THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bed pillow on the car seat is the way to go. I was advised to do this at my pre surgery talk. Also put the seat back as far as it will go when getting into the car and hang onto the body of the car not the door when getting in or out. The door can close on you and therefore is unstable.
 
Thanks for the kind words and great tips!

Hippies, I have a question for you all: I seem to be having a reaction to something used during, or shortly after, surgery.
I had this same thing happen about 15 years ago when I had a short procedure. Nobody could figure out why it happened or what caused it. Thanks to the lovely hospital I was at my records were lost, so there's no way to compare commonalities.
The way this reaction presents is that I start out with slightly itchy underarms, which then leads to a uniform red rash over my trunk, back, buttocks, and inner thighs. While that is developing, the palms of my hands and soles of my feet get red and painful...no itching there, just almost looks like a chemical burn.
Last time, my palms and soles blistered and then peeled.
I am now experiencing all of that except for the final stage blistering and peeling.
I told my doc about this prior to surgery and he was stumped, as was the anesthesiologist.
I alerted the staff to it yesterday evening, a doc was called in to examine me...again, stumped him. He ordered Benadryl (IV) but it hasn't done much good. A little less itching on rash areas but hands and feet still painful, tingly, and red.
If anybody has had something similar or has any knowledge, please let me know.

Thank you!

@Josephine @Jaycey

.
 
This is one for Jo. But I have heard members complaining of itching caused by their pain meds. Are you taking the same pain medication you took after that short procedure?
 
Hi @Jaycey. No, I wasn't on pain meds after the short procedure I had several years ago.
The Ortho docs just came by on rounds and basically blew it off. I was told yesterday that perhaps Dermatology could come up and look at it but the Ortho docs seem to think that would be a long shot since this isn't 'emergent'.
They said they might be able to arrange an out patient consult but frankly the last thing I want to do is to ride all the way home one day and then have to turn right around in a day or so and ride all the way back up here.
I'm feeling frustrated.
If it was just the rash and discomfort in my hands it would be one thing. It's the possibiloty of the blistering and peeling that worries me since I have to observe the toe touch weight bearing restriction for at least 2 weeks and am dependent on my walker to move about. I worry that the pressure on my hands combined with the peeling will result in an infection.
I just don't know what to do at this point.
 
Aww, DeepBreath. sorry to hear this.
This wouldn't be a latex allergy, would it?
 
@CricketHip, I don't think it's a latex allergy. I've never had a problem before and the symptoms don't sound like a latex allergy.
I hope you're doing good! :)
 
I would think this is "emergent", since you just had hip replacement and any allergic reaction should be taken care of immediately. I would insist on getting a dermatologist in, before you go home, just in case. I know you are in a military hospital and they have certain protocols to abide by, but hopefully, they can get a dermatologist in to see you. I am so sorry you're having to go through this. Best of luck to you today. I hope you can get it all worked out. :)
 
I refuse to whine and not mention the good points. :)
PT is going good. I'm walking further each day, comfy with bathroom stuff, and feel good about going up the 4 stairs into our home.
The best thing: I had a BM early this morning. What a blessed relief!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah! That first BM...oh what a relief it is! Glad to hear your PT is going well. You aren't whining, believe me. You are justly concerned.
 
I'm trying really hard not to be THAT patient. I just don't feel like anybody is taking my concerns seriously and that bothers me.
 
@DeepBreath you aren't that patient. No way! I hope you aren't itching too badly.
Ooh! good news on the BM! You didn't go that long.. yay you!
The second one was the worst for me, I think the clouds parted and heard angels singing.. seriously!
:xmark:
 
hahahah! well, be prepared for the second round.. that one tricked me. Its all good, though. What an adventure!
 
@DeepBreath you sound like you are progressing mightily. Congratulations! Stay positive! It seems a positive attitude can make a real difference. All the best to you.
 
@Josephine....would you be able to assist @DeepBreath with her dilemma? Please see her #42 and #44. I'm sure she could benefit from any words of wisdom you have. Thanks.
 
@DeepBreath Find out if your antibiotic or any drug they gave you was sulfa based. I have a sensitivity to that and my entire trunk turns red and blotchy. When the red goes away, then the itch comes. My reaction is not as dramatic as yours, but it sounds very similar. I took Benadryl, but it didn't do anything for me either. I have the same reaction to Nitrates - so red wine from South America or Africa I have to avoid. And foods with nitrates too. I hope they figure it out - that must be horribly uncomfortable.
Glad you are able to toe touch and they didn't restrict you completely from weight bearing. Hope you get to go home soon.
 
I hope you figured out what is causing the rash. Like others have said, I've heard the IV meds used for surgery or pain meds cause a rash. Maybe soaps used? I had a big issue with tape this time. sounds like you are doing great other than the itches! Glad everything came out ok for you also:yes!:
 
@DeepBreath, I just discovered your recovery thread and want to congratulate you on your progress post-op. I am curious about your skin reaction. Although I did not turn red and blister, my skin peeled off my legs for 3 weeks, like a snake (or like the skin when a cast is taken off a leg). It didn't hurt or itch, it was just weird! I asked my visiting nurse about it and she said she heard that anesthesia can cause the skin peeling, as well as hair loss (thank goodness I didn't have that problem!) At first I thought it might have been from a sun tan, but I really didn't get much sun this summer and it kept peeling and flaking off- all over the bed and floor (gross, sorry), and a tan might just peel once. Hope one of your docs gets this figured out!
 
I have no idea what it could be. I have a very limited knowledge of dermatology but I agree with Nana, you should definitely see such a doctor.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom