Guest viewing is limited

TKR Debbie1954

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rita, we had turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, homemade buns, green bean casserole, squash, spinach, cranberries, orange salad, 5 in 1 salad (pineapple, oranges, coconut, marshmallows and sour cream) and of course pumpkin and pecan pies and ice cream. Did I say I wasn't dieting yesterday.
 
How can something with marshmallows in be a salad? Dressing? It's all foreign(ish) to me! Really interesting how a Roast Turkey dinner can be so different on opposite sides of the pond - do you have a different way of serving at Xmas?
 
We don't have a sit down turkey dinner for Christmas. I am hosting my family this year and there will be around 40 people here. We have a brunch or appetizer meal for that. Maybe you know what I call dressing as Turkey stuffing? People use to stuff the turkey with the bread cubed with spices and turkey stock for moisture, but they say it is safer to put it in a casserole dish then to stuff the bird with it when you roast the turkey. What are your traditions?
 
Deb, I'm glad you were able to share a Thanksgiving dinner while your son was visiting. It sounds like you had quite a feast! Yummmm..
No diet need join! :)

How is your BIL and sister doing?
 
Jacky, my BIL got to go home yesterday. Not sure if it was some panic attack or seizure or what. But when my sister got home she noticed that Rod's night time pills for the night before he had the spells was still in the container which means he didn't take them and she said something was really important to take so maybe it was that, that caused his problem.
 
Awe man Deb, your sister is going to have to watch his meds really close now. I'm glad they're home now though.
 
A couple pictures from last night. We "tried" to get a family picture with just our kids and grandson. My son's wife couldn't fly because she is pregnant and my daughter's husband HATES his picture taken. So he took the pictures. Eli normally likes his picture taken, but no way was he going to get his picture taken last night. It has been over a year since the kids were all together and I wanted a nice picture taken, guess we will have to wait and try next year. Oh, the kids said we should still use the one with Eli fusing for our Christmas card.
[Bonesmart.org] Debbie1954
[Bonesmart.org] Debbie1954
 
That's great! So that is your son Patrick on the right? How about the rest? Poor Eli...too much traveling? Nice family Debbie!
 
Lovely pics Debbie. Our Xmas dinner would be roast turkey, stuffing (served seperately like you, for safety!), pigs in blankets (mini sausages wrapped in bacon), cranberry, bread sauce & then the veg - roast potatoes, sprouts, carrots + anything else you fancy. Followed by xmas pud (double yum) with brandy/rum sauce. All low calorie of course! I approximate about 500 calories for one dinner!!!!
 
Nice pic Deb! Eli reminds me of me as a kid, you couldn't get me near a camera. All this food talk is making me hungry.
 
Marianne, no, from left to right, Patrick (33) Dave (64 :heehee:) Me (58) Jon (30) and Michelle in the front (36) and Eli (3 1/2) Patrick is from CA, and Michelle lives two hours away near Milwaukee and Jon lives right near our farm and he is taking over our farm when we retire. My boys are pretty good size especially Patrick, he knows he needs to lose weight, and wants to before the baby comes, but as we all know we only can do it for ourselves. Now my daughter is a size two and is into lifting weights and really eating healthy. Here is a picture of her lifting 215 pounds.
[Bonesmart.org] Debbie1954
 
Rita, what is bread sauce?
Bread sauce is a savoury sauce made from onion/nutmeg/clove flavoured milk & breadcrumbs. Delicious. we can buy it in packets or make it from scratch, here is the recipe
Bread Sauce Ingredients

  • 600ml milk
  • 50g butter
  • 1 onion , chopped
  • 6 cloves
  • 6 peppercorns
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 thyme sprigs
  • 100g white breadcrumbs
  • 4 tbsp single cream or mascarpone
  • pinch nutmeg , freshly grated

    Simmer the milk, butter, onion, cloves, peppercorns, garlic and herbs in a pan for 20 mins. Strain and return the liquid to the pan. Add the breadcrumbs and simmer for 3-4 mins. Stir in the cream or mascarpone. Add nutmeg, season and serve. Can be made up to 3 days in advance and heated up on the hob or microwave on Medium for 3 mins.
Yum - not long to Christmas x
 
Debbie your daughter is both beautiful and strong! wow 215 pounds. You have a lovely family. Eli is a cutie. You've got to show that photo to his girlfriend when he is 16 so keep it handy....time flies. My Patrick used to get upset about something and roll into a little ball like a pill bug :heehee:
 
Hi Debbie! I have finally caught up on your thread! Whew! :whistle:

I know all about sleep studies! I was died w sleep apnea in 1997 and have worn a cpap ever since! I cannot sleep without it. It has given me back energy, and restful sleep. My husband appreciates it too I sure! :rotfl:
 
Rita which dish do you put the bread sauce on? I will have my brother convert to our measurement system on Monday. My brain has been mush for almost 5 weeks now. Thank you so much for posting it!!! Can't wait to try it!
 
Well, Christmas Eve when Dad was still alive, Mom would cook Swedish Meatballs, and we would have mashed potatoes and gravy and a side dish. Then for dessert we would eat lefse! :happydance: I still order lefse as part of our tradition! Dad was a Norweigan thru and thru! :) I sure do miss him!
 
We do roast turkey with a spiced meat and breadcrumb stuffing. Roast potatoes. Brussels sprouts. Salad. At least one other veggie. Cranberry sauce. Gravy. Sometimes rolls. Christmas pudding, often with ice cream to counteract the richness (!)
The best part of Christmas dinner used to be Boxing Day when my mom would make her amazing turkey a la king. I can make it so it tastes the same, but it just doesn't taste the same, you know?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom