Bilateral TKR Debs 2 new knees<

I asked my PT about the CPM machine and she said OS aren't really using them anymore. She sees them with more "old-school OS". I have no idea if the CPM machine is beneficial or not but that was what she told me. I looked it up and it looks like torture!
 
Studies have shown that whether you use a CPM or not makes no difference at all to your eventual outcome.
 
So just reiterated to the rehab doctor I was not doing cpm. If I had gone home rather than inpatient I wouldn't have had it anyway as they dont send them home. My OS didnt mind if I stayed in or went home.
I felt the Dr didn't really hear but anyway - no more cpm, Increasing pain meds, Continuing pt. as it is almost the weekend I will have 2 sessions today, 1 tomorrow and none Sunday. This will give it a chance to settle down a little and with lots of ice and elevation hopefully will get back to how it was a couple of days ago.
 
My OS sends one home but the hospital no longer supplies them in patient rooms since about half of the doctors are no longer using them. I had tried it and actually like the relaxed movement, but it caused my knee to swell so I chose to stop using the CPM this week in order to allow more of the PT exercises.

Pretty soon you will be home! You're doing well!!
 
Well 36 hours after stopping cpm my knees feel better already. The nurses told me off for stopping but pt said it made no difference. My knees are certainly more comfortable and hubby said I was walking better.
Yesterday was a blue day when I cried all day at everything - even when people were nice to me. Hopefully that was my rock bottom and things will improve.
 
I'm sorry you had a blue day. Everyone gets them, but that doesn't make you feel any better at the time, I know.
You're in the hardest part of recovery now and things will get better. :friends:
 
I haven't had any experience with cpm, because my OS doesn't use them. I am glad that you are feeling better after stopping. On the other hand, I have had my share of blue days during my long recovery from both knees, and I know I will probably have a few more. One good thing though, is that a good cry always makes you feel better afterwards. I had done my homework and warned my hubby that those days would come along with all the rest, and he has been great just taking it in stride when I am weepy or cranky. I hope today is a better day for you.
 
@msehphdjd Hi things have improved a little since stopping the cpm. Pain is a little less. Hubby thinks I am walking better but still very stiff and tight. Managed to get a decent sleep last night but the downside is I am now very stiff.
I am getting to that point where you want more progress but you have to try and not get frustrated it's moving at snail pace.
How are things going with you?
 
@msehphdjd Hi things have improved a little since stopping the cpm. Pain is a little less. Hubby thinks I am walking better but still very stiff and tight. Managed to get a decent sleep last night but the downside is I am now very stiff.
I am getting to that point where you want more progress but you have to try and not get frustrated it's moving at snail pace.
How are things going with you?

Well... I was going great on Friday afternoon and appear to have overdone my exercises that evening. About an hour after getting in bed I was in agony, my knee/calf just screamed at meeting . I've been in bed almost all weekend, just icing and elevating. I skipped the exercises yesterday (Saturday), but was able to do them, gently, this morning. I feel like I'd have decent ROM if not for the swelling. Fortunately, I was at full extension almost right away and haven't lost that. The absolute worst thing for me continues to be the shift from lying down to standing. The pressure is just so very unpleasant. Not as 'painful' as before, but *very* uncomfortable. If that would lighten up I'd be doing much better. Looking forward to my appointment on Wednesday to see what they have to say. Take care!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Day 10. Pain not greatly under under control. Increased tapentadol slow release which is 12 hourly but it seems to "run out" by the 9th hour. Also dr wants to stop/ greatly reduce oxycodone before I go home Friday as it's difficult to get. So has more than halved my dose. Apart from paracetamol that's all I am on.
My knees especially the right are swollen and tight and feel like they will burst when I try to push the bend a little. I know it's only 10 days but I am just so down about it all at the moment.
 
My OS wanted me off the opioid pretty early as well and just the thought of less pain medicine while I was still having pain was fretful and upsetting to me. What I can tell you is... it will get better. One day at a time. Maybe even one section of a day at a time. Soon you will be feeling the little improvements.
 
Thanks @jaschembra. If I can clear my head I have probably got to the point where part of the day is ok, it's just the last 3 hours of the 12hour slowrelease it turns to ****.
I understand not being on opiates long term and I am happy with that but they need to offer me something to take its place in the interim until I recover more. I am not a big tablet taker relying on mainly paracetamol up to the last couple of months before surgery and then it was only paracetamol/codeine.
The charge nurse on the ward is good but In the dark hours I fantasise about giving the rehab doctor a BTKR!!
 
Rehab doctor is now introducing low dose Lyrica which is used for nerve pain but apparently can enhance painkillers also. HAs anyone had any ecperienice with this medication?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I was on it for a week. I can't tell you if it works or not, because I was on a few things and something was making me extremely dizzy and nauseated. I think it was the combo of the lyrica and norco that didn't agree with me. My insurance wouldn't cover it because it's a drug that apparently the insurance feels is not necessary for TKR. From the research I did, Lyrica is supposed to help with a lot of the nerve pain. It is mainly used to treat fibromyalga.
 
Saw this and thought we could all relate ......
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Debs 2 new knees<
    IMG_0882.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 289
@DebM checking in tonight. I hope the dark days are lessening. How are you doing? I hope things are a bit better for you this week.
 
@Red's Mom thanyou that's sweet of you to ask. Generally I am feeling less desperate. Home from rehab last Thursday. Nice to be able to be in my own surroundings and try to tweak medication times to address the breakthrough pain. Unfortunately it is still there to a degree. Seeing my rehab dr tomorrow so hope she might have some suggestions. She should be happy have greatly reduced my oxycodone which is what they wanted because they can only dispense 20 tablets without another visit to the doctor each time. I think if they can tweak a little and control this breakthrough I could reduce it to mainly at night.
 
It is a bit stressful dealing with pain and dealing with the dr. wanting you to reduce and get off the opiod. Hopefully you will find a good mix and as each day continues, you'll slowly have less pain. Just remember, ice is your other pain reliever. I swear, I lived with my ice and only just recently do I find myself going a few hours at a time without it. You're doing really well!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom