Bilateral TKR Debs 2 new knees<

DebM

senior
Country
Australia Australia
Surgery Thursday morning uneventful. First night in critical care as standard procedure for spinal and intrathecal morphine here. Using cpm twice a day. Standing an taking a few steps with gutter frame. SHower this morning - bliss! Not allowed to elevate but have talked them around to ice for most of the day, they usually only ice here straight after cpm. Probably off to rehab for a littl while until I am a bit more mobile then home where I CAN elevate and ice continuosly. Overall though feeling good for Day 3. Pain controlled well on slow release and Normal Palexia, endone and paracetamol and Celebrex.
Happy I can now focus better on my iPad!

DebM,
Welcome to the Other Side!
Glad to hear you are doing well, and your pain is well controlled.
Be sure to read the article about elevation.

First is the reading - everybody gets a free copy of the recovery reading!

Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Welcome to the other side!!! Been thinking of you. Glad all is going well.

Welcome! I hope all continues to go well as you return home.

Yeah!! Good to see your post. Sounds like you're doing great.

Hope things continue to go well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to the other side! Congratulations on your new knee. I hope you get some sleep tonight.

Went looking for your post today. So pleased it all went well.

Surgery Thursday morning uneventful. First night in critical care as standard procedure for spinal and intrathecal morphine here. Using cpm twice a day. Standing an taking a few steps with gutter frame. SHower this morning - bliss! Not allowed to elevate but have talked them around to ice for most of the day, they usually only ice here straight after cpm. Probably off to rehab for a littl while until I am a bit more mobile then home where I CAN elevate and ice continuosly. Overall though feeling good for Day 3. Pain controlled well on slow release and Normal Palexia, endone and paracetamol and Celebrex.
Happy I can now focus better on my iPad!

Hey, surgery twin! I'm feeling pretty good, too. So interesting how different OS have different preferences. No CPM here, constant ice immediately. PT said, "I can't say it enough, ice and elevation!" They sent me home with a CryoCuff, though they didn't use it in the hospital. Good luck!!

Nice one Debs, the healing can now begin. Be kind to your knees and yourself it's slow at the beginning... you'll get there xxxxx

Thankyou for all your lovely thoughts. DAy 4 and I have just been moved to the hospitals brand new rehabilitation unit for the next week (or two if I need it. Twice a day PT without pushing you to screaming in pain, OT, plenty of ice and leg elevation and a stress on keeping ahead of the pain with meds. Oh and a room with a view of the bay!
After this morning on the ward where trying for 2 hours to get ice packs (mine anyway brought from home) and arguments about raising the end of the bed, I am now in bliss. Onwards and Upwards!
Ps. The bed is so comfy not like normal hospital beds!

Keep healing and don't push it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@DebM sounds like your first few days have gone well. Yeah to the elevate and ice team there! Hope your continuing to do well!

Day 6. Good pain control. Very stiff/tight today from tourniquet during surgery above knee. They tell me that will last a while. Very very gentle pt twice a day for 20-30 minutes. Lots of icing and elevating. They want me to stay in rehab til Friday of next week and as everything is under control at home I just might. Depends when the boredom sets in!

DebM, sounds like things are going your way, I suspect you will be going home soon. I was happy staying in rehab, just because I knew anything less would have been hard on my hubby. Keep up the good work, remember all the good advise you get here, and look forward to the day when you realize the old pain is GONE!!
Blessings,
Lene'

@lene when you were in rehab did you have pt. while my pt is gentle, I am thinking it is contributing to my horrible stiffness/tightness because they both started at the same time. But then the tourniquet banding tightness kicked in also so I don't know. I have committed to this week of rehab for similar reasons for you but am wondering if I am going to have to put up with this tightness/stiffness til home and I try cutting down pt.

Ok so here am I at 1am having just struggled to the toilet in tears. I feel I am going backwards. I have so much stiffness and tightness in my knees i cant put it anywhere. I am thinking it's the cpm which they used for an hour twice a day after surgery and have now started again. My pt I think is gentle and doesn't cause pain at the time. Perhaps I just need to go home and let it all settle doing nothing.

Ugh, sorry to hear that. There are so many different philosophies, I think anyone would be hard pressed to say *this* is what you should do. But, it is certainly possible to overdo it. And, one day of complete rest certainly wouldn't set you back at all. Good luck and keep us posted!

@DebM First, I had a CPM only for the first 24 hours after surgery, I HATED it, It felt like a torture machine. I tolerated it, but I protested and when they took it off the last time, I made them take it right out of the room and told them I was never using it again and if the OS wanted me too he better come see me! Now some folks really like them but not me...
I had stiffness and tightness for weeks, it is part of the deal, but yes I had PT while in Rehab and it made it worse afterwards. It is part of the surgery trauma and swelling. Try to ice and elevate before and after if possible. They wanted to lock down the bottom of the bed and I had to fight that too.
Most of my pain came from getting up and down on the toilet and bed. Walking wasn't too much pain, just getting up and down was the pits! Your first 2-4 weeks will be the least fun but things will start to improve in little increments. Keep the faith!
Blessings
Lene'

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom