Guest viewing is limited

TKR Debbie1954

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately Brownie, reporters report what they want. The "rest of the story" , is usually told by all the witnesses. The oil company that my husband is working for, was sponsoring all of the veterans and families, and had worked to get this together. One of Pat's friends was a veteran, so he was helping in the parade. He was trying to get the parade to move as soon as he saw a trailer trapped on the tracks, but it the train came too soon for everyone to comprehend that a trailer was in. Danger with soldiers and wives on it! :doh: Very sad accident!
 
I did hear of that sad accident Sonja! And Debbie a dog darted out one time in front of us, we had no way to stop, and broke our plastic part underneath the truck and a light. I was sad for the little dog though:(
 
Not sure why it's called a semi, but it's a big semi trailer truck, those big trucks on the highway. The cab pulls the trailer and where they connect they can jack knife.
 
Thanks for asking that Rita. I was wondering what a 'semi' was.
 
Well, the reason it's called a semi, is because when it is not towing or carrying anything connected to it, they call it a semi. Other names are 18 wheeler, Oil rig truck etc. They all have cabs for the drivers, and a lot of companies are switching to sleeper bunks in the truck, instead of paying for motels. Any truck pulling cargo is considered an 18 wheeler. When they aren't and they are just heading to getting their next load the cab is called a semi. The semi, and trailer combine to make it an 18 wheeler! Now that I have been as clear as mud, I think I will stop babbling! :rotfl:
 
Exactly, that's why it's called a semi! Trucker speak. My dad was a driver in the oilfield, and sometimes I would ride with him. They didn't have a passenger seat, but Dad kept a milk crate and blankets so I could sit and ride. He taught me a lot of terms when I rode with him! :happydance: Of curse with my shyness, I never asked any questions! :rotfl: I became a dictionary of knowledge. Do you remember those encyclopedia salesman that went door to door. Well my parents bought a set and we started learning about all kinds of stuff when I was 5! Between that and the Summer field trips, I became a "book of knowledge!" :wink: Funny thing is, when people bring up something unusual my mind processes it pretty fast. My parents wanted to make sure that my sister and could be anything we wanted to be!

Debbie, are you enjoying the water aerobics! Have you just "splashed" onto the scene? :rotfl:
 
We have a semi's with trailers and they are called Double Bs

Sat alongside one last night on the way home from work... Finally it took off in clearer traffic, very long!
 
Yes, in different countries we have different wording! That's why I never no if someone doesn't understand unless they ask!

I have asked quite a few questions about words in Australia and the UK! After all when I am honored enough to hear my last name used every morning (Brekke) in the UK. No I know that's not how it is spelled, but it sounds like it. My maiden name is Brekke! :wink:
 
Sonja, I only got to go once to the pool and loved it. Can't use the hotel pool on holidays as there are more guests there, and also you can' use it on Saturdays, so will wait until Sunday to use it again. Off to PT now.
 
Have you noticed how the chat now covers almost anything & occasionally mentions ............ knees!
A 'semi' in UK is a house which is attached to another, i.e. shares a roof 'semi-detached' - we could be living on different planets!
 
you can be in same country and get lost in words listen to people from barnsley or like my sister in law from blackcountry in birmingham
 
OK, then back to knees, just got back from PT and let me tell you going outside in shorts in this blistery cold weather is only for the snowmen. I don't like having PT early in the morning either as I didn't have time to do my warm up exercises at home. Chantel thought my initial leg bend seems to be going easier, but then I hit the hard spot. So looks like more swimming and when I am sitting around the living room I should but my hands under my knee and pull it up to my chest and just try and relax and let gravity pull it down. Also put a small weight on my ankle. She didn't even tell me my numbers today, so that tells me they weren't good.
 
Debbie just catching up and man that is scary about that retread tire piece coming at you. We saw so many pieces on the side of the road on our trip down south and they were big piece and can do a lot of damage. I'm so glad you're okay! Those big semi tires have metal cables in them and that's why they're so damaging.

Rita is right when they don't give you numbers it means not important!
 
You do exercises before you go to Pt? If I do that I swell even more, so I don't do anything till I get to PT. I always schedule them for 2:30. I can't do early mornings as it takes awhile for me to get going due to my Crohns. I generally don't feel so hot in the mornings, but feel better later in the day. Last time I did exercises beforehand I was swollen at PT and did worse Hugs!
 
I am anxious to talk to my OS, or my rhematalogist about my left hip. This is my none hip replacement hip, but when I try to get a good ROM, this hip goes up, doesn't stay flat on the floor. Chantel has her assistant try to hold it down, or she tries to hold it down when also trying to measure me. I have noticed more pain in my hip. It could be sore muscles, but I am worried that it might be the start of the same problem I had with my right hip. Something about the position of the pelvis. Wondering if I never will get great ROM because of my left hip. It doesn't bother me as much as the right one did, so not that I would have replacement on that. But it does make me wonder.
 
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Yesterday, we had squash bisque, turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, maple-glazed roasted root veggies (sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabagas) and an amazing seafood/appetizer/dessert buffet. No, I didn't cook--we went to the top of the Hancock tower (95th fl.) and hosted our friends and family at brunch (the only hour they could accommodate a party of 12). I had wanted to use my spiffy new oven, but Bob was still flashing back on last year's turkey debacle (due to our ancient stove with a quirky oven thermostat, I botched a free-range Williams-Sonoma turkey by undercooking the legs after nearly three hours and had to nuke them to avoid drying out the breast; my guests were ready to eat the tablecloth by the time the bird was ready). I was surprised that the cranberry sauce this upscale restaurant served was jellied. They sent us all home with one container of leftovers per family--so meager that we ended up doing "leftovers" by walking over to the local pub for supper and doing their Thanksgiving buffet. Nothing fancy: they even had that canned green-bean-and-mushroom-soup casserole with the fried onions on top. Sometimes you just have to have childhood comfort food. But they had whole-berry cranberry sauce, which they made from scratch. Instead of the Napa pinot noir we had at brunch, the pub was pouring light hard cider on draft--perfectly autumnal.

Debbie, I go up to Madison every couple of weeks to rehearse with my singing partner and HATE driving on the Beltline--never know what's going to happen. The worst is when it's late afternoon, heading W and the sun is in my eyes. Can't see diddly-squat. And what's with this weather? Yesterday afternoon, it was so warm I was able to leave my coat in the car and then drive home along Lake Shore Dr. with the sunroof open. Now it's 31F. Guess it comes with the territory of Great Lakes living. Sonja, the crash was in the news here as well---so tragic! The road layout was an accident waiting to happen: we have had several school buses hit when there was insufficient space between the commuter-rail tracks and the traffic light downhill. Police here have recommended that regardless of where the traffic light is, or how much room there seems to be between the tracks and the light, that one stop short of the tracks (treating the crossing gate and pavement marker as a red light) rather than be trapped on the other side between the tracks and the light.

Having a little pain on the lateral side of my R knee during the middle of the "arc" when I flex (up to 137 degrees!), but it really hurts to bend while standing & bearing weight--which throws a monkey wrench into even the most rudimentary choreography for the show I'm in. (More about this in my own recovery thread--don't wanna hijack this one).
 
Diva, yes driving East in the morning and west at night is bad on the beltline. I don't have to drive it very often as the stores I go to are on the west side, but I had the OT appointment on the east side and then needed to hit the stores I wanted to go to so had to take the interstate and then the beltline. I guess I don't mind it too much as I just normally like to just stay in my lane and go with the flow, but man when that tire came flying at me after the truck hit it, or lost it, it was scary as there was no place to go.
Your meals sound good. I had to make the canned green bean casserole but I use cream of chicken soup and I put in colby cheese too. My son from CA loves this and calls it "bean slop" so the name stuck.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom