THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Friends :) Today is a good day. Not sure if it's the blessed glimpses of sun or what, but I feel more energetic than I have since surgery day. Tomorrow doesn't hold this guarantee so I'm gonna grab this great day and hug it tight!
@Plum Perfect, your attitude is beautiful. One day at a time is definitely the way to go, isn't it? I'm glad the Tramadol is working well for you.
@Nana757, isn't this break in the weather wonderful??? SO loving it!
@Doodles51, we do sound like we have similar concerns. :) I hear you about the log leg and the strange sensation of willing that leg to move and not always having it listen. Mine actually did listen yesterday and I'm sure my expression was like :shocked:. I'm slowly feeling like I'm regaining control which is so awesome. Y'all can probably tell that I don't like to not be in control :wink: and these tiny steps towards 'normal' are wonderful.
I am following your story because it's similiar to mine, but you're way ahead of me. I hope I can be as strong as you going forward towards and during my second THR. :)
I'm glad the Tylenol works for you. I understand about the allergies and narcotic icks.
@Kim22, that log leg is frustrating, isn't it? I love your 'silver lining' comment about it preventing turning over. :wink: I hope yours disappears soon and you'll be feeling more mobile soon. :)
@CricketHip, you're just doing amazing! That makes me so happy. Ugh about the chills and sweating. I do think that affects my back and booty rash a lot because I do sweat quite a bit, especially with all the humidity.
I am also going to talk to my doc on Monday about that RX cream. The Gold Bond is amazing, but has to be reapplied every so often.

Hey, question for those who take Tramadol and Tylenol: how do you take them in conjunction? Do you take them together or in a staggered pattern?

Have a good day, Hippie friends! :flwrysmile:
 
@DeepBreath I am so glad that you are having a good day and that you feel more energetic this is a good sign.It is funny that you are wishing everyone a good day when I am about to turn in for the night.I am putting off going upstairs as the first task once I get up is to give myself the Clexane injection.I do hope you continue to improve and you are right to grab those glimpses of the sun whilst you have them this time of year.Have a great day and night night from me.
 
@Kim22, I wish you a restful night's sleep, friend. :) We just moved back to the US this past February after living in Germany for several years. I always felt the same way when communicating with my stateside friends regarding the time difference. I miss Europe so much. What a wonderful opportunity that was to live there, travel, and enjoy the different cultures.
How are you doing with the self injections?
Sending you good wishes as you recover and improve as well! :flwrysmile:
 
@DeepBreath
I took the Tramadol for pre op pain. Both the Dr and the pharmacist assured me that it can be taken with Tylenol.
I always waited a full hour or two in between taking them. But that was just how I did it. When I called the pharmacist for further assurances I didn't think to ask about taking in conjunction. But then, they didn't tell me not to, either. You could call your pharmacist and ask to be sure.
Tramadol and tylenol work well together. Hope it works well for you!
 
@DeepBreath @Josephine suggested I add Tylenol to the Tramadol if it wasn't enough, she could answer your question how to take both, together or separately. She said they worked really well together. I'm taking aspirin for DVT prophylaxis and don't want to add another drug to that unless I really need it and I'm doing fine with one tab Tramadol now. I'm glad you are feeling more in control and making noticeable progress. I feel strange because I have to control but my response to that and I am strangely calm, enjoying the road to recovery and so glad Imade the right decision. Have a nice evening and get a great nights rest on your road to recovery.
 
@Kim22, I wish you a restful night's sleep, friend. :) We just moved back to the US this past February after living in Germany for several years. I always felt the same way when communicating with my stateside friends regarding the time difference. I miss Europe so much. What a wonderful opportunity that was to live there, travel, and enjoy the different cultures.
How are you doing with the self injections?
Sending you good wishes as you recover and improve as well! :flwrysmile:
I am managing them fine thanks but will be glad when they are finished.I keep telling myself that when I have given myself the last one on day 30 I should be feeling so much better.
How lovely that you were able to live in Germany for a few years and that you enjoyed Europe.We were very fortunate to be able to live in Paris for two and a half years as my husband was sent there for work.I loved it and made the best of every moment I was there.I think I wore my poor hips out with all the walking I did.We were both very fortunate.
 
In UK tramadol is prescribed as a medicine with nothing added. I guess there will be tablets available labelled as "Extra Strength" or something similar that combines both. Moral of the story read the labels and make sure max 4000 paracetamol/tylenol is taken. Good luck and take care.
 
Good morning @DeepBreath! Hope you slept well and are enjoying the brief spurts of sunshine! I googled your question about taking tramadol and Tylenol at the same time. Everything I read said yes as the Tylenol bumps up the effectiveness of the tramadol. However, just be careful not to exceed the recommended dosage. Have a wonderful recovery day, my dear. BTW, how's your itchies on your back?
 
I've read contradicting info on tramadol. There are versions of it with Tylenol added. Sorry, I thought I was told there was some Tylenol in it. Best to always ask your pharmacist/doctor.
 
@CricketHip thanks for your response above, I hadn't thought about it before because I have never taken many meds but it is now a good idea to stick with one pharmacy so they maintain a record of all the drugs you're taking. Fortunately the pharmacy across from the hospital was a Walgreens which happens to be the pharmacy I usually use. My OS prescribed Celebrex for 1 - 3 months post OP, he told me there was research that it helped to keep the bones from producing spurs you don't want. I feel like I have a complete pharmacy in my kitchen cupboard, it makes me feel like an 'old' person. Sometimes I feel like I'm on the outside looking in on this person that isn't really me, when did I get old? Weird thoughts, must be the drugs..
I hope everyone has some sun today and appreciates how lucky we are.
 
I'm taking aspirin for DVT prophylaxis and don't want to add another drug to that unless I really need it
You can very safely take Tramadol, Tylenol and aspirin together. They don't conflict.
Sorry, I thought I was told there was some Tylenol in it
That's Ultracet and is not commonly used in the UK.

@DeepBreath - here's the chart (#1) I used for my first knee. However, I have to admit that for my second knee, it didn't work so well and I used chart #2


......................................#1.............................................................#2
[Bonesmart.org] Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty
[Bonesmart.org] Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty
 
Thanks so much for the charts, @Josephine. The Tramadol is working so well. No weird side effects and great pain control. I will start implementing the suggested combination with the Tylenol, as I was taking them in a staggered pattern before.
@CricketHip, @Plum Perfect, @Doodles, @copsham, thank you for your advice re: Tramadol. I so appreciate the great input that is available from the hippie buddies. :)
@Nana757, I hope you're staying dry and safe. Not much rain or wind here today. Tomorrow should be interesting! My rash is resolving quickly now! I'm not needing near as much Benadryl and Gold Bond, which is so wonderful. I'm on to the last part of the process, as far as I can remember, and that is the top layer of skin on the palms of my hands sloughing off. It is SO weird! Thankfully, it's not painful, just a bit sensitive at times.
I actually was able to gross my 14 year old son out with it. He said, "Mom, if you could keep that up until Halloween and do it all over your body, you'd have the coolest costume ever!" LOL!
Thankfully, it doesn't last that long and is only on my palms.
@Kim22, you're a brave lady. I'm honestly not sure I could give myself an injection. At day 30 you should be feeling great! I'll be celebrating your last shot with you. :)
Oooh, Paris...how fabulous. Yes, most of Europe is a walking continent and with so much beauty and history to see.
@Legin, I hear you! My bedside table looks like a pharmacy. I had to get serious about organizing it because I got tired of sifting through every bottle every few hours.
@Cynthia777, doing good today, friend. :) I hope you are as well.
I'm participating in my favorite household chore today: laundry. It's soothing to me. I sorted and hubby is doing the machine work. I then get to fold the warm, sweet smelling clothes and then our son is putting them away. Team work!
I hope everyone is doing good today. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you are doing well and the rash is clearing up. My hands were peeling but from the walker. Imy husband cut me pieces of foam pipe insulation for the handles this time.
I still start getting itches and realize it's more goo from tape on my legs and torso so strange.
 
@Doodles51, the tape stuff does really affect the skin, doesn't it? I noticed when I was still in the hospital they had forgotten to take a couple of EKG leads off of me and noticed them when I kept feeling itchy.
Great idea of your husband's to fit your walker with the foam! You wouldn't think it would affect us so much, but the constant rubbing when walking does make a difference.
I hope you're doing good today!
 
Hey @Doodles... I have the same reaction to tape. If I have any kind of adhesive on my skin for more than 8 hours, it starts turning red and blisters. So I now list that as an allergy whenever I go in for surgery. They have to use paper tape so I don't get a reaction.
@DeepBreath...I'm happy to hear your rash and peeling skin is improving. It's funny what your son said. Only a kid would say something like that, right?
 
@Nana757, my son is such a funny goofball. He's constantly cracking me up. I had to smile thinking that his admiration wasn't because I finally got my surgery or the strides I'm making recovery wise....nope, it's my 'zombie skin' that he thinks is cool. LOL!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom