TKR Debby's new knee

You don't have to worry about functioning well. Your only job is to heal! And sleep whenever and wherever you can. Don't worry about the time. Just sleep when you can. This is such a common reaction to this surgery and just about all of us have complained about it. I, too used to potty a lot, but realized when I did, I was getting rid of swelling in my knee. That's a good thing and probably what you are doing.
 
Just playing catch up with your progress! The picture looked really good but was about a week ago so I am sure it has improved since then! Interesting about the frequent bathroom visits, not something I had thought about. I hope that gets better for you soon. Continue to follow the mantra and hopefully your sleep will improve. You guys will be my mentors next week!
 
@debbyS I've noticed more trips to the bathroom as my swelling decreases... but being on the pain meds makes me constantly thirsty thus drinking more.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Better night last. I was only up about 3 times and before I knew it it was morning. Things are heading in the right direction!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
My surgery April 4th a little anxious. Hope all is well with you?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@ Katy.5555, It is normal to be anxious prior to surgery. I know I was. This all new and different. I sure you will do fine. I will send good thoughts your way and wish you luck on the 4th!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
:yay: I'm so glad your sleeping and nightly bathroom trips are improving!
 
Thanks! Funny thing, I was never a napper until after my TKR. Now I take several snoozes a day.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I never napped before my TKR and now I'm not a napper again, but I napped for a good 4-5 months during recovery. Sometimes I wish I could nap that like again.
 
I, too, napped. The first week or two it was 3 times a day! Sure felt good to do it and not feel guilty!
 
@debbyS glad to hear you got some sleep. I noticed the last 2 nights I have been asleep when my alarm went off to take the next dose (except one time I woke at 3:30 aching and had to wait till 4 for the oxy). That means about 3 hours at a time :) I did not like napping before this, but I nap all the time now. I was a solid 8 hour sleeper before, and I can't wait for the day I can do that again.
 
Get my first ROM check tomorrow. I am a little anxious. I think I am ok but I need to have a ROM of 70 or else I have to go to traditional PT for a


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oops! For a bit.
I have had pain in my left shoulder. Ice is making it better but it is still painfull.
If it is not one thing it's another. Thanks for letting me vent.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I bet that shoulder pain is coming from your pushing yourself up from a seated position. My old shoulder flared up, too.
You don't have to go to PT at all if you don't want to. Your knee will do fine without it. Don't be bullied into doing something you don't want to do.
 
Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
At not a month post op you don't need to worry about ROM yet, there's plenty of time for it when your knee isn't hurting as much.
 
Get my first ROM check tomorrow. I am a little anxious. I think I am ok but I need to have a ROM of 70 or else I have to go to traditional PT for a bit.
No you won't have to go to a traditional PT if you choose not to. It's your knee and your choice.
There are a couple of reasons for that:
1. It's only 3 weeks since your surgery and your knee won't bend properly yet, because it is still swollen. Going to a traditional PT won't cure the swelling. Only time, rest, ice and elevation will do that.
There's no need to gain ROM on a pre-set timetable, because it can continue to improve for a year or more after a TKR. Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
In any case, it's not exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself.

2. It is your knee and you are the only person who has the right to say what will happen to it. Your surgeon and others may advise, but you can choose whether or not to accept that advice.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Debbie, i followed the BoneSmart mantra after finding this forum and it helped enormously with my recovery. Don't fret about ROM. It will come in its own time. Gentle movement getting from A to B in the home and loads of rest and elevation is probably enough. I had an ice cuff that I used a lot in the early weeks until about week 5 or 6. Don't be tempted to overdo the PT! If it hurts it's slowing your recovery. It's your knee so don't let them hurt you. I'm now out of pain entirely and I had my LTKR 23/1/17. Living in UK. Good luck and follow the BoneSmart mantra.


Cyclemad LTKR 23/1/17 UK age 65
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom