TKR Debbie1954

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had PT yesterday and starting next week I will be cutting back to once a week, but Chantel wants me to go to the local hotel and get a monthly pass to use their swimming pool and hot tube. Sounds great, but I know it will be a hassle. I like to just get up and go work out in my home. To actually have to get up and get a swimming suit on and drive to town and work out for at least an hour. Then you are wet and have to drive home. For those of you that work out in the pool, does your hair get wet? I have a feeling I am the splashy type of girl and will get wet. That will be hard to deal with then because seeing I am in town if I have other errands to run, I will have to do them first before going to the pool. Oh well, will work it out. Will be easier when we go winter in AZ. My ROM has been stuck again, so that is why Chantel wants me to try the pool. I am using the TENS unit all the time too, several hours a day. Foot is twitching right now as I am writing this. I didn't realize that you can put them on and then go about your day, you don't have to be sitting and relaxing to have it on. It is suppose to help block the pain and yesterday around dinner time I realized that I forgot to take my 1:00pm pills. Good sign there. It did surprise me that Dave could not handle the TENS unit at all. It goes from 1 to 60 and I even tried it at 60 for a half hour one time and that was too much as my muscles hurt the next day, so I keep it on around 30. Dave tried it on his hand/wrist area and screamed turn it off when I got up to just 7 on it. Guess I am numb.
 
My hair never gets wet. Well, maybe a little at the bottom of the back, but I can't pull it up and the pool is 4' 6". Now that they've redone to facility, I take a shower afterwards and my hair gets wet then. But you could shower off from the shoulders down, to get the chlorine off. But it is great for the knees.
 
Rita which dish do you put the bread sauce on? I will have my brother convert to our measurement system on Monday. My brain has been mush for almost 5 weeks now. Thank you so much for posting it!!! Can't wait to try it!
You make the sauce in a pan on the hob & then serve it in a bowl at the table x
 
Rita, what the heck is a "hob", tried googling it and no such thing. Do you mean a stove?
 
Mr Google doesn't know 'hob'! Can't believe it!! Yes I mean stove, the top bit, gas, electric whatever. Mine is trendy induction. Try googling induction hob - you must have them in the states. x
 
Debbie,
I think the TENS thingy and Dave is just a man thing. When I first got mine I tried it on my hubby and he started screaming that I was trying to electrocute him, and I barely turned it up. One thing to be carfeful of, make sure the patches are down good and tight on your skin, if even just a little corner is up it will not feel very good.
 
Rose that is so true! Today, two of the pads were not sticking properly, and Katie didn't know, because I had a wet towel and then an ice pad over them! I started letting her know I was hurting, and she turned it off and wet down the sticky on the pads to make them stick again! Whew! What a relief!
 
Debbie, getting to the pool is really worth it. I have been going for about 3 weeks now and it's such a great workout. I don't get my hair wet except for the hairline around the base of my neck. I usually wear the suit under my sweats and then change back into my sweats after,that way I don't have to change twice. I will keep going after the formal pt is done because the resistance to the water is gentle but very helpful in working the muscles.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Dawn
 
Well Debbie,

I will give you my two cents about the pool. I bought one of those swimmers caps and didn't like it. So shy old me, just went into the middle of the pool dunked myself and started introducing myself to everyone in sight. It was a water aerobics class, but there was a problem.... Several of the teachers already knew me and wanted to catch up, find out how I was losing weight, yada yada yada, until the instructor finally drug me to the middle of the pool! She told them we are here for water aerobics ladies, and I was an attentive pupil from then on! :rotfl:
 
Okey dokey,

Anyone ever had this problem before? My kneecap has slid up and to the inside of my right knee! The only time it hurts is when I try to get up and then the pain is bad! :headbang:
 
Oh my gosh, Sonja, we are just going to have to nail that pesky knee cap down!! You have certainly had your share of fighting with it. Is there anything that Dr Malle can do to get it to stay on track?? I sure hate to see you in pain and never knowing when it is going to try and take a little trip where it doesn't need to visit!!
 
Sonja you better call your doctor about your wandering knee cap! He may want an xray to see why it's doing that. You don't want a complete dislocation! I hope it can be remedied. I wonder if there is an OTC brace/sleeve that will hold it in place. OUCH!!!
 
Well, I went to PT today, reluctantly for the first time in two years. Katie took one look, said ok, and fixed it immediately. She said that the muscle is finally responding and that it was a little breakthrough for us! :umm:

I thought of the term "break" several times while in therapy, but it had nothing to do with breakthrough! :happydance:

Debbie, I am sorry I am on your thread! In my pain state I thought I was on mine. I hope you an forgive me!
 
Oh Sonja, no problem. My I have the opposite problem, my kneecap doesn't move hardly at all. Chantel has me take a little plunger and try moving it around.

The pool was WONDERFUL today. I exercised for an hour and then felt it stiffening up a little so went in the hot tub and then it was fine. I will try and do that several times a week I hope.

Mad at myself, went to Madison today and traveling on the beltline (3 lanes of traffic each way) and I was behind a semi and cars were on both sides of me and behind me. All of a sudden the semi threw a retread, or maybe he just drove over one that was already in the middle of the road. I had no choice but to try and straddle it. Clunked pretty good, and it broke the plastic bumper covering in two places. Dave said he better check under the car just in case there is more damage. He said I did ok, at least I didn't swerve and hit another car. Maybe following too close though. I know, I will blame Gman, he said he was going to be back out driving semi today, I bet it was him...:rotfl:
[Bonesmart.org] Debbie1954
 
I am thankful you weren't injured or killed! Those treads that come off of semis have flown through people's windshields and killed them. A car can be fixed. A life, nope! I don't know if you heard about the horrible tragedy that happened in my town. It was a honoring veterans parade, and the parade stopped leaving a semi over the tracks, but his flat bed on the tracks. There were cars all around him in front and Behind when the train came barreling down the track at 60 mph. By the time the engineer saw them, he locked down his brakes, but was still going 40 on impact. It killed 4 people, and several of the veterans shoved their wives off the train right before impact saving their lives. So sad. Today, a DPS trooper, was pulling out to go after a car that was speeding, but he didn't notice the 18 wheeler barreling down on him. The trucker had no time to react and ended up going over the top of the DPS's car. This part of west tx has become so busy with the boom in the oil field, and their are so many vehicles on ONE lane roads! Crazy!
 
Debbie that's scary! I am so glad you and hubby are okay! You did good! Probably good that the bumpers are plastic now, maybe would have been worse if it was heavy metal. I think this makes it an extra special Thanksgiving...you are not in the hospital or worse. Especially after reading Sonja's post!
Sonja we keep seeing the story of the Wounded Warriors on the news. That was the saddest thing! Why in the world did the drivers at the beginning of the parade stop so close to the tracks? My son is an ER doc in Amarillo and you are right, they have some awful awful car accidents in Texas. So so sad when he has a child who was a victim of a bad accident, sometimes when there was no seat belt. I guess he sees the awful things like that and my knee doesn't seem like such a big deal... when you've seen patients decapitated or traumatic amputations. :sad:
 
Sonja, yes that was on the news here too, so sad that had to happen at such a fun event as a parade. Marianne, I was alone, so that was good, not knowing what would have happened if Dave would have been with me, it would have maybe made me react differently and would have been worse. Funny he didn't get after me for following too close because I always get after him for doing just that. But driving on the beltline there is always alot of traffic and if you allow a big space between you and the car in front, someone will always change lanes in front of you anyway. This did remind me though to try not to follow behind a semi if I can help it.
 
Brownie, the way the road is set up in that part of town is crazy. As soon as you go over the railroad tracks there is a traffic light. Well, because it was a parade they had blocked people coming from the sides but forgot to change the light and the 18 wheeler and several cars in front of this 18 wheeler stopped. The others past then. Stopped too so they could stay together! It made it impossible for the trucker to move and by the time they heard the train, too late too do much of anything! It was a heartbreaking tragedy that Midland is coming out for and donating money to the victim's and their families. We have big hearts in TX, just lousy set up on traffic lights and railroad tracks.
 
Oh Sonja that is so tragic! That part of the story has not been in the news. I know the folks who goofed up are suffering too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom