TKR Debbie1954

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who goes all "Martha Stewart" on that casserole by trimming and "frenching" fresh green beans, making a bechamel sauce with sauteed mushrooms, Gruyere and fresh nutmeg from scratch and deep-frying her own onions. It's yummy, but it's not what we had as kids!
 
Thanksgiving was wonderful, especially since it meant no cooking for me! Pat's relative's had turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn casserole, and the green beans were scrumptious. They were fresh, cooked with a piece of bacon around them. She had put a touch of sugar on each stack! Yum yum!
 
whew, just got our medical insurance quote for next year. I thought with the hip replacement that they didn't count into our 2012 quote because I had it in Dec and then my knee replacement and then Dave's spine surgery I thought maybe our rates would skyrocket. They only went up $44 a month. Still costs us $1445.00 a month and that is still with a $10,000 deductible. Not sure how it will work as Dave will be 65 in June. Will need to get him a supplement insurance to go along with medicare then. Any of you that are over 65, do you have to contact someone before you turn 65?

Oh, also got word back from Blue Cross Blue Shield and they are giving me 20 more physical therapies, but has to be combined with my occupational therapy which I just had one, and will need one more. So looks like I won't have to pay any more sessions.
 
Hi Debbie,
A bit late, but I am so glad all that happened in that incident was bumper damage. Good about more therapy being covered too!
 
Triple play today, got up and did my workout at home which is 2 miles of my walking DVD and 15 minutes on the recumbent bike which is 3.5 miles. Then found out they could get me in for PT also today and she wanted me to go work out at the pool before coming by her. So an hour at the pool and I do alot of swimming and marching and moving, then to PT for 50 minutes. Chantel said she felt I was moving farther to where she normally hit my stop level without pushing. I told him stairs were going better both up and down. Energy is great. I have the TENS unit on and shocking the muscles.
 
I am singing that song....You are a champion....YOU are a champion...oops my little dog didn't like that. No more singing.
I keep saying I am going to find a heated pool....MUST do it, sounds so nice...Debbie you are rehab athlete!!!! Good for you! When do you head for AZ?
 
Marianne, we are hoping to leave Jan 9th. All depends on the weather of course though. We don't like heading into any major snow or ice storms. We head south as fast as we can then start heading west.
 
Debbie with all that exercise you do what is your ROM now? I mean bend and straightening. You are two weeks ahead of me, and there is no way in hades I could do all that in one day without winding up in the ER. That seems like alot to do in just one day. I got to 103 bend and 12 on the straightening yesterday, but....I am sooo achey its not funny! Hugs!
 
Nanners, I really don't have that much more then yours. The best I did was 113. But we have to measure mine differently now because it was putting too much pressure on my right hip when I tried to force a bend when laying down and my feet on the wall sliding it down. So now she has me lay on a table and put my hands/arms under my knees and I put my non operated leg over my knee replacement leg and at first let gravity take it down and I get 103 or so and then when I push is I get to about 110. I just got back from another hour in the pool and there were a couple ladies there and when I told them why I was there they thought I was doing really well. Like I said, stamina wise I am pretty much back to normal and I use to do 5 miles a day of my DVD walking video.
 
That's what I'm struggling with - stamina. I can bend really well with ease (130+) but I just can't do much, not an iota of what you do, Debbie. I know the 'badness' of my knees for so many year before surgery meant I did less and less because of the pain, but sheesh. I did physio this morning for an hour, did a bit of shopping and then lunch with a friend, and I'm pooped. I'd rather bend a bit less and do a lot more. You're awesome, Debbie!
 
Jebsw, if you weren't doing much before your surgery then it will take time to build up your stamina. Just like when I had my hip replaced one year ago. I started really, really slowly, but if you keep up with it daily adding a minute here and a minute there all of a sudden you have an extra half hour under your belt. Make sure you are getting enough protein. You are young, so you can't blame age here. We all slow down as we age. Break up your workouts in segments. Don't try and do it all at once. The water exercise is wonderful, you don't get near as tired as if I was doing biking or walking.
 
Jebsw and Debbie_joints Jebsw, I think Debbie is spot on. Before my surgery I was biking 90 minutes 3 times a week, weight lifting 90 minutes 3 times a week, and water walking for 60 minutes 3 times a week. I did this on purpose as my weight going into the surgery was 310 and I wanted to get as strong and as fit as possible as I was scared to death the aftermath at my weight would just be too much to cope with. The one thing I did not do was walk much, as I was in too much pain. So I have not walked more than a few minutes at a time for probably 3 years now. What is interesting to me now, is at 13 weeks I can pretty easily bike for 45 minutes, lift weights for 60 minutes and water walk and swim for 45 minutes and do not feel terribly fatigued or tired afterwards. But walking 7-8 minutes has me sweating buckets and my leg muscles are terribly fatigued by the end and my gait degrades. So what that says to me, is that I have been fairly easily able to return to the activities that I did so much of beforehand because I was used to them but the walking, which had become a foreign object, so to speak, is very difficult and will take much longer to come, since I lost it several years ago! I also find that if I have a day where I do something "different" or more than what I have been doing that it wipes me out worse. I went to a quilt shop a few weeks ago shopping and was pooped. That was my first non-grocery store shopping excursion since the surgery. But then I went again, just a few days later, and I was not nearly as pooped. So I think those combinations of "firsts" also take a lot out of one. My first day at work was awful!
 
Exactly Lisa, you got it there. We can't expect to run a mile out of the gates if we didn't do it before. Baby steps in anything new we couldn't do before surgery.
 
I have been in tears for the last few hours. No physical pain here, but so worried for my BIL. He had surgery again yesterday for a catheter in his belly for upcoming home dialysis that they had to do twice because the first one didn't work. Now this is the BIL that needs a heart and kidney transplant. Well, his sister called me from the hospital because my sister was in tears. She was bringing him home and a few blocks from the hospital he quit breathing. She pulled over into a parking lot and a man came and helped her and they called 911. His defibrillator went off at least 5 times and he is now on a ventilator and they paralyzed him to keep him from moving. They have him packed in ice to keep brain swelling down. I don't know how long he went without oxygen. He has suffered so much and if this is his time, please God just take him. I would hate for him to end up with no quality of life in a nursing home. His siblings are all there and my sister's kids are all there now too. Waiting for news to see if I need to go now too.
 
Awe Deb my heart goes out to you and your family. :console2: This is such a hard time and your sister and their kids must be so torn right now. Your heart must be so heavy for them all. Please know that we all care and wish the best for all of your family. ((((Hugs))))
 
O Debbie how sad. Sending you my thoughts and prayers and a big hug. Your family has been through so much it just isnt fair. Hoping your sister will have the strength she needs for the next couple of days. Not much more one can say but hang in there Debbie, you know your Bone-Smart family will always be here for you.
 
Hugs Debbie!! I will definetly keep your BIL and family in my prayers. So sorry you have this added worry right now. Much love!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom