Guest viewing is limited

Decisions, decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diane, sorry 'bout that, thought your appointment was the 3rd... I'll be watching for an update!

Well, I'm back at work. Worked 3 days last week and 3 this week with all the holidays. Just kinda worked out that way... I can't believe I hit 8 weeks this Monday! Last week I had issues with fatigue during the day which got better as the week went on. This week I was having more issues with my lower back which hadn't bothered me at all while I was at home for 6 weeks. Wed night and today (all day) was the worst. Started back up on the tylenol and muscle relaxers to calm things down. Luckily not getting the brain drain. But overall things in my hip are better than they've been in a long while. I am going to start increasing my walking to see if that loosens things up. I found I obviously sit way too long and need to get up more often. I'll figure it out!
 
dede62, can you take ice packs with you to work? I found that when I went back to the office, I used them all the time for back ache.. Just a thought :)
 
Hi octopus

Just dropped by to wish you good luck on Monday at your Pre surgery apt with the anesthetist..

I so want to out your official surgery date on the January list :) hugs xx
 
dede62, wow, eight weeks! I hope the backache gets better soon.

Thanks Poppet, I want to be on the January list too!
 
I have OA in my lower back and have suffered with a 'bad back' for many years following slipping on a wet floor and sustaining a hairline fracture. Immediately following surgery and for about two to three months after, I was amazed that I didn't have backache. I thought that the RTHR and the process of realigning my body had just got rid of the dreadful pain.

Imagine my shock when suddenly the backache was evident again and constant. That was when I researched the Nordic Walking as I realized using the poles would take the pressure off my lower back and would strengthen my core muscles. Something to think about for yourself maybe? dede62
 
Poppet, yes I have an icepack in the freezer at work and totally forgot about it. :doh: I have some new poles in the trunk of my car I got a few years ago and have not had a chance to use them with everything going on with my hips. I'm going to go back to your thread and look at the NW video you posted and also take a look at the cd that came with the poles. I'm going to set myself a reminder to take an icepack for my consult on Tuesday (1+ hour drive) and I'll have the other one at work when I get back in the afternoon.

Thanks Diane, my back feels much better today.
 
dede62 Ice packs are wonderful... I still use them if I over stretch a muscle. At 13 months post, I don't need pain meds, so the ice pack works wonders.

When we do our 3 hour road trip, I always have either an ice pack or hot water bottle at my back..
 
Well, had anaesthetic review this afternoon. Anaesthetist turned out to be someone who knows my best friend very well as she has worked at the same hospital for years.

He has approved me for anaesthetic, so now this approval goes back to the booking clerk, who will book me in for surgery and I will get a letter in the mail letting me know the date. His estimation of the date is within the next month or two, which is within the range that the surgeon said back in October. So here's hoping for a date later in the month, or next week, whichever suits! :heehee:

Question: Anaesthetist said that it would be better for me to have a spinal and sedation (due to my small sized jaw and acid reflux), but I'm really afraid of hearing any sawing etc. during the surgery. How has this worked for any of you?
 
Hello! Good to hear your appointment went well :thumb: Here's hoping your appointment is scheduled for really soon.!

Regarding the anesthesia - what your anesthesiologist describes is what I had. I can tell you that I remember them telling me to bend over so they could prep me for the spinal block, and then the next thing I remember is the recovery room. I was also afraid of hearing or feeling things during the surgery. I have a memory of feeling the pressure wave when they were hammering in the staple for my ACL reconstruction on my knee. I have a vague memory of a mild freak out during that surgery. I shared that with the anesthesiologist. He said he would do his best, and seems to have succeeded. If I did hear anything, I absolutely no memory of it. I think you will hear similar stories from others who had the same anesthetic.

It is also lower risk than general, and I think has lower incidence of nausea. I had lunch as soon as I got to my room after surgery. With my knee surgeries I had nausea problems, but no problems at all this time!

Let us know when you get your appointment and if you have more questions :). Don't forget to remind them that you'll take any cancellation slots :angel:
 
Thanks nerdgrrl, that's good to know. :)

I did forget to remind him about cancellations, I'll phone the booking clerk. Wow, you are brave going for the spinal after your experience with your knee. Interestingly I told him about the bad dreams i have and distress I wake up in from generals (except the last one), and he said it was probably because I experienced some level of consciousness. I must just have to be brave, it will be another new experience for me.
 
I should clarify that the first knee surgery I had a general, and the second I had an epidural. The freakout was more that i was afraid i would feel pain. I did not actually feel any pain, it was an odd sensation, actually. And they were both more than 20 years ago so anesthesiology has made some advances in that time as well! I am sure yours will go fine.
 
Diane,

I had the spinal and light anesthesia for my hip in November. Can say I didn't hear the wrecking crew but I did get sick from the morphine he put in the spinal. It was supposed to stay local and it went systemic - ah I always have to be different. :shrug: Other than the nausea and after in my room, both legs were numb. My non-operated side took longer to lose the numbing sensation. Anethesiologist said that was because when laying on that side the meds can pool that way - i.e.gravity. still all in all just a few hours. I had surgery at 7:30 and was standing at 15:00.

Just let them know if you've had any reactions in the past and they can work things out. Anesthesia has come a long way over the years as Nerdgrrl said.

Here's hoping to getting that date soon!!! :friends:
 
octopus hi Diane, sounds as though your appointment went well.

Regards the spinal... My SO thought I was nuts when I said I was going to ask for one.. But anyway I said to the anesthetist....

'This is the rule... I don't want to hear anything, smell anything, see anything or engage in any conversation in the OR, in other words - knock me out'...

Just remember to say that.. :)

Sadly I have to take you off the January list.... But lets hope it is only temporary and I can put you back on :) fingers crossed hon!
 
Been feeling a bit low about not getting a date yet, finding it harder to move around these days. But did make the effort to go out with friends today, took a train, bus and ferry trip, where we sat on the beach and got some sun and fresh sea air. It was a gorgeous day here in Auckland. Really tired and hip is quite sore, but it was worth it. Saw these knitted poles in the village we visited.
[Bonesmart.org] Decisions, decisions
[Bonesmart.org] Decisions, decisions
[Bonesmart.org] Decisions, decisions
[Bonesmart.org] Decisions, decisions
 
Love the pics. Can honestly say that I've never seen knitted poles before.

Sorry your hip is so sore. Rest if you can. Hopefully not long now! Come on, our Kiwi Warrior needs her date so she can battle the world!
 
dede62 you need to come into town and take a look at Occidental park (near Seahawks field). Last time I was there someone had yarn bombed a bunch of the trees and lamp poles. Fun to see!

Octopus - I can't believe you haven't heard yet! Do we need to send the warrior posse to come give the scheduler a little "gentle" reminder? Glad you were able to get out to the beach. It looks so lovely! We have had some frigid but beautifully sunny weather here. Unfortunately, I am still recovering from the flu, so I can't really spend much time outside yet :(
 
Had to laugh Octopus when I saw the poles. In my community there is an art project involving knitted 'sweaters' for trees lining the main street. My mother who is 88 and VERY opinionated (to put it mildly) phoned the council to complain that it isn't art, the she doesn't like it and anyway its bad for the trees. (She once phoned the police to tell them she thought a local Persian restaurant was a terrorist hangout so you'll get the picture.) Well the head of the arts council called her back and explained that the wool would be collected in April and reknitted into something else. I just know that poor woman got an earful abou how three months of rain would shrink the wool and damage the branches..... Anyhoo, I had a combination of anesthesia and it was fine, just like nerdgrrl, But because there was a snag I was given some more during surgery. Spent four nights in hospital and with the morphine pump, I barely remember a thing, which was fine with me.
 
Thanks dede62, nerdgrrl & Vida.

Nerdgrrl, thanks for your offer of a Warrior Posse! Great idea! Hoping to get that letter this week, but if not, despatch them ASAP. Really shouldn't complain, have only been waiting 3 months on waiting list so far, the usual wait being about 6 months.

Vida, the story about your mother made me laugh! She sounds quite a character.
 
Question: Anaesthetist said that it would be better for me to have a spinal and sedation (due to my small sized jaw and acid reflux), but I'm really afraid of hearing any sawing etc. during the surgery. How has this worked for any of you?

Hi Octopus, from a fellow Antipodean on the 'other' side of a THR!

We have quite a bit in common, I'm 46 and have dysplasia/OA. I was diagnosed 5 years ago with OA but the dysplasia was only made known to me the day before the op - still coming to terms with that little message. :shocked: I always thought I was WAY too young for a THR but after spending time on this forum I don't feel that way anymore.

I was on a waiting list was 2 mths, I got called up for Nov 20. In September I was dreading it, in November I could hardly walk anymore and was glad it would be over soon. I can imagine it's been driving you crazy to get a date? Have you still not heard anything?

I was advised by the anaethetist to have an epidural instead of a general. It's supposed to offer better pain control directly after the operation (til you get hooked up with a morphine pump or whatever) AND I am slightly allergic to a general and always throw up afterwards. I was very nervous as I'd never had an epidural before and was absolutely terrified of being even slightly awake during the operation. They assured me I wouldn't be and I wasn't. I heard nothing at all, woke up just as they finished stitching me up feeling nothing. Putting the epidural in was also no problem. So I'm almost a big fan now! It's kind of weird having no feeling in your legs for a few hours, but it wears off quickly.

Unfortunately the morphine I got after the op DID make me feel sick. You can't win 'em all......

Good luck and hope you get a date soon, life changes from that moment on and you can start working towards a pain-free future.

Cheers from Faith (a.k.a. Sooty)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom