TKR Debbie1954

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much you guys, wish I could give big hugs to all of you for being so kind. Waiting is the hardest thing to do. Last I talked to my sister was this morning around 10:30. I tried texting her about an hour ago and no reply which means she is busy with family, or in by her husband. He survived the night but the dialysis they were trying to do did not work, so now it is 48 hours with no kidney function. They did a CT scan but I have not heard anything yet and they were going to do some other testing for brain activity. I just wish he could pass on so the family can start the grieving process.

As for me, I got back into my routine. Did my two miles walking DVD, 3.5 miles of biking and stool scoots. Then had PT this morning and was very pleased. Originally my best ROM was 113 then I dropped down. Today it is back to 113 and she said it is feeling and looking better to her. I know yesterday with the 4 hours in the car and not being able to elevate my leg at all, I thought it would swell up and be sore, but it was only a little warm last night (does that last for a long time?) Then after PT I went swimming for an hour. I call that my Debbie Triple. Three different exercise things I do in one day.

Thanks again you guy, you are the best.:thankyou:
 
Debbie, The waiting is so hard and it really takes it's toll on you and your family. Good for you for taking care of yourself today with your exercise program and I am glad your PT went so well! You are in my thoughts and continuing prayers.
 
Hang in there Deb, I am praying for the best for your BIL and your sister and family! Good that you took care of yourself today, because we all know waiting from afar is the worse! :console2:
 
Awww that is so sad. I imagine it will be soon now. I am glad you have continued your routine as the last thing you need in the next few weeks is a set back with all the progress you've made.
It's like you are doing a Triathalon every day. I feel like such a lazy girl. I never even checked on finding a pool. We are having Portland weather here, constant mist, my yard is a swamp. Getting in a swim suit seems out of the question.
Keep up your good work Debbie. I am thinking about you and hoping for the best for you and your family.
 
Marianne, although we are having a little warm stretch here in WI, it is still only getting up in the 40's and a little warmer this weekend, but it is still WI and you usually don't think about swimming. But do check in your town where there is something available. Today when I went in the pool I thought, now this is nice, it was so warm. I was all alone in it and I just swam lap after lap. When I first started with actually swimming instead of just marching the leg kicks didn't go so well, but now in just a week I can tell I am stronger. So if you can find one do it. Yes it is a pain in the butt to leave home to do it, but it is worth it.
 
Marianne, I love the pool too. At my health club we have a big whirlpool and dry sauna and after I do my water walking and swimming I go sit in the whirlpool and do my stretching and I get the best stretches there of anywhere. When I first got in the pool about 5 weeks ago, my TKR knee felt like she weighed a ton but now she almost moves as smoothly as the other one. The water walking has done alot to improve my gait and help my extension and now that I am back to swimming laps I can tell after each time how much the TKR knee loves the freestyle and backstroke and gets looser with each lap. When I leave I am warm and loose and relaxed and just feel good all over. At my weight, the pool is just so good for my joints and it is the place where my body feels the best. Water aerobics is another fun option if you do not like to swim or don't know how.
 
Hi Debbie just checking in to say "Happy new Hip Birthday" and to say we are all thinking about you and your family. You sure do a lot of exercises. Im hoping to increase mine next week, makemore effort. You take care of You x
 
Dave and I went to the hospital (two hours away) and my BIL had somewhat of a rally where he would open his eyes and squeeze your hand. But the dialysis was not working and his blood pressure was going so low. He got an infection and the kids didn't want to be the one to ruin my sister's hope, but it was finally discussed to talk to the medical team about the realities of long term recovery, what it would be. They told my sister at best total nursing home care, but they said he probably wouldn't even leave there. So the decision was made and with his family by his side they pulled out the ventilator and it only took a few minutes. He did not struggle and is at peace now. I worry so much about my sister, financially she doesn't have much, and now she won't even have is disability checks. Not sure when the funeral will be. Here is a picture of my sister and her husband.
[Bonesmart.org] Debbie1954
 
Debbie I am so so sorry for you, your sister and all your family. What a lovely picture of them both. Fnally he is at peace now and not suffering. Your sister was very brave to make that decision with the rest of the family. Something we all hope we never have to do. Words dont mean much at a time like this. I am sure you are all in shock but we are all part of a family on here and we will be thinking of you and your family in the coming weeks and hope you find the strength to support each other. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
 
I am so sorry for you and your family. It is a hard decision to make. We went through this with my MIL, and it is very difficult. I will keep your sister and all your family in my prayers!
 
:iagree:
Nothing can be said at a time like this that will make you feel better. Just know that you are in all of our thoughts tonight. I am so sorry that you had to go through this. :console2:
 
Deb, today was a very hard and sad day for everyone. :console2: May your brother-in-law rest in peace! :angel: And may your sister and her family find solace in making the right decision. Your sister is lucky to have a caring sister such as yourself.

Stay well my friend! :friends:
 
Deb, I'm so sorry! Your poor sister, how devistating for her! At least they were spared long term nursing home care under such conditions. He is at peace and I hope the family will soon be at peace with this as well.
 
Debbie, I am so sorry. What a tough decision to have to make. It's a sweet picture. I'm glad you posted it.
 
Debbie this is so difficult. I hope your sister knows she made the right choice for her husband. He wouldn't want to live like that. You can tell from his picture that he was full of vim and vigor when in better health. I am so sorry for you and your family.I am glad you and Dave got to say goodbye to him.Please be good to yourself and try not to overdo. You need to keep your body strong so you can support your sis when things calm down in a few weeks. Remember you are still in rehab and recovering from your surgery. Wish I could hug you.
 
Just found out he went without oxygen for 40 minutes. No way can he come out of this ok unless there is a miracle. He was the best back scratcher around. I just don't want to see him suffer and my sister and the kids suffer for a long time. Ugh, life is not fair.
No Debbie, it isn't I am so sorry to hear about your BIL! Prayers for the whole family, including your family will be happening!
 
Thank you all again, you are all so sweet. Besides the donation of eyes, my sister donated his bones and tissue. I am wondering if that is skin. Marianne, that picture was a very recent picture. For needing a heart and kidney transplant, he looked great. You would think that someone that only had 10% heart function wouldn't look that good. So that is why it was so hard, he did look good. But yesterday I had to point out to my sister that there was the vacant look in his eyes. He was gone and then I think it finally set in for me sister that he wasn't there anymore and needed to go home. I haven't talked to her yet this morning as I am sure she has lots of people at her house.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom