TKR Debbie1954

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, tough night, I had flannel sheets, a thermal blanket, a down filled blanket and two big quilts and I was shivering uncontrollably. Finally got Dave awake and he got me a couple Tylenol and after awhile that helped settle me down. Went back to sleep, only to wake up coughing to where I couldn't catch my breath. Thought I was going to puke, but didn't. OK, this is just a good old cold, or maybe sinus infection. Do I have to worry about my knee? I do have Ampicillian here. My surgeon knows we go to Mexico and have that stuff on hand. Is there any risk of a sinus infection going to my joint replacements? We even picked up Z-packs, whatever they are. Need to research them. Now let me tell you all, I don't go and pop those pills on a whim. I do have a bottle of Bactrim if I get a UTI and I know all the symptoms and I will hit it with the medicine, but haven't had to do that for years either. Thoughts? Oh, going to a doctor down here is almost impossible. A lady down a few houses from us cut her toenail and got an infection and the doc let her go for 6 weeks until he realized the infection went to her knee and she had to have it taken out. Don't want to go through that.
 
Debbie, So sorry you are feeling so lousy! First, I think a sinus infection cannot travel to your knee, it is infections carried by the bloodstream that can go to the knee, but I am not 100% sure, so you might want to tag Josephine. I get frequent sinus infections and the best thing that helps me is frequent use of a Neti point. If you don't have one, you can get one at CVS or Walgreens, etc. I use it several times a day, fill it with hottish water and salt, stand in a hot shower and pout the salt water through each nostril and let it drain out the other way. Sounds gross, but used 3-4 times a day, it works a treat on sinus infections and colds. Running a vaporizer might help too. I hope you feel better, my dear. No fun being sick.
 
Aw Deb, that just does not sound good at all! I thought I read on hear that some else had to get antibiotic for a sinus infection, but I don't know if it can effect your knee! I'll tag Jo for you she might have an answer. Josephine

Keep us posted Deb!
 
Jacky, does you posting mean you have power? Or because it's your only post, does it mean you don't? Hope things are under control for you.
 
You do not need an antibiotic for a sinus infection because of your knee but I usually take one anyway for the infection itself.
 
Debbie can you give me the name of where you get your meds in mexico and the town name? Do you have to bring scripts from American doctors? My son was going to take me down from Tempe (his home) to help me get meds since I have no insurance but wondering about what they require. Thanks!
 
A lady down a few houses from us cut her toenail and got an infection and the doc let her go for 6 weeks until he realized the infection went to her knee and she had to have it taken out.
Highly unlikely they were connected in any way whatsoever.If anything the toenail infection was probably secondary to the knee infection.

As for your cold/sinus infection, it's more than likely viral which won't be a problem. Read this peri-prosthetic infection - also known as late onset infection.
 
Sorry your unwell according to doctor here not mine but his partner if incision closed up there should be no problems,sorry i dont know anymore.Oh and i think i will stay here by the way.
 
Doctors used to prescribe antibiotics for sinus infections all the time, but at least my experience is that has changed, as sinus infections do not tend to respond well to antibiotics since they are not bacterial. But many patients want an antibiotic anyway, and so the doctor gives it to them. Typically, they run the same course whether you get the antibiotic or not. Sometimes you end up developing a secondary infection, like bronchitis, which is what often happened to me after I stopped smoking (this was years ago), and then I had to have the antibiotics. But when I started using the Neti pot as a prophylactic, the number of sinus infections I got rapidly decreased, and now I rarely get them. But I use the Neti pot every day during the winter and during allergy season. Cheaper than drugs!
 
Great info, Lisa. I had never heard of this product before. My mother always swore by saline solutions for lots of things---apparently really knew what she was talking about. I have post nasal drip 24/365--this may be just the answer I need to control some of that. Tried steroid nasal sprays---too expensive and only did a so-so job. And constant steroid use worried me, so I just stopped and have put up with this without drugs. Thanks for this post!
 
Lisa, I can see where using a neti pot in the shower would be better. I have one at home and it was a pain to use, but in a shower, that would seem to work better for being less messy and I noticed when taking a hot shower my nasal passages open up. I have used the neti pot where I am so clogged up it doesn't work.
 
I am unable to use the Neti pot in anything other than the shower as I make a total mess. I do know of people who can do it over the sink but I am not one of them! And if you are really clogged, you might not get the water all the way in, but I found that by alternating sides the water would slowly get farther along, even if it never made it all the way, it still helped alot. Rest up and feel better soon!
 
I use the NeilMed sinus rinse, it's along the same line as the Neti pot, but it's a squirt bottle and it makes it easier to use and I'm able to use it over the sink. I'm still not crazy about using that darn thing!
Feel better soon Deb!:console2:
 
I have some nose saline spray and Dave just brought me some Vicks, I can put that on my feet with some socks on tonight and see if that helps. I put it under my nose and it helps clear it out too. Just sitting around today, finished reading a book on my kindle, but not much else. Feels weird not being outside walking.
 
Sometimes it is good to just be lazy and put your feet up. Find some good old movies to watch and hot tea and lemon. Glad you got the Vicks. Rest up and sweet dreams!
 
Hi Debbie nice to catch up on your threads again but sorry to hear about your sinus infection. Can I just ask why do you put Vicks on your feet???? I have never heard of that before. Im here in bed now smelling of the lovely Vicks because I have a chesty cough and bad cold but Ive only ever been told to put the Vicks on your chest area and under your nose to help you breath. Does it work putting it on your feet.... and how?????
 
I tried the Netipot once and quickly found that it was not for me. I poured it in on both sides and barely anything came out. It just made my head hurt really bad like a pressure headache. Then I laid down in bed and about 5-10 minutes later it started pouring out of my sinuses and I started choking because it was pouring into my throat. I had to throw my head off the side of my bed trying my best to drain into the trash can. Never again will I try that thing. I thought I was going to die.
 
Thanks for that Debbie. Guess the best thing would be to try it out for myself which I will do tonite. No harm trying.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom