
I slept great and was able to see my sweet boy before he left for school this morning. :)
The home health nurse and physical therapist visited this morning and it's an added layer of comfort to know that I'll be monitored. My husband is a champ, but I know it's a relief to him as well to know we'll have added help.
I did a little experiment. My rash was markedly better this morning. Although my pain was managed by the Tylenol and icing, I decided to take one Oxy about a half an hour before the nurse came. The rash flaired up a little bit, and the tongue irritation (no swelling, just 'fuzzy' feeling) occurred. I spoke with her about it and she said she'd feel more comfortable with me not taking any more until she could talk with my doc and see about them ordering me another narcotic. It was wonderful to wake to clearer skin this morning!
@Jaycey, thanks to Bone Smart I was prepared for the home physical therapist's visit. She was a lovely gal and respected my limitations and didn't push. She did show me a few simple exercises for stretching and asked that I do them as I can tolerate. I remembered the mantra about not doing anything that hurt and will continue to follow that.
I have gotten up a couple of times today and moved around the house, which feels good after laying down for a stretch. I sit in my armchair in the living room for a bit, but pretty soon I find I'm ready to go cocoon in my comfy bed again.
I do look forward to being able to maneuver my legs over to the side of my bed by myself. I still require help with that. I'll feel like I have a much better handle on things when I can get myself up to go head into the bathroom or go for a short walk. I'm going to do some research here on the site about using a robe belt to assist with this.
So, on we go on the Recovery Trail. :)

@Doodles51, I am so hoping they can identify the exact cause for the rash. I was also wondering about the antibiotics....there are just so many things we encounter during this process that could contribute.

@Legin, I'm glad you got your rash cleared up. It's no fun dealing with that, is it? Antibiotics were truly my first thought regarding my rash.

@Akshia, yes, I was not pleased when they seemed so casual about my rash. I managed to scare myself witless by Googling possible causes and read about Steven Johnson's, etc. The Derm doc I got to see is convinced it is a drug rash and not anything like SJ or Toxic Shock.
Now it's a matter of pinpointing the cause. Thank you for your reply though. It is frustrating when you feel like you're not being heard and your condition not taken seriously. Any reaction is a cause for concern!

Now I am off for a nap after my busy morning. :)
 
Sounds like you are doing well. I only have one blister and it's healing over, swelling at incision is moving down the leg and hope I can walk it out of there. It is so much better to be home. Don't you hate that leg not moving? I talk to mine and it helps lol! Hope you have a nice nap.
 
That log leg will quickly fade. Just a bit of time and patience. Do use a bath robe belt to lift the leg if needed. This too shall pass!
 
@Nana757 swears by the scooting off the end of the bed to get up (that is if you don't have a high footboard). Finding out what's causing a rash can be quite frustrating, especially when your taking more than one medication! I went through this with my daughter when she was little...not fun! Other than that, you sound like you're doing very well! Hugs, prayers and well wishes sent to you today! :-)
 
Glad to hear your rash is a little better and you may have found the cause. Keep up the positive attitude and get your rest!
 
Happy to hear you are doing better, I keep dozing in and out. Had one tramadol, immediately fell asleep. Next one is due at 8:30, staying on schedule whether I need it or not, thanks BS smarties.
 
I find I'm ready to go cocoon in my comfy bed again.
I love this phrase "to go cocoon" it appeals to my imagination!

It is frustrating when you feel like you're not being heard and your condition not taken seriously.

I so agree with you. As a person with multiple allergies and sensitivities this is the story of my life. After my hip surgery, I had a doctor trying to persuade me to take medication ( codeine) that I knew I had had a horrible skin reaction to. Nurses decided my reactions, itching and vomiting were all in the mind!! I actually met with the nurse manager about staff reactions to allergies and sensitivities after my discharge.

When my body was rejecting my internal stitches (tiny black specks coming out followed by one tiny knot) my consultant did not believe me, said it was probably specks from my clothes!! Next appointment i took photo's to show them to him so he had to agree. BUT it is the not being believed and the not being validated that is so horrible.

Hopefully your skin thing is well past. It's good that you have probably found the cause. It sounds like you are progressing daily which is brilliant and great to read about.
 
Hi Deep! Just got caught up with your recovery again and it sounds like all is going very well. My husband was my "log lifter" for a few days when I got into bed, then I was trying to lift it on my own but it was painful so after about a weekk I started using a robe belt at the suggestion of others on this site and it worked very well. I'm glad you have a nice gentle physical therapist and you are only doing what you are comfortable doing. Take care and I'll be checking in soon :SUNsmile:
 
A shower!! A real, honest-to-goodness shower instead of a 'make do with a wash cloth and basin of water' situation! Ahhhhhh..... :)
Once again I am reminded to be grateful for these seemingly small things that I have so taken for granted.
Today has held a few significant treasures: the shower, being able to sit comfortably for close to an hour in my living room arm chair, and being able, albeit sloooowly, to get myself back in bed.
It's so good to read the comments from my hippie buddies. Thank you for the encouragement and great tips.

I have a question: how much time is too much time spent in bed? I definitely want to follow the Bone Smart mantra of rest and elevation, but also want to make sure I'm not taking it to the extreme.
My day pretty much looks like this: 6:00, get up - use the facilities - 'walker' into the kitchen and do a few gentle stretching exercises at the counter - 'walker' into the living room via circuitous route through the dining room to add a few steps, (our place is not large) - sit in my arm chair and enjoy my son's company while he downs some breakfast. 6:30 - walker back to the bedroom - eat a piece of fruit while taking morning meds - tend to hygiene needs - get back into bed. 7:00 - either nap or catch up here or on FB. 9:00 - use facilities - walker around my downstairs for several minutes (getting longer each day) - sit in arm chair and enjoy hubby's company, have snack - 9:30 - back to bed, and basically lather, rinse, repeat all day/evening long.
It's pretty much an 'up for an hour - back down for two' kind of existence at this point.
I find my stamina is returning bit by bit. Because of my femur fracture I am taking it easy on the walker jaunts. I go until I start feeling a bit fatigued and then rest. My pain is well managed with my Tylenol and blessed ice. I can feel the incision pain and some groin pain, but nothing horrible. I am staying away from the narcotics because I do think it has at least something to do with my rash.
Just wondering if this sounds like a fairly reasonable daily schedule for someone 6 days post op?
@Jaycey?
 
@PegGene, hi! :) You're my hero being able to use the robe belt. I do finally grasp the log leg reference. It's like my spirit is willing to get that leg moving but the poor baby just doesn't have the 'umph' to do it.
I have found that 'scootching' is my best mode of getting in and out of bed. Scootching to the edge so I can bend my lower legs to get out, and scootching backwards til most of my legs are on the bed so I can slowly pivot them into position to get back in.
I hope you're doing good! We're watching the news of Hurricane Joaquin to see what it's likely to do. Fingers crossed that he heads out to sea. Be well, hippie friend. :)
 
@DeepBreath
There is no overdoing the bed time at this early stage of your recovery. I found that sleep and/ or just relaxing in bed is the best medicine. And it sounds like you are getting up and about in perfect intervals. Those incision and groin pains will decrease, with time and ice. And it sounds like you are mastering the skooching technique...good for you! Each day, you will find that you'll be able to add little things to your routine. Just remember, it is a day by day, step by step, recovery process. You really are doing great!
 
Thanks so much, @Nana757. Your kind tips help a lot. :) My hubby insists that when he helps me get in and out of bed that I am doing more than I think I am. He says he's stablizing and giving a little bit of support, but that the movement is all me. It doesn't feel that way, but I know I'll get there. :)
How are you doing? You've been on my mind with the hurricane stuff going on. I hope you all stay high and dry. :)
 
I think your hubby may be right. Where we live, we don't have to worry about flooding. All the living units are on the 2nd floor with garages and 10' ceilings at ground level. So, we're good, thank you. How 'bout you...are you near the James River?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom