Guest viewing is limited

THR dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am starting to think a trip to Seatle just for the bakery items is warranted:). Hope your appointment goes well today and congradulations to unaided walking with the cane for back-up.
 
Everyone's welcome for a visit! (Right, nerdgrrl: and Weezy: ?) Or I can tell you an easier way to make them (I don't love cooking just for cooking -- I can plagerize recipes with the best of them!). Of course, that wouldn't be as fun as making a trip to see the gorgeous Northwest in all of its wet glory (ahem, that's what we tell people all the time; little do they know on the glorious sunny days, it wipes out a butt load of those wet days).

So I'M FREE to act responsibly and use common sense!!! :yes!: Doc lifted all post-surgical restrictions (but added one for work in the short term - no bending/lifting over 10# until 3 months -- though I think that falls under the common sense category).
  • He has me starting the ROM stretches (external rotation and hip flexors) that I was doing pre-surgery. The external rotation stretch looks like you're sitting in chair like a guy - foot on opposite knee. Eventually the stretch is extended where the knee of the bottom leg is pulled towards the chest. He wants me to use this method for putting on shoes and socks rather than bending over to do them. The hip flexor stretch is like the runner's stretch - foot in front, opposite foot in back and gently push/stretch that back leg through the front of the hip to stretch it.
  • Continue with the more difficult PT exercises and gradually build up to tolerate exercise classes (toning, water aerobics).
  • Walking and cycling are best.
  • Avoid most contact sports and running, but after a year I could skydive or bungy jump if I was so moved (unlikely, but I brought it up and he didn't flinch).
  • The number one rule - Avoid having the worst fall I could ever have - EVER. Again, common sense rules here!! Maybe that's why he didn't flinch with the skydiving or bungy jumping came up - (little voice in head says, 'consider the potential Fall Factor....')
  • His preference is no dental work until 3 months post-op. However he does endorse the antibiotic prophylaxis (extractions, crowns, extensive work) for lifetime. I read that Jo says there's new evidence that this isn't necessary, so we'll see if his tune changes over time...
  • Take care of any bacterial infections (ingrown toenails, bladder, etc) right away.
  • Take anti-inflammatories, tylenol and muscle relaxers until no longer needed. He asked me if I felt I needed the muscle relaxers, i.e. was I having any spasms, and I mentioned that with increased activity and PT it can flare things up...I told him I was mostly taking them to avoid issues, but will taper off to see if I need them as often as I'm taking them (3x for tylenol/muscle relaxers, 2x for anti-inflammatories as written).
  • Have anything I'm picking up off of the floor in front of me and between my legs. I mentioned the golfer's reach and he said that'd be perfect. I had already started using that because I had a really bad habit pre-surgery of picking up things to the side rather than straight on causing that bad twisting motion.
He said that getting through airports is typically easier if you can go through the new body scanners rather than the metal detectors. They'll give me a wallet card (if I ask, and I decided not - actually forgot, but don't think I'll need it other than proving I'm part of the club now), but it won't help with TSA. TED socks aren't necessary for air travel unless I'm prone to foot/leg swelling (which I haven't been, but might tuck a pair in the suitcase during the first year JIC I have to jet off somewhere - better to have and not need, than to need and not have I say!). Just do the ankle rolls and get up from time to time to move about and it should be fine.

He took a look at the scar and said it looked really, really good. Apparently my fair complexion (I call myself clear from time to time as much of my skin has never seen sunlight, especially that part) is one reason the scar will continue to diminish over time.

I confirmed I did have an uncemented, Biomet Taperloc, Magnum Cup, and Active articulation head unit. I'll post a copy below of my before and after hip. I actually also have the pre-surgical xrays where he did his pre-surgery planning and measuring. Let me know if you'd like to see those...they're kinda cool.

Follow-up appointment - 1 year! See you next Christmas, Doc!! And thanks for my Xmas present this year!!

[Bonesmart.org] dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed
 
:yay: Dede, Great report. Your new hip looks beautiful. and you do not have to see the doc for a year, WOW. I know you live in a beautiful area, and hopefully one day will get to explore that part of the country. I will keep my fingers crossed for some sunny days when I go.
When are you returning to work, I am going back the 26th
 
Thank you, Beth! I was pleasantly surprised about the 1 yr post-op as well. Hubby and I were both looking forward to actually seeing the hardware pics. Before the doc came in I was explaining the position of the cup due to the hip dysplasia and he then understood why I asked pre-surgery if they thought it might need a screw to ensure it didn't shift. When the doc came in, he said it looked perfect! We were pretty psyched on the ride home.

Do you have to see your doc pre-op for #2? Did he say you'd have to do any labs again since it will be a little over 4 months apart? I have a good feeling that the left will now progress stellarly and the right will be a walk in the park (so to speak)! And I too start back to work on the 26th. Should be fairly quiet with schools on holiday break. Some District personnel will be working so it won't be totally silent. I've already been texting with one of them and we'll be working on a little data cleanup and I have a project I have to get a handle on before I meet with the 4 buildings on the 8th. Not sure when the majority of schools will be back since I haven't been there to see the schedule.
 
It is so great, how your husband is sharing this journey with you. I do not know if I will have to have labs again, but am presuming I will as they check for any infections also, will know when I get my surgery package, which should be in about 2 weeks. I know I will see him before the surgery, as they take x-rays with a fake implant along side the leg to measure the leg.

I guess next Wednesday we will both be glad to be back, but also tired.
 
Oh, how interesting on the measuring technique... On the CD of films they gave me today, my doc uses the tools within the viewing program to draft up his measurements. He just used the most recent set of xrays (the 2 mo pre) did 2 sets of measurements with the face on view and then did another measurement using the frogleg view.
 
:egypdance:Yay, Dede, what great news! I'm so happy for you! All the warriors seem to be doing well now. Everybody getting back to work, and I'm getting back to my volunteer work at the park, and all the fun things I do.

bellaroma I'm glad you got your surgery date, just a little over two months away. Your new hip will be so good by then, and I also predict your second surgery will be much easier---surely he will not break that femur, too. That would look real bad for him:whistle: Will you be having anterior again?
 
Hi Dede, the doc does the measurement x-rays 10 days before the surgery, the fake artificial hip is graduated with the measurements, then he does what your did too,

I was also thinking about your exercises and putting your foot on your knee to put your socks on, well it actually reminded me that that was the way I always put on my socks, but my legs have been bad for so long, that I forgot. I would scoot back onto the bed with my legs and feet on it and put on my socks, well I felt good when I could return to that and not use the sock aid, it was never even occuring to me the way it was usually done. I then attempted putting my foot on my knee and Walaa, I put my sock on like a normal person.:yay:. I can't do it with my right, but that okay for now, Thansk for reminding me on how to put on my socks, Dede, we get so used to adapting that we don't remember how it was.

sissy46, I sure hope your right in that he doesn't fracture the other hip, but I look at is this way, if he does I at least will have a good leg this time, whereas this time, it was 2 bad legs
 
bellaroma I bet the chances of that happening are next to zero. And you're right, next time you will be recovering with a good hip to fall back on---I mean, depend upon---instead of limping along with another pre-op hip. All of us warriors will be sure to stick around to see you through this next surgery, although I'm sure you'll have a cadre of March hippies to get to share your experience with as well. You'll be very valuable to them, having just recovered from the first one.
 
Beth, I too am learning the new ways of doing what most people feel are simple things like putting on shoes and socks. This morning as I got up I decided I need to get ready for work next week. I decided to go through what is/would be my regular routine. I was pleasantly surprised I made good time getting up, doing my initial stretches and exercises, showering including washing my hair and getting dressed (only needed hubby to pull up one of my socks). The question will be how much I'll be yearning to take a nap mid-day! I actually hadn't been napping much since about week 3, but considering all the things we did yesterday morning, hubby and I both took a good nap! Well, just going to take it as it comes...
 
I know what you mean, taking some drives on my own to do errands and to test my firtitude, just a few hours each, and I will feel zonked after, but I am just going to take it 1 step at a time and see how it goes on Wednesday
 
Dede, your x-rays look great. Your office will be pretty quiet when you return. My district is closed until January 7th. Our school grades were released by the state DOE on Friday. My school earned an "A" rating. Lots of celebrating going on. My faculty and staff (as well as myself) will receive a nice little bonus sometime in February for our efforts.

In honor of our FREEZING COLD weather down here, I made some homemade chicken and barley soup today. Used some Everglades seasoning for flavor and followed it up with a super easy cobbler made by yours truly.

My grandson and I made cut out cookies this afternoon and just finished icing them. I put a bit of sour cream in the dough and it makes the cookies come out (and stay) so soft after baking. Yummy!

Do you have any family coming in for the holidays?

Tammy
 
Thanks, Tammy. Congrats on the great report card and woop, woop for the bonus! Most of our schools will start back on the 2nd or 3rd, but a few might trickle back on the 7th.

Sounds like you had a fun granny night last night and a nice afternoon cooking up a storm. The cookies sound so good! Yum!! Did Bandit get his ice cream too? :heehee:

It's just hubby and I this year. Family is 3000 miles in each direction...That's OK, we'll make the phone call rounds though!! We're going to have some prime rib steaks and mashed potatoes and probably green beans. I'm going to make chocolate cheesecake for New Year's weekend, so we'll keep Christmas dessert pretty simple...
 
Oh had a duh! moment while I was fixing dinner tonight (scratch spaghetti sauce). Actually, it was when I was putting some dishes away. I went to put a cake pan in a lower cabinet and without thinking (obviously) squatted down to slide it under another pan and both of my knees were screaming! :groan: Then I had to grab hold of the counter a bit stronger than I was already hanging on to pull myself back up. My hips both felt fine. Then I thought to myself, what an idiot. I hadn't squatted down like that in almost 6 weeks and it was no wonder the muscles around my knees were mad! Luckily they felt fine once I got straightened up. Then I proceeded to do some counter squats. OK just another project to work on over the next week or so...
 
"Help, help! I squatted and I can't get up!" Do you have a medic alert button to push? Made me think, I haven't seen that old chestnut of a commercial or the "clap it on, clap it off," one either.
Take good care of those knees (and I need to as well) or we'll be meeting on the other forum :gaah:
 
Dede, feel lucky you weren't reaching for the elusive light bulb. Great job on pulling yourself up on the counter. No butt-slides for you. My PT has me doing some modified squatting. I have to stand between the parallel bars and then lean back and squat like I am going to sit down. I keep telling her that this is bad form and squats should be executed below parallel. She is not amused!

Got to do a 1-legged bridge this morning! That's the big news on this front.

I love cheesecake of any flavor. Yes, Bandit gets his ice cream with me every night before bed.

Tammy
 
sissy46 Hahaha....I'm just glad I didn't have to call hubby in from the other room to muscle me up! We watched a movie while I was off with Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore that had an old Irish woman as a tenant in a NY brownstone and there was this ongoing thing with a clapper. Very funny!! I asked doc about the medic alert tag and he said unless I have something more serious (like drug allergies), he thinks it probably isn't necessary just for the hip. Of course, that wouldn't have beckoned anyone!

Damn! I leave the bulb changing to the other half. It might take a little while to get it done, but the procrastinator eventually gets to it!! I just leave him a honey-do list. I've been doing the shallow wall squats (feet about 12-18 inches from wall and getting down to about 70 degrees, but obviously the deep squat was WAYYYY past that. I stretched my knees out this morning with my exercises by sitting on my heels on top of my cushy bed. I haven't ventured down to the floor yet. I'll definitely make sure someone else is around to help me up from that the first time!!

Congrats on the 1-legged bridge! They can be tough without a THR!!! Wait until you get to balance that bottom foot on a ball! So I'm thinking you can now justify Bandit getting ice cream every night since you can take him to PT and put him on the treadmill! Not sure how either of my boys would have done with that!!! We thought of it but never tried it since at the time we had a manual treadmill. I also like any kind of cheesecake. It is a recipe I got from a senior admin when I was in the Navy around 1985. She also gave me the recipe for Mrs. Fields CChip cookies that I still use to this day! I am also fortunate to have a cube neighbor at work that is the Queen of Cheesecakes. She makes some gorgeous ones, let me tell you! Ugh, just talking about that is making me hungry. Time for breakfast!! Have fun at the Village tomorrow morning!
 
Going out for a sinful breakfast seems to have become a Christmas tradition for us. We started it about 6 or 7 years ago. I always go for the extra large cinnamin roll with cream cheese icing and wash it down with a large hot chocolate. Gives me a great sugar rush!

Would love your chocolate chip cheesecake recipe if you feel like sharing :) You won't even have to wrap it ;)


Tammy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom