THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Deep!! You are doing so well.. I so hope that your rash is leaving and that you have landed on the case. sure sounds like it. And you are very mobile for someone who isn't taking narcotics. yayayay!! I wonder if tramadol would work for you?
As for sleeping, I have been on here typing and reading and have fallen asleep like 4 times! One "nap" was for an hour. hahah! My memory is wacky still, too. I thought I wrote you earlier this morning but I guess thinking about it and doing it are two separate things!
It sounds like you are getting up quite a bit. I worried about it also, but there's no escaping the need for sleep. I would wake up laughing at something in my dream and would take me a few seconds to realize it was a dream and not reality.
When do you have your next checkup? I am guessing that your's will be sooner than the norm because of the crack in the femur? I am also guessing that you have mentioned your next check up appt and I have forgotten it. :heehee:
I have a pile of books and my sweet sister sent me tons of cross word puzzles and coloring books, etc,. but I am still not focused enough to read extensively or solve puzzles- I just fall asleep. Reading here on Bonesmart is better :) I do like doing a couple game apps online, too.
You mentioned gratitude!! That's how I feel post op! Isn't it a great feeling? We know we've received a great gift and I think it resonates deeply.
Take care Deep.. I am so glad you're home and happy. :roseshwr:
 
@Nana757, we're smack dab in the middle of the Virginia Peninsula between the York and James rivers. I tried looking up flood maps but really couldn't make head nor tails of them. At this point, I'm not terribly worried. What happens will happen and I'm trusting all will be well. We've lived on the east coast for much of hubby's service time and have seen both direct hits and far misses where hurricanes are concerned. :)

@CricketHip, your replies always make me smile. It sounds like we have some similarities going on. I seem to forget things so easily since the surgery. I absolutely have to write things down if I want to remember them clearly.
The suddenly falling asleep thing too...my goodness. Once I feel that wave of sleepiness coming over me I just pull my soft blankie up to my chin and surrender. I'm guessing it's Nature's way of saying, "Time for another round of healing...you just be still now." :)
You mentioned your books, crosswords, etc, but focusing on Bone Smart, etc. I am a huge reader and loaded up my Kindle with a lot of books prior to surgery, but I don't think I've gotten more than a chapter or two through my current book since being in the hospital and then being home. It's interesting. I figure my beloved pastime will once again hold its usual interest for me when I'm not so focused on all of this.

My next check up is scheduled for next Monday, the 5th. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get good news as far as the fracture healing. I don't think I have mentioned it, so therefore you didn't forget it. :wink:
And even if you did, no big whoop. I can barely keep my own stuff straight, let alone anyone else's. LOL!

Yes, the gratitude is a wonderful thing. That we live in a time where we do have this chance at a full life thanks to modern medicine. To think that when I was born, this kind of thing was in its infancy, and how far it's come. Amazing!
I'm super grateful to you and all my other buddies for sharing, caring, and cheerleading. Y'all are the bee's knees! :) Take good care of yourself and enjoy your naps!
 
Good Morning @DeepBreath I'mday 2 or three post op, not sure how everyone calculates. I'm sleeping or getting up to pee, you sound very normal but I'm a little behind you. Foggy brain doze off while reading a post. Thanks to everyone's recovery threads I think it is all normal.
 
:) Yeah, 'normal' is definitely relative. Every day I am seeing a bit of improvement as far as my stamina goes. I'm basically just listening to my body and letting it tell me what it needs. If it hurts, I stop doing it. If it tires me out quickly, I rest. I am doing the gentle stretching exercises given to me by my PT gal. I can see where they will be helpful going forward with my recovery and in preparing to get my right hip replaced.
Today, my rash is much better, but I am experiencing quite a bit of itching on my back and booty. The hubs has been dispatched to get me some Gold Bond cream to help with that.
I spoke to the Ortho resident at the hospital today and we talked over my issue with the Oxycodone and he put in a prescription for Tramadol for me.
My day has been spent poking around the house as I can, taking a nap, working a bit with my PT person, and listening to the rain. Not too bad, all in all. :)
 
Hi DeepBreath. Sounds like you're doing great and your approach is perfect, following what your body tells you and if it hurts stop and if your tired, rest. I'm at week 4 and still following that approach :dubious:. I can't fight it so I don't bother most of the time although I am pushing myself a bit more though that I did weeks 1 or 2 trying to build some stamina/strength but I don't know that it's working though?? We're going to go out this weekend and get some vitamins/supplements to hopefully help get me through this "energy drain" since I HAVE to get back to work in 2 weeks :scaredycat:ugh. Take care and hoping you continue to feel a bit better each day...and if you don't, don't worry-settle in ice/rest/elevate more and the next day will improve. I found that I sometimes had a few steps forward and a step back, got worried and discouraged, and it took encouragement from those on this forum to set me straight :whistle:around day 12 or so.
 
@DeepBreath just catching up with your thread and it sounds like you are coming along just fine.The rash must have been a real nuisance but I am glad that it looks like you have got to the bottom of it.I am also suffering with log leg and I still need my husbands aid to lift the legs in and out of bed at the moment so I am hoping this will soon pass as it did last time.Congratulations on doing so well.
 
@PegGene, I hope the supplements help and that just the natural healing process keeps moving you towards your goal. It's just a process we all must go through, eh? :)
@Kim22, every day sees some improvement in the log leg dept. I hope yours disappears soon too. :)
 
I forget what day the log leg left, but it wasn't that bad and for that long.. maybe 4 days? 3 1/2? And now I feel like every single day shows improvement. I take many steps now, without any support. Mainly in our small kitchen and the bathroom but it feels so good!!!!
I am walking all over the place trying to get my steps in. Rain Rain go away!
 
You sound the same as me. What is enough movement and/or too little. Sounds like we are both doing about the same. I am 8 days post op and my log leg has been worse the past couple of days. I think with the last surgery the second week was worse, but by third swelling was gone and did not come back. I've gotten in and out of bed on my own, but have wondered a couple of times how that log leg was going to move. It is a strange feeling, almost as if we have have to tell our leg to move. Im trying to transition from the walker to the cane. I have only taken Tylenol from the night of surgery. I have pain, but nothing unbearable. Like you, I have many drug allergies and the narcotics just knocked me out the first surgery. I took the chance not taking them, but never had severe pain. I'd rather have a clear head. I am so impressed with those than can take them long term. I'd be in a coma. Happy healing to you!!
 
Deep. Have a good night. I think you are doing amazingly well. :loveshwr:
 
@DeepBreath I think my log leg has got worse over the past few days as the bruising and swelling has now come out.My ankle and knee are also swollen but I know from last time this period will soon pass.Moving around does help but it's not easy.One benefit is that there is no longer any risk of me turning over on to my side.
@CricketHip How encouraging to read your excellent report particularly as you are only a week ahead of me.I can't wait to be able to walk as easily as you.What are your pain levels like now ?
@Doodles51 Sounds like you are making progress too and you are so right when you said on my thread how great it is to have both hips done.I am glad that I only have 2 hips Isn't it wonderful that all you need is Tylenol for pain.I tried to do that yesterday when I was in agony regarding the old bms but it didn't work for me so I know that I need codeine for pain.
 
Yes I glad we only have 2 hips also. Two is enough. I hope the codeine is working for you. Lots of ice also helps with pain and swelling. Good luck with the bms. That can be worse than the incision pain. I swear peaches and sweet potatoes help me. Hope the log leg goes soon and you are feeling better. I've noticed as the swelling goes down near the incision, it moves down the leg. Have a good day and happy healing.
 
Thanks for the tips @Doodles51 I have plenty of peaches in the house but will ask hubby to get some sweet potatoes.I tried ice in the night and will give it another go when I have my next lie down
 
Whoops I must have pressed the wrong key. Typing in bed before my morning coffee. I'm glad your rash is much improved. The Tramadol has been good for me, I do have some itching but don't know what it is from. I'm sure building stamina will come as you heal. I am so amazed that my hip feels so go I am in a calm and thankful place taking it one day at a time. Try to continue taking good care of yourself with ice and rest, lots of rest really speeds recovery.
 
Hi @DeepBreath....good morning! Sounds like you are coming along and have learned the art of listening to your body. Great job! I saw that you have a back rash. I'm hoping the GoldBond works for you. I had the same problem, early on, and it was due to laying in bed and sweating. I thought I would go nuts from the itching and bumps it was causing. They prescribed a cream for me...triamcinolone 0.1% cream 15mg...that almost immediately relieved the itching and within 2 days, the rash and itching was gone. If the GoldBond doesn't work, this may be a good option for you. Have a wonderful day, my friend!
Wow...I can't believe we are actually seeing the sun today!
 
@Kim22 Thanks! And I am very happy and grateful for my progress so far. You asked about my pain levels? I'm not sure it can even be classified as pain, I would say 2 out of 10. And that is really reaching. A week ago there was a day where I may have hit 4 or 5 after rushing around and putting too much pressure on the new hip but it passed within 12 hours.
 
Hello @DeepBreath
I have that itchy rash on my back,neck and backside. I agree with Nana and think its from the bed rest and sweating. I still wake up to chills or sweating several times a night. In fact I just had a big morning with lots of activity and promptly fell asleep for over an hour,, yep, woke up sweaty and chilled.
@Nana757 - I will ask for that cream RX on monday!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom