Bilateral TKR Debs 2 new knees<

Can you ask to be prescribed Tramadol? It's a useful step-down drug from the heavy duty narcotics. Taken in combination with Tylenol, it works well for most people. I just had Tramadol and Tylenol for pain control after the first two weeks and they worked fine for me.
 
Well I was stressing for nothing. Went to GP who didn't want to reduce meds just yet and had no trouble writing me scripts. I am just relieved to have them there if I need them - I have noticed some days I will have two oxy and some days I need 4. Today has been particularly sore but went out for my first "big" trip since surgery to GP and pharmacy. Also discovered I can get up off the sofa/recliner without a booster cushion. No doubt this is using my muscles more and they are protesting a little today.
Thanks @tjcteacher patience is not my strong point nor is not being independent. It's great to hear from someone who is doing well post bilateral.
 
4 week BTKR anniversary today . Celebrated by sleeping a 6 hour block last night, admittedly though in the recliner. No matter how many pillows I still cannot get comfortable in bed. My right leg is bending well (will get some numbers tomorrow when I start outpatient PT). My right leg is my problem child with more swelling and hence less ROM. I know it's common but still baffles me how the same surgery with the same OS on the same day and same post op activity etc can have such a different journey, although the problem child was the worst one pre-op.
I have a very gentle PT who doesn't push and advocates the stop if it hurts regime. I was in rehab for 2 weeks and currently doing ROM 'exercises'
 
Just throwing it out there.........
I find my knees are a lot more stiffer and tighter when I get up after icing than when I haven't been .
 
I also feel like that after icing. I am thinking it is from the knee being in one position for a long time.
 
My right leg is my problem child with more swelling and hence less ROM. I know it's common but still baffles me how the same surgery with the same OS on the same day and same post op activity etc can have such a different journey, although the problem child was the worst one pre-op.
Your last sentence is the answer! Your "problem" knee was in worse condition before the surgery, so it probably needed more work during surgery - more moving of soft tissues, possibly more cutting and shaping. So, it's not really surprising that it needs longer to recover. That's why we advise people not to compare knees. Each knee is on its own recovery journey.

I find my knees are a lot more stiffer and tighter when I get up after icing than when I haven't been .
I also feel like that after icing. I am thinking it is from the knee being in one position for a long time.
RMasano is correct. You do realise that you don't have to keep your knee absolutely still while you're icing and elevating, don't you? You can take a short break now and then, to move and bend your knee.
 
You are really doing well Deb!! Glad your dr. had no issues with the refills. It eases one's mind just knowing.
 
Hi @DebM. Sounds like you are over the biggest hump. My OS insisted I stay on Naproxen, lyrica and topentadol for 3 months. He said to come off too soon interferes with early movement and said "and quite frankly you'll become a bit of a brat!" He said bilaterals needed pain relief for longer.

I was seeing my GP every 2 weeks as the topentadol can only be issued in 28's. I'm not 3 months yet (11weeks), but I chose to come off topentadol this week as I was only taking 1 for a week to see how I went. I can't take Tramadol so I am now taking panadeine with codeine to replace it. I also dropped lyrica to 1 a day but my skin would "burn" and my sensitive incision was on steroids. So for now I've added that back in as well.

Be kind to yourself. Don't rush and don't panic to come off the meds.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @jaschembra and @Roxy35. I am not in a rush to get off the pain meds. Really it was only the rehab dr while I was at inpatient rehab that was stressing about meds reduction. Went to my first outpatient physio today and they encouraged taking the pain meds also.
Sounds like you are doing well Roxy. I look forward to a time when I can confidently say I am glad I did this - at the moment it teeters between glad and what have I done
 
@DebM I am doing well but that doesn't stop me being impatient or having bad days and set backs. What I am pleased about is I have come to the point where I can say I am happy I've done this. I'm disappointed that some things I could do before surgery are still not able to be done yet (like getting on and off the floor). But daily living activities like walking, standing in a queue, shopping, standing up and cooking a meal, these things I can now do.
In July I am going camping. I will be sleeping on a raised blow up mattress for 2 weeks. Now that is going to be a test.
 
I still have issues getting off of the floor or ground. My ortho told me never to kneel on my new knees so can't get up.
 
I get up by turning face down and then pushing up with my arms and gradually walking them back towards my feet, until I can stand up. It's not elegant, but it works.

If you still go to PT, this is one thing you can ask your therapist to help with. You do need to be able to get up off the floor, just in case you are ever in a situation where there is no one to help.
 
Despite elevation, ice and only gentle stretches and exercises (eg heel slides) my left knee feels like its full of concrete. My right knee is quite free. I know they are regularly both different. Just venting!
 
Your left knee will improve slowly, at its own pace. Keep on doing as you are, with plenty of rest, ice and elevation and the "log leg" feeling will gradually go away.

You've just done a month, out of a recovery that takes a full year, so don't expect fast improvements.
Both your knees are going to heal well, but they're each doing it on their own schedules.
 
I am getting there @msehphdjd but very slowly. I am sadly lacking in patience . Left leg is still slower than right leg but am walking around the house with no canes and short walks outside with just one. I see my OS in a week and a half for my post op visit so that might help put my mind at ease that I am doing ok. Sleep like most people is elusive.
How are doing? No further issues with your dvt I hope.
 
Put my brave pants on and tackled the 15 steps to upstairs today. Easier than I thought with a cane and a rail. Did up and down twice today and now not surpringly my knees and quads are sore.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom