TKR Debbie1954

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to put his answer, "No"! He told me he likes food too much. I have asked him to go walking with me, exercising with me, etc,but all no. Debbie, sometimes I just want to bang my head against the wall! :headbang:
They changed Avalide, his blood pressure meds at my insistence. That med causes weird things to happen. The doctor also changed his diabetes meds to a long acting pill so if he forgets o take a metformin the day he won't hade the spikes in blood sugar. I bought Pat a Yeti ice chest for Christmas, the kind that is indestructible. He often is out on lease roads that are so bumpy and other coolers tear apart! I told him we are going to start packing food and water for him, because he skips breakfast and lunch, and then eats all night long!
 
You can only do so much Sonja, if Pat loves food so much it will be impossible for you to "help" him try to lose. If this is he choice, he will have to live with the consequences. Just make sure he doesn't drag you down the wrong path.
 
Sonja, did Pat find anything out that you want to share from his doctor's appointment. Not being nosey, just if you need to talk we are here for you. With Pat seeing how you are losing, does it motivate him, or make him not want to try? It has to come from within or it just doesn't work.

Well, he isn't motivated, but he doesn't care about himself enough to try. He is living the self fulfilling prophecy that MD Anderson told him. He asked me why he should bother when he will be dead by 50 anyway? I told him, doctors are NOT God, and that he can change the outcome! The doctor yesterday was very concerned about the amount of protein in his urine.
 
Sonja, when you love someone and you see them heading down a path of self distruction, you can't help but feel frustrated, but all you is continue to love hime and pray that he opens his eyes and helps himself. I so feel for!:console2: Stay strong my friend!
 
You can only do so much Sonja, if Pat loves food so much it will be impossible for you to "help" him try to lose. If this is he choice, he will have to live with the consequences. Just make sure he doesn't drag you down the wrong path.

Oh Debbie, he is trying! Pat hates that I am working out, and eating better! We went out to eat, and I ordered a hamburger and cut it in half. He said, finish your burger, that is wasteful. I said, I would rather it went to waste than to my waist! He wants me to eat the foods he eats even though have explained that I am working to get healthy.
 
Another thing, he sleeps on the weekends until 1:00 or 2:00 and on his days off the same. He has been off since December 16th, and has not been out of bed before 12:00! :gaah:
 
Another thing, he sleeps on the weekends until 1:00 or 2:00 and on his days off the same. He has been off since December 16th, and has not been out of bed before 12:00! :gaah:

Sonja, it sounds like he might be dealing with some depression issue. After all, the doc said he might not live to 50. That would probably send me over the edge as well! I can't believe a doctor would say such a thing!:hairpulling:
 
Well enough about my problems! Debbie, I hope you and Dave have a fantastic time in Arizona, and we will be watching for updates! I am going to go work on the laundry now. :)

Thanks for letting me vent! :giggle:
 
Oh I know and he knows he is depressed! Problem is, he thinks it is a sign of weakness to take something for depression! :hairpulling:
 
Wish Dave could talk to him. He has been on depression medicine for years. He is willing to be very open and honest about it. Doc told him that man prominent people in the community are on it. People that seem to over achieve have a lot on their plates and can be overwhelming. Then depression sets in. I wish Pat would understand it takes a man to admit he needs help. It is not a sign of weakness.
 
Well, all that dancing last night and I was a bit sore today, not bad, but I noticed I did things that I hadn't done for awhile. I hooked up my TENS unit for a few hours today and that seemed to help, or just that I tried to rest a bit more today with my feet up. I did make what turned into two big pots of homemade soup. Beefy tomato. I had simmered beef soup bones all day yesterday and then cooled it down last night. Took the fat off this morning and then added a couple quarts of homemade tomato juice from my garden tomatoes. Anyway, by the time I added the veggies and wanted to put the beef back in the pot was too full. So divided it up. We had it for dinner tonight (Dave had two helpings) and I put the rest into containers. 17 servings will go in the freezer. Oh, this morning I fried up bacon. Seems if I fry up a pound of bacon, Dave will eat half of it. So I fry it up and then cool it and put 3 strips in a sandwich bag then all of them in a freezer bag. I give him two pieces and I will have one. I froze 48 bags of that. All ready for our trip to AZ. I like only having the mess once and it is great for breakfast, or a quick BLT.

I just booked my flight to CA in March too. I know, I have to go to AZ first, but I saw a good deal so booked it. I asked my son if he is ready for the baby to come and he just said ..."no"... Oh well, he will get there, this baby is so much wanted.
 
Now I know that you are truly extraordinary, if you can stop at one piece of bacon. (We bake our in the oven=less mess.). Have a good trip to Arizona. It's so lovely in the winter.
 
Randi, I know, my mom bakes her bacon. I tried it once, but it took too long. I had two big frying pans going on the stove and fried up 9 pounds of bacon in about an hour I think. I like when it is finished and all bagged up. Nice grab and go.
 
Deb, I am so excited for you! Look it, you're going to AZ with hubby for fun, than straight to CA to be with your son and new grandbaby, holy, moly it doesn't get much better than that for the new year! Enjoy, my friend you had one heck of a ride getting there! :friends:

I can almost smell the bacon and soup! Yum!
 
Debbie you just continue to amaze me! I am so glad you have a hubby who can handle you! He danced all night with you and that is super! Does your left knee swell when you over do it? I walked a couple miles on Christmas and both knees swelled up, scared me a bit with my TKR knee, looked like the Michelin man and I am just now getting over it.
I didn't realize that Dave wasn't going to Canyon Country while you go up to help with the new baby. I would be happy to drive up and take you to lunch if you get the time for a visit in March/April. Maybe wait until you are ready for a little outing on your own. ha! Do have an energizer battery that is keeping you going? You sure are an inspiration.
Sonja that is so hard for you trying to help Pat. Jacky is right, he has to decide for himself but so hard for you. If he could just start with walking with you and not worry about the food thing that would help. So difficult for you to hear all that bad news and not really be able to "fix it"!
 
Marianne, Dave will be coming after the baby is born and staying for a week or so I think. I think he will wait until she is born then try and book a flight that is cheap, not one where you have to go right then, like two weeks out or something.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom