TKR Debby's new knee

Be sure to stay on schedule with your pain meds, set an alarm to wake yourself if necessary.

Woke up with pain, but, 4 hrs of much needed sleep.
Very sore & swelling increased.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Everyday is something new. Tomorrow my dressing comes off. Mornings so far are the best for me. I thought I was very prepared but I found I still needed a few items . Live and learn

Hopefully the swelling will peak soon and start the decline! Glad you were able to get some sleep and hopefully the pain is back in control! Pulling for you!

DebbyS what items did you find you needed? Take picture when the dressing comes off! Enjoy those mornings!

@LRKO, In our bathroom we have a tub / shower combination. As embarrassing as this sounds , it never dawned on me that I may not be able to get into it ( it does have grab bars). So we ordered a transfer bench. The other thing was leave in hair conditioner - so I can cut down on time washing hair.

Thank you debbyS! We as well have tub/shower....was thinking of using the BSC without the potty pan. Don't know if that will work or not...I may have to get a transfer bench as well. Hope your are feeling ok!

I have a walk in shower that has just one step into, but being able to sit while drying/styling my hair was nice. I have a mirror that stands so I could sit on toilet seat while I dried/styled my hair. I will say that it seemed I had a real case of bed head in the back of head from always sitting and leaning back in my chair. I took my makeup case to the hospital, but in the 11 days I was there and rehab I put mascara on one time. Not because putting it on was a pain, but standing to wash it off was too much.

@LRKO, When my bench arrives, I will let you know how it works out. We do have a hand held shower so that helped.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

My milestone for the day. I was able to get out of bed all by myself. I still need help getting in.

That's great. Slow and steady progress. Celebrate every milestone, no matter how small.

That's great! Do you have a leg lifter? It helped me get in/out of bed, the car, etc. You can use a towel, scarf, belt to help lift your leg.

Last edited by a moderator:
@KarriB, thanks for the reminder! I have a leg lifter( ok old dog leash) that I have used previously for physical therapy.
One of then PT's in the hospital taught me to tuck my good foot under my Operated leg to help get myself out of bed But I will start using a leg lifter.

Excellent progress!

Woke every 2 hrs last night. Took a long snooze late this morning and almost feel human.Bandage came off but wound was still weeping a little so a bandage had to go back on. Still I got a little peek. Scar is not as big as I feared it might be( yeah!).
I have been having minor lower back pain on and off since the day after surgery. Not bad too bad but still it is there. I did have a spinal. I have been sleeping on my back as opposed to my side /tummy. Any one else experience back pain after their TKR?

I didn't have a spinal and still experienced back pain. This seems to be typical for many TKRs. I put it down to sitting in the same position so much, sleeping on my back and walking differently. The pain should dissipate as your recovery moves along. Feel free to use heat on your back if that helps.

@debbyS . You will find the first few days change with pain, swelling, mood, etc. Just rest and relax through these early days. Ice, elevating your leg and taking pain meds on time was the majority of my days. Good healing to you.

Thanks everyone.

Take it easy and baby that infant knee of yours. It will want lots of ice, rest and elevating. Taking pain meds on a schedule is a must. You need to keep a steady stream of pain meds for the first few weeks to keep it in your system and not have to play catch up.

I used a strap on my log leg during those days but later, a PT person showed me how the hooked end of the cane works fantastic! Sounds like you're doing well. Once these first 2-3 weeks are behind you, you'll do nothing but look ahead and look back to see how far you've come!! :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom