THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @deepbreathe
Just catching up with your posts. You seem to be doing so well but that soreness, itching and potential blistering must be driving you bananas as well as being worrying for being at home with crutches etc. I get very itchy, red and sometimes blisters from codeine, from nickel and from some plastics. As I have loads of allergies I spend my time trying to work out what I am reacting to and avoiding what ever. Just a thought when we are being prepared for op are we washed with any form of strong soap/antiseptic/other product. As one of your reactions was underarms it made me think of this. When I have a really bad reaction and Benadryl does not work, on have on 2 occasions had prednisone (spelling) which has worked. The problem is that you need it sorted out now - best of luck with it - take care.
 
I'm so very sorry that you are dealing with this in top of your recovery! It must be just awful! I sure hope the doctors figure it out! Question, did you use Hibiclens (or similar) with both of your surgeries? I do know that can cause an allergic reaction like you describe. I'm pretty sure Latex can have a similar reaction, but I can't be certain. I would think your surgeon would have thought of a Latex allergy if it were that and your anesthesiologist would have recognized a reaction to the anesthesia. I sure would ask about the wash as a possible culprit. I'm praying for you girl!
 
Hi @DeepBreath I'm so sorry to hear about your reaction, it sounds miserable. You must push the doctors to treat it before you go home, I'm glad the rest of your recovery is going well.
 
Thank you, Friends, for listening and helping me spit ball answers to this mystery.
The long and short of it is that they don't know what it is. They kept me one more day to keep an eye on it, but it isn't resolving. They're giving me Benadryl which helps with the itching (it's not a terrible itch, thankfully, just sporadic) but the rash is still present.
As far as my vitals go and how my incision looks, so far, so good.
The plan is to discharge me tomorrow.
I will definitely be leaving with a complete list of everything that has gone on or in my body since arriving here.
I will then seek out my own dermatologist and have him/her help me figure this out.
I have been taking pictures of the affected areas so I can keep track.
@Cynthia777, I doubt it's the Hibiclens as I didn't use that last time.
It is possible it has something to do with a wash used in surgery or antibiotics, etc.
It's definitely a reaction. I just need to figure out what.
I refuse to have my other hip done without knowing why this has happened and how it can be prevented.
Right now I'm just doing a lot of praying that it does resolve without causing complications.
If I allow myself to start worrying about that, I'll unravel and I can't afford to do that.
I'll keep you all posted as I go along.
Thanks again, friends.
:)
 
You are up late tonight! I wish they had figured out something, I'll check up on you again tomorrow.
 
I have been suffering from blister outbreaks that started after surgery. I have had antibiotics and now on a steroid cream that seems to help.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Ahhh, the morning brings a brighter outlook.
The Benadryl is helping, ever so slightly, the rash and it is not getting worse.
I am up, breakfasted, washed up, and in my own clothes.
The Ortho docs came by on rounds and spoke to me about 1) a dermatology consult to see exactly what caused the rash, including testing so the offending substance is not used again.
And 2) Discharge! Looks like I'll be homeward bound this afternoon.
I'm ready to be in my own home with my loved ones.
Movement is improving by the day, with ice and on schedule meds my pain is controlled nicely.
So, here's hoping my rash will quickly abate and I'll be able to figure out the cause.
Right here, in this moment, things are good.
Thank you for your support, friends. You are all amazing. :flwrysmile:
 
This is good news! I just hate that you have such a rash! Glad they will investigate the causes.. that's progress!
I forgot to ask, are you now without a room mate? If yes, I bet you enjoyed the quiet.
Are you experiencing the dreaded log leg yet? Or the stinging, burning tightness? I loved the ice packs for that.
The meds really help and it still boggles my mind that there's no deep bone pain. I was so afraid of that.
Deep! You get to go home!!!! woo hoo! :loveshwr::happydance::flwrysmile::yes!:
 
Hi DeepBreath. Just caught up with your posts. My company left yesterday, this is my first day home alone since surgery which is kind of lonely, but I'm exhausted and overdid a bit this weekend so I'm staying in PJ's all day, icing and catching up on BS. I'm SO happy for you, you're doing so well and all with a fracture!! Of course except for that bothersome rash! I had an experience with a rash in the hospital when the OS / PA tried to take me off oxycodone after I experienced a lightheaded/nausea incident at group PT and had to be "wheeled" back to my room. She put me on Lortab which very soon caused a flushed face and itchy bumpy rash all over my neck and chest. Benadryl helped and she immediately put me back on oxy which I've been tolerating fine. I know this is probably not you're issue, but thought I'd mention the "Lortab" just in case that's what you are on. I'm VERY impressed you were able to "go" so soon, while still in the hospital! Way to go!! :heehee: Just be careful, I've heard from others even after they have that first one, the second one tends to cause a problem for some so keep the hydration/fiber coming. Take care and I hope your trip home goes/went well for you.
 
So glad the rash seems to be getting better and that you will be home soon! I have a couple weeping blisters from tape around incision that hurt like crazy and make me worry about infection. The nurse said yesterday everything looked fine. You sound like me, any little thing to worry about and I willHope things are going well for you.
 
What a wonderful progress report @DeepBreath! I am so happy to hear your itching is subsiding and you will be going home today. There is nothing better than to be home, in your own bed/nest, with your loved ones. Hoping you get with the dermatologist before discharge and get some answers. Safe travels on your way home, my dear.
 
Thank you @copsham. :)
@CricketHip, no log leg yet. What is that, exactly? Swollen and stiff? I see it referenced a lot on the forum.
The thing I deal with the most is a cramping feeling in my op leg's groin and inner thigh area, especially when getting in and out of bed
It is getting better as the days go on. Also, my triceps were not in fighting shape!
Since I have the toe touch weight bearing restriction I use my upper body strength a lot to compensate. My non dominant arm's tricep especially is not happy with me and cramps up pretty good at times.
That's my bad. I knew I needed to work on that more but didn't do enough.
Yes! My roommate left on Sunday and the peace and quiet has been lovely.
The absence of hip pain is amazing, isn't it? :)
@PegGene, I hope you enjoyed your visitors and also the PJ time afterwards!
I didn't have Lortab, but I do wonder if the Oxy contributes to the slightly itchy scalp I have. It's not horrible and the benefits far outweigh it.
I've had two BMs so far with no real problems, thankfully. Not easy peasy, but not like I was dreading.
I'm really lucky to be super regular and frequent. The week prior to surgery I made it a point to drink tons of water and eat lean protein and fruits/veggies.
3 days before surgery I started taking 1 Colace a day with my doc's permission.
They had me on Colace from day 1 in the hospital and I guess it was just the right combo for me. Fingers crossed it continues! (I have to smile at how comfortable I am discussing this stuff with you all) :)
@Doodles51! How are you? I've been thinking of you. Yes, I am a worry wart, no doubt. I hope your blisters resolve. That sounds uncomfortable. Sending healing vibes your way.
@Nana757, thank you for the good thoughts! I 100% agree about home being a wonderful place.
The doc I saw said that I definitely have a 'drug rash' and that a panel of tests will need to be done when it resolves so whatever it is can be avoided.
Take care, friends. Sending out smiles and good wishes for you all. :)
 
@DeepBreath
What is log leg?? haha I wondered that myself until I got it! For me, mine was avery tight, stinging stiff leg that felt like it could pop open with any effort on my part. And the leg was swollen and just wouldn't move! I needed help to move it to get in and out of bed. Or use my leg lifter. I swear it was like the leg was alien!

It doesn't last long but I sure was glad to show it the door!

strained triceps.. bummer. thats a tough one. I wonder if your husband or PT people can massage it deeply and get it happy again?

You sound so great!! Happy Homecoming Day!
 
So happy for you...Home sweet home! I'm glad you're getting that itching under control and going about finding the culprit prior to any other surgeries you may face!!!! God bless my friend!
 
I would describe log leg as simply as your leg, whenever you go to move it or walk on it, just feels like it weighs a ton. But, as cricket said, fortunately, it doesn't last long. The more you use it, the more the feeling goes away. One day, soon, you'll wake up and say, hey, it almost feels normal again! That's a great feeling and one step in the recovery process where you can check it off the list.
Boy, I just realized I used the word feel a lot. Any hoo, I hope you are home by now and resting well.
 
Well, my leg is definitely stiff, swelling is so-so. It does want to revolt by not allowing hardly any free movement.
It will get better, I'm sure.
I am home, snuggled up in my nice, warm bed. I have my medicine log made out, needed meds taken, and ice on my hip.
Hubby has been a trooper. Being very helpful and patient and has dinner in the oven.
Right here, right now, is a very wonderful time. I am blessed. :)
 
@DeepBreath so happy to hear you are home and hubby is taking good care of you. I'm glad that the reaction is subsiding, and that you had a BM, you really got ahead of that one. Wishing you a continued speedy recovery, especially now that you are tucked in at home. What's for dinner? It's always a good sign when you're thinking about food after a surgery, you are surely on your way.
 
@DeepBreath
I am so happy to hear you made it home, safe and sound, and you are snuggled up in your bed. Don't forget to elevate that leg. That will also help with the swelling. One big firm pillow should do it. And, then, of course, another one between your legs. Hubby does sound like a real trooper. You're lucky to have a hubby who is so considerate and helpful. But, you my dear are the real trooper. With all the trials and tribulations you've been through, from the postponed surgery to the allergic reaction, and you still see the good in everything. Keep the faith girl. I guarantee things will get better. Each day you will see improvement from the day before. Rest, ice, elevate and enjoy the spoiling you are receiving.
 
Oh, @DeepBreath
It really IS a good time, isn't it? I was on a high for at least 3 days after the surgery and my return to my home.
Snuggled in your bed, no less. life is good, we live in a great time where replaced joints have the ability to give us our lives back. hugs to you!! hugs for everybody!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom