Guest viewing is limited

Decisions, decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Decisions, decisions
Just tell the anesthesiologist to be sure you get enough sedation that you don't "know" anything about what's going on. I had spinal and sedation---never knew a thing 'til it was all over. That's the way it usually works.


I personally know of only one person who heard things during surgery---she had spinal and sedation. She didn't see anything or feel anything, but could here some sawing and banging. She said it did not bother her at the time and, if she needed her other knee done, she'd do it again with the same anesthesia.
 
Hi Faith (Sooty)

Thanks so much for your message, I'm finding it really tough at the moment. Is not so much the pain, but restriction in lifestyle and being able to look after myself easily, and the Waiting! No date as yet, trying to be patient. I'll give it one more week and then phone the hospital. Would hate for my notes to have gone missing or something.

I am amazed at how many people in their 40s are going through this. It makes me feel so sorry of those who years ago were denied this operation I their 40s, and had to wait in such pain for years before being allowed one. People look at me in shock when I say I'm having a THR, thinking I'm too young, but it's good to know that it's quite a common age.

Thanks for your own story about the spinal. It's good to know. I think I will ask for it too. I'm not looking forward to the morphine, I've never had it before and it does seem to make a lot of people feel or be sick.

It must have been quite a shock when you found out you had dysplasia. I found out a long time ago, maybe late 20s early 30s, because I had a few X-rays for other complaints and injuries and it was picked up. I was told then that it would mean an earlier THR but I didn't realise quite this early.

I'll have a look on the other side to see how you're doing, looks like you must still have weight bearing restrictions. I can imagine that's been very frustrating for you. How do they compensate for the dysplasia when putting in the new joint?

Cheers
Diane
 
Diane, any word on a date yet? Hope you are hanging in there and trying to not overdo it!

:friends:
 
Haha, funny you should ask today dede62 & Poppet!

I couldn't stand the wait any longer and finally phoned the hospital today. Operation is scheduled!!! 19th of February, with a pre-op on the 8th. I feel quite excited to have a date at last. It's a 3 day holiday weekend here, so will make sure I do as much final prep as I can., and celebrate. :happydance:
 
Fantastic... Finally I can pop you on a surgery list Kiwi... Excellent!
 
Yay! You really are going to get it done! I was starting to think they forgot about you!! Now your final prep can begin.

:yay:
 
WooHoo! That is just around the corner! :happydance: you will be on the other side soon. Don't forget about arranging for your breakfast in bed :wink:
 
Hi octopus i let my aneasthologiest decide and he went with spinal which for 24hrs was fantastic I barely felt pin prick and next thing I know was waking up in recovery pain level 1/2 out of 10 for 24 hrs then once it wore off we should perhaps have got on top if it a bit more quickly and got stuck in with the harder drugs straight up but perhaps staff had their reason and had to let anesthetic wear off? Anyways within a couple of hrs all manged no problem with combination of drugs like endone etc.

I realized that when I let the very experienced professionals do their jobs they rarely disappoint and personally was wrapped with my hospital staff knowledge and service , I hope you experience the same :) and am quite positive you should .
Four days on sooo happy I can put op angst finally behind me I was driving myself insane !!! :)
 
Me too dede62! I'm so pleased I phoned, it's been much better the last couple of days, knowing the date. I can now book in those last minute things like hair appt etc. Family and friends are so pleased for me. Have had offers of meals, housework and trips out & about when I am able.

So very close now, nerdgrrl. I'm doing my best, with some success to not freak out too much. Have prepared my breakfast in bed tray :) Woo hoo, I'll be on the other side soon!

Hi stargirl, thanks for sharing your anaesthetic experience. Good idea, letting them decide. My only concern is perhaps panicking if I could hear the noise of the surgery, but I'm guessing they give enough sedation so that doesn't happen.

Thanks heaps
Diane
 
Hi Diane. Just tell them you don't want to feel or hear a thing, thank you very much. It has has always worked for me. However, I did once enjoy watching my own colonoscopy!
 
Diane, make sure you take up all offers of help and support. You'll be glad you did when you are recovering!

As far as the anesthesia, I had the spinal (never had it before this) but had an issue after I was all finished in recovery and back in my room. My system didn't appreciate the morphine. Took us a couple days to stop all of the nausea. If I have to do this on the other side (she says in a quiet voice), I'll just let them know what happened so they can plan accordingly. Unfortunately once you've done the post-op nausea/vomitting thing, more than likely it will happen again...bummer for me. :cry: Hopefully being better prepared will help. :beg:

I'm sure it will all fall into place for you. Focus on what you have control of and roll with the rest of it! :thumb:
 
Hi Kiwi

I opted for a spinal (SO, thought I was crazy... In fact he asked the Anesthetist if he could be knocked out :rotfl: )

I said to my team, don't want to hear anything, see anything or smell anything... That worked a treat...

Must admit, I have always been amused because my OS used to call me Miss Perky... I often wondered if I was chatty whilst under... Hahaha... Wouldn't be at all surprised, I have a curious mind..
 
Thanks poppet. I said to the anaesthetist i saw on the 7th that I didn't want to know anything that was going on and he said that would mean a general, but to discuss it more with the anaesthetist on the day. I think if I can be mostly out if it I will be quite happy. Just as well I don't talk in my sleep, I don't want to be giving up any secrets or entertaining the theatre staff!
 
Oh, lord! I talk in my sleep all of the time. :shocked: Everyone was really nice afterwards so I mustn't have said anything too awful if I did. :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom