Guest viewing is limited

Decisions, decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know from my nursing and being in theatre there is often a bit of chattering... and then of course there is the music...
 
I had my pre-op on Friday, I was so nervous all morning, had to keep visiting the toilet! :yikes: Not that I was nervous about the pre-op, but it makes everything so much more real. I also managed to get the time for my appointment wrong (was late by an hour!) but had a lovely nurse who said not to worry and stayed after her finish time to do my appointment.

I had xrays, blood tests etc. and a talk with the nurse on what to expect. There was nothing new there, thanks to Bonesmart, but it was good to find out things that pertain to my situation.

Apparently there is a class, but they are only once a month and there aren’t enough places for everyone to go, so I won’t be going, but I don’t feel like I really need it. I found out that I will probably have staples, but the best news is that I will have a waterproof dressing and will be able to shower in the hospital probably on day 2 or 3. :yes!:

I also finally found out what aids will be provided, rather last minute! I will get a shower seat and a raised toilet seat. I bought a grabber and my mum already has one, so I will have two. I’m told they are helpful for pulling up one’s pants as well as picking things up.
I’ve finally taken a photo of my xray, this was taken about mid 2011, so I expect there is quite a difference now. I’m hoping to get copies of the ones just taken at the pre-op. I’ve taken it the wrong way around, so my right hip is the one on viewed on the left.

I have also started my surgery/recovery journal, have included a couple of pics.


[Bonesmart.org] Decisions, decisions
[Bonesmart.org] Decisions, decisions
[Bonesmart.org] Decisions, decisions
 
Ooh, I like the journals! On the x-ray, even I can see why you are in pain. Sounds like you are well prepared!
 
Wow Octopus.. what a pair! And how creative are you? That work is gorgeous. However, I am betting you a Canadian dollar that you won't be doing much of that for a while after surgery. If you are anything like me, I had the post-op spaceys for about 2 weeks. Just lolled, stared at TV taking nothing in, ate prunes, toddled to the loo, consumed what was kindly put in front of me, poked around with my grabber, ate prunes -- repeat. I took all sorts of stuff to the hospital because I am the planning type and I need to read all the time. But I just lolled, pressed the drug button, lifted the leg when told, toddled to the loo, zoned out, took pills when told.....repeat. I am in awe of people who post condition-updates on iPads from their beds-- I could have cared less. Nothing mattered except push button! I did ask my husband to bring in fruit salad, prunes and yoghurt drinks because hospital food, at least up here over the line, is actually inedible. I will be very impressed if you are engaged in any cerebral or creative activity for at least three weeks post-surgery. Hmm, as our dollars are at par, I doubt either of us will get rich from that bet.
 
Hi octopus,
İ have been suffering in my mind to "decide" when to get my operation.(RTHR but a complicated one)
Last year it took me 6 months to decide where and with which surgeon. İ wanted to find the surgeon who has expeience in complicated hips. Now that is settled, the next question is when.
İ am not happy with my quality of life, and i think as time gets longer the agony increases.
İ will go call my surgeon and tell him that i decided!!!
Most probably it will be the last week of february.
Greetings from istanbul
Selin
 
I got really excited when I saw those pics of your journal I think that's a fantastic thing to do. I tried to enlarge to see what you'd put but it was too blurry! It's such a good idea to put everything together in the one place. I have masses of notes, photos etc but not at all organized - you've inspired me to start a new project!
I have to say I felt exactly like Vida in the first couple of weeks (thought I was reading about my own recovery Vida!) but if that happens for you too you can save all your bits and pieces and enjoy putting them in your journal later.
Lots of hugs
UK Diane xxxxxxxxxxxx
 
You never know, though, how you're going to feel post-op. I was reading Game of Thrones in the recovery room, and finished 300 pages before I went home----so have something along to read, just in case.
Your pre-op hip looks really gnarly, but the other one looks nice and clean!
 
Heck Sissy - I couldn't even manage a tiny magazine article!

Diane I was having another look at your journal pages - have you made a little door there? Would love to know what's behind it - you're giving me all sorts of ideas for my journal!

Selin So glad to hear that you have made the decision to go ahead soon - why spend any longer in agony when a new pain free life can be yours. I see you live in Istanbul - it is, for me and my husband, our most favourite place in all the world! We first visited for our 25th wedding anniversary in 2001 and were lucky enough to be able to visit again the following year. We were planning on another trip in April this year to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday but my hip had other ideas!

Best wishes

UK Diane xxx
 
lovegardening
Hi Diane
Thanks for your comments. Yes, it is a difficult process to ''decide''. ALL in the platform are recommending to get over with the operation...This week I will set the date.
Maybe a couple of months later, you may consider a trip to Istanbul. I will recommend you a nice hotel in the old city area. I hope your recovery is on track as well. How are you doing?
cheers,
selin
 
I'm surprised that your anesthetist said you would have to have general anesthesia in order to not hear anything. So many people on here say they have had a spinal and don't hear or feel anything. As far as I know I'm having a spinal because my OS said he wants me up walking a few hours after the surgery and I could only do that by not being put under with general anesthesia.
 
Thanks for all your messages!

Hi nerdgrrl, I am pleased to be able to see for myself what's wrong with my hip. I am very interested to see the X-rays taken the other day. I should have asked at the time but there was so much else going on and other things to do. I have only recently noticed how the hip sticks out so much more than the good one.

Vida hi honorary Diane. I've got all kinds of things planned so I can pick what takes my fancy. I think all I'll be taking to hospital is a book, and a mag to read if I can't cope with the book. I have bought myself a cheap notebook to make notes for the first few weeks, so I'm not writing drug induced rubbish in my journal. :heehee:

sansabosa hi Selin, I have to say that the hardest part of this process so far was making the decision to have surgery, that and the last few weeks of waiting before I got my date. I felt a lot better after having decided. Congratulations on deciding to go ahead! I look forward to following your progress :)

lovegardening hi UK Diane! Thanks for your lovely comments about my journal. I'll post some more pics along the way. I haven't yet worked out how to resize them on my ipad so I did these on my laptop, but have made them too small! I haven't made a door, but what a good idea! When you've done some on yours, post some pics too. The first photo has a pocket on it, the second is just a black and green border around the picture. But you could stick some pages together and then cut out a frame or door.

Hi sissy46, I'm really pleased my other hip is good, I'm hoping to not have to do this again. The surgeon said I have very good bones, so I am able to donate my bone, which in a couple of years after testing etc, can be used in other bone surgeries. Also hoping I wont get the post of fuzzies, but I'm not holding out much hope, I have the pre-op fuzzies, doing dumb things like getting my appointment wrong by an hour, and forgetting things etc. :whistle:

Hi sandybeach, I've decided I'm going to be brave and choose the spinal with sedation, it sounds like the much better option.

Best wishes
Kiwi Diane
 
octopus
Decision is taken.
My OS called me that he can schedule me on the 20th of February. Tomorrow I will go to the hospital for lab work and see the anesthesiologists.
It took so looong to decide.
9 more days of sleepless nights due to anxiety!
 
Selin, just visualize yourself pain free and strong. Focus on practical things and think about how much joy you will have with your family. You will soon have a new lease on life. When I made the decision, things actually got easier. All your pain will soon be history.
 
oh yes! octopus.
lets hope our agony and anxiety will be over very soon.
will this be your first operation?
 
You hanging in Diane? I am so excited for you and Selin. It is my birthday on the 18th (which will be your 19th) and it will be the first pain free dinner out I've had in some time. I will raise my glass to you and sansabosa, two brave new warriors for our bonesmart army. In fact I plan to raise it several times now I don't have to worry about taking any pain drugs!
 
Vida, H. Diane, I'm doing really well, I was really nervous before my pre-op, but so far have been quite calm and not too anxious. Ask me again in a couple of days :heehee:

Happy birthday for the 18th! Raise your glass plenty of times, for you mostly! Sounds like you have had quite a hard time. I haven't had a chance to catch up on your thread, but plan to do so when I'm with it enough. Must be a lucky day, a friend of mine is due to give birth on the 19th.

sansabosa, Hi Selin, no, it's not my first surgery, I've had quite a few over the years, but it is the most major. It will be my first without a general anaesthetic. I'm certainly looking forward to the time when I'm no longer in pain. The last few days I've been relatively anxiety free, but it's bound to start in full force nearer the time.
 
sansabosa Diane and Selin how fantastic that you will be going through your surgeries so close together. I can't wait to see you both posting on the other side with the op behind you and a sunny future to look forward to.

Diane, when will you be going over to your Mum's? Thanks for the journaling ideas - that's all mine is at the minute - an idea but I'll certainly send a pic when I have something concrete!
Selin, we certainly will be making the Istanbul trip at some point. I'll post on your thread about my Istanbul dreams!

Hugs for you both

UK Diane xxxxxxxxxx
 
You never know, though, how you're going to feel post-op. I was reading Game of Thrones in the recovery room, and finished 300 pages before I went home----so have something along to read, just in case.
Your pre-op hip looks really gnarly, but the other one looks nice and clean!

It never ceases to amaze me how different we all are.. sissy46 you have been such a star all through your recovery so far.. Reading in the recovery room... I am so impressed :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom