TKR Debby's new knee

Wondering how you went with your check up Debby?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks everyone for for asking , the past couple of days have been rough. I having a little trouble with my shoulder. It got so bad last night that I was in tears. Hubby insisted that I see my dr. Also both my feet are swollen. She examined me changed my meds around and gave me a few simple exercises. She seems to think that the walker is the culprit as I may be putting too much pressure on it.
The ROM check went well - 80 flexion and full extension. I don't have another one for about 4 weeks.
On an somewhat unrelated note our precious Boston Terrier, Harley needed to have a tumor removed. We got the biopsy results back and they were good. He is cancer free for now and just needs to be checked. Whew! He is not be very good at staying calm


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Very good news about Harley. This is not a good time for you to be given more to worry about. Take good care of that shoulder, funny how having a knee replaced causes so many other aches and pains :) Are you still elevating and icing regularly? I would think that would be the best thing for your ankles, too.
 
Hopefully the change in meds and the additional exercises will help with the feet.
My left shoulder twinges every now and then too, I've put it down to using that side of my body more.
I'm glad you got the best news with Harley!! You don't need anything else to contend with.
I'm not sure of the protocol but do you go to crutches after the walker or straight to a cane?
I'm using crutches, then will use a cane if I need it.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's amazing how much we worry about our pets. They are members of our families and are a huge comfort to us. Both of my feet swelled, also, and they even peeled. They were so ugly! Every time I sat, I was elevating and icing. The first 6 weeks or so, that was quite a bit. I did the necessary things I had to do, then back down in my recliner! Work in those new exercises gradually and if they hurt you afterwards, back off of them. The pain will be telling your knee that it's not ready for it yet. Let it be your guide.
 
I saw my dr's PA yesterday and she is convinced that the swelling is due to high blood. I was pulled of all bp meds prior to surgery. She has me start 1 of my meds a week ago and track my bp. When I was in, she was not happy with my bp readings or the swelling. They look like the swelling is coming down a little.
My shoulder does not feel as bad- I just have to be careful of it.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I didn't realize that high bp numbers made a person swell. I hope the meds bring it down for you.
 
It is really unseasonably cold and raw today. My knees are not liking it, they feel very tight. I did some ankle pumps and heel sides( very gently) along with some extra walking and they now feel much better.
Hubby is going back to work the week after next. I am working on being more independent.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
What season is it where you are Debby? My knees hated the cold before the op, wonder how they will respond now? Were autumn currently but it's still quite warm.

My hubby is going back to work Monday... aggghh!! Trying to do more things last few days, but only so much you can carry with crutches, I need a backpack, I think Lol. If I struggle I'll go to my parents.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had a rolling walker that had a seat on it. I used this seat to carry my food, drinks and ice machine. Do you have one like that? Can you use one arm to transfer things to a table, then to a chair then to another table, etc? I tried a back pack and it felt like I was out of balance. I took it off really quickly! Can you use a grocery bag and hook it somehow to the crutch? You will do fine by yourself. I am single and had to take care of myself. If I can do it, you can do it, too!
 
We are in early spring - 1 st day of spring was the day of surgery. It's been unusually cold this week. Looking forward to next week and near 80's.
I broke my ankle 20 yrs ago and was on crutches. My husband packed a sm cooler with my lunch. Sm backpack is a good idea- I think I have a spare one in my son's room.
Carrying beverages seem to be the hardest. We are buying a basket for my walker and attaching a thermos to the inside


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@zakmick, I have a shoulder bag with zippers on the side. Not my favorite but would it be helpful in this instance?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm going to have a look through my bags... I think I have a decent size one that has a strap that goes across the body. And having a little Eski with stuff in it and a thermos are great ideas. They need to design a basket for crutches lol.... but I could see many people toppling over using them.

I've pushed things around in the dirty washing trolley before, put a basket on top and just kicked it with my good foot or crutch after previous knee ops.

That's a good idea moving one item at a time to a surface @sistersinhim, no walker here.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Could you get your hubby to set up a cooler with drinks and have snacks within reach before leaves for work? Actually, getting up and getting your things is good therapy. Just don't overdo!
 
There are several meals you can prep ahead. So as not to drive myself crazy, I started trying Now. I can make my coffee , I just cannot carry the mug to my resting area. My hubby goy me a travel mug with a screw on cap so it is not as likely to spill. I think I will have wraps or salads for the first few weeks until my shoulder heals.
@sistersinhim - unfortunately I do not have a rolling walker, I do know the one you are talking about as my mother has one. I did see cup holders on Amazon so maybe I will look into them


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Could you borrow your mom's? It was a big help for me. I was afraid that getting ice and carrying my ice water circulator would really be a problem. But, with the seat on the rolling walker, it was much easier.
 
No she lives too far away


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, shoot. You'll come up with something, I'm sure.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom