Bilateral TKR Debs 2 new knees<

I am now into my 11th week post surgery. Going along slow but steady. I am finding my stamina is my greatest issue, given I am supposed to get back to work in 3 weeks. At least I only work 2 days a week but I am a pharmacy courier so in and out of the car continuously.
Yesterday as a test I spent quite a bit of time on my feet during the day, going to grocery store with hubby and pottering around the house, with some periods of icing and elevating but not sitting a lot until the evening and, you guessed it, could not sleep due to aching knees and more stiff and sore than normal. Not a lot of external swelling but certainly internal tightness which seems to come on fairly quickly when on my feet.
It is such a balance because if I do too little I get stiff and sore but also if I do too much.

It was a good idea to have a trial run, to see how your knees managed. It sounds quite encouraging that you managed it, even if you were sore and stiff by the evening.

Remember, too, that you have 3 more weeks of healing before you start work again. Where your knees are now is not where they will be in 3 weeks' time. They will be even better.

Three months this week since BTKR. I like the fact I don't have the same arthritis pain as pre surgery and that I had them both done at once and don't have to go through this again.
However I don't like that it's really painful when I go from sitting to standing and the first two or three steps. I don't like how my knee feels 'tight' after walking 10-15 minutes. I don't like not sleeping well and waking every time I have to turn over.
I go back to work in a week (I only work Monday and Tuesday) and my job is a busy delivery driver in and out of the car a lot, no heavy lifting as I deliver medications. Work are very supportive but I don't have the option to do less than a full day. The good thing is there is a public holiday here on the Tuesday after my first Monday so if I am super sore at least I don't have to work the next day. I have a fridge in my car so I can carry cold packs to slap on briefly between stops. I am not looking forward to it but it may be okay and better for my knees that sitting behind a desk all day. Time will tell.

However I don't like that it's really painful when I go from sitting to standing and the first two or three steps. I don't like how my knee feels 'tight' after walking 10-15 minutes. I don't like not sleeping well and waking every time I have to turn over.
Deb, I know all these things are frustrating, but they will pass, with time. Your knees are only a quarter of the way through this year-long recovery.

Your knees went through major trauma when they were replaced and they do need time to recover from that. There's a lot of repair work still going on under the surface.

You're really doing extremely well, even though recovery seems endless. Try to remember that where your knees are now is not where they will end up. They're still a work in progress.

Getting up and those first few steps were painful for a few months after I returned to work. I was still depending on my arms when getting up out of my chairs at school. That's why this recovery can take up to a year. Eventually the pain diminished and it was easier. I'm glad you only work 2 days and can rest the rest of the week.

Four and a half months out from bilateral tkr and a Pharmacist at work asked me if I was fully recovered?:flabber::flabber::flabber::flabber:

That winning moment when you realise you can go up stairs one foot over the other without pain!
Yes I know at almost 6 months - a lot have been doing this for ages - but I am a 'slow' recoverer and this one is for all the 'slowies' out there :yes!::yay:

@Kathi 777 just tried foot over foot DOWN the stairs and what do you know - with a a good amount of bannister holding (only on one side) and very slowly I managed foot over foot with just a few twinges from tight ligaments/tendons. SO excited!

What a great feeling that must be to be able to do that.!!!
I haven't been able for almost a year except on the day I was told when the operation would be. (That was adrenalin pumping.)

Congrats DebM --- I'm sure it feels great to be achieving these big functional accomplishments.

Wonderful! You have reached a huge steps on those steps! It was a long time before I tried using the steps foot over foot. It had been years since I had been able to do it. When I finally got the courage to try it, I found I could do it and do it without that awful, pre-tkr pain! I know how excited you are! Enjoy your achievement!

What great news about doing steps! There's that moment of fear--will it hurt? will my knee hold me?--and then... success. And it only gets better from there. Onward!

Crazy how we all have such different experiences! Me- no CPM, very little PT,and sent home on day three. I just had my first out patient PT session,one week post op. The good news is that all is well. Walking to the bathroom, able to navigate stairs and showering pretty much unaided. Bad news is- they are still new and still need lots of ice, elevation, and pain control. Just keep positive and keep listening to your body. Remember it's a marathon and we are well on our way to a great finish!

I agree! it's wonderful that we are all achieving pain free days and better mobility. i can single step down the stairs and if in time I can go flying down stepping normal again.. fine.. if not I am happy with being able to walk, stand, climb up stairs like a normal person! Bilateral TKR gave me my life back... hiking and being able to do the things I love, [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

How are you doing Ms Deb? Cruising right along on this healing trail?

Hi @jaschembra! Chugging up hills and cruising back down. Some days great some days not so great, I find it impossible to predict, apart when I join the ODIC, and usually just ride with.i do find that each week I surprise myself that I can do something I couldn't do previously. Yesterday went with my son to a college open day. The tour didn't have the option of lifts so did 6 flights of stairs over an hour both up and down and foot over foot! Admittedly the steps were a bit less high than our ones at home (which I still struggle with at times) but hey, I'm owning this triumph! Lol.

How are you going?
Enjoying the freedom of riding again?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom