Guest viewing is limited

TKR Debbie1954

Status
Not open for further replies.
Debbie, Are you doing the ankle weights for flexion or extension? Could not quite tell from your description.
 
Lisa, I think it was for both. Obviously it helps with extension, but she was just trying to loosen me up a little and it helped. I just wish Dave was up to par for doing some of these things to help me. I use to go to her for my hip problem before my replacement and she would have him come along to watch so he could help me on the days I didn't have PT.
 
I need some help with sleeping here. I was hoping that Dave would get that sleep study thing done before we leave for AZ for the winter but he got a call today and he can't have it until after we get back. Right now we are sleeping in separate bedrooms :cry:well, the motor home only has one bedroom and his snoring is loud enough to wake the neighbors. I tried earplugs and I don't like something sticking in my ears and I can still hear him anyway. So I just ordered a soft headband headset. The reviews are good, so now I need something to plug it into. Not sure if sound machines have a plug in with them. Anyone have a sound machine, does it have a place to plug a headset into it? Or should I get a MP3 player or whatever they are. I am old and I did have a shuffle, but lost it. Do I get something like that and then a cd with white noise? If I get a shuffle and only but a white noise cd on it, is there a repeat button on it that it would play the same thing all night, or do I have to get a more expensive one. I told Dave he is going to have to sleep in the little tin shed we bought last year for our spot in the park.
 
Deb, can he go elsewhere for the sleep study. I saw a "Ear, Nose & Throat" specialist for mine and she set my sleep study quickly, maybe that's an option for Dave.
I have a portable, handheld CD player with ear plugs that I used to help me sleep and it has a repeat button as well. The discs that I played on it were "Solitude" tunes like ocean waves, thunderstorms, rainfall and I also played classical music which were all very soothing and helped get me to sleep, as a matter of fact I even brought it with me when I did the sleep study otherwise I would have concentrated on them watching me while I slept, which means I would not have slept.

I hope you find an avenue for this problem, otherwise one of you may not come out alive! :boohoo:
 
OMG you are going to go crazy! Does the ear piece plug into an iPod too? You could put some nice gentle music on it but geepers to have music or a plug in your ears all night doesn't sound very comfortable. One thing you can call the sleep people daily and see if they have a cancellation. But I agree with Jacky about finding another place. Is there a pull out bed in the living room of your motor home? Poor Dave and poor you! Is he tired in the morning? That's so sad that you can't sleep next to each other!!! OH MY.
 
Marianne, I did just order a headphone that is like headband, soft and doesn't stick in your ears. I need an ipod or something yet though. The motor home has a living room area, but the motor home is big, but I would be able to hear him for sure no matter where he is that is why I need something to muffle his snore.
 
oh my goodness. Even if he did have his sleep study earlier, what do they do? Give him one of those big mask/oxygen units to wear? Might take awhile to get all of that going anyway. Does he do it while on his back? If he's on his side does he quit snoring? I'm sorry I am no help at all! I guess you weren't kidding that the neighbors can hear it! I can just picture your whole motor home vibrating with his snores rumbling. Maybe someone else is going to come along with a good solution!
 
Marianne, it just got bad since his surgery as he has had to sleep on his back most of the time, but when we tried sleeping together I would nudge him and he still snored on his side. When I had my sister and her kids staying here they said they could hear him all the way in the basement bedrooms. I think the cpap machine will be really good. My brother has one and Dave's cousin has one and no more snoring. The machine makes a bit of noise, but it is like a white noise.
 
Debbie, As a short term solution until he has the sleedp study has he ever tried those strips that supposedly help keep the nose open. I think they are called something like "Breathe Right"? Just a thought.
 
Elanor, yes he has tried them too. Didn't like them. Best bet until the sleep study is something to block out the noise.
 
Debbie, It was just a thought. I don't really know abut white noise options. Good luck findiing something!
 
Marianne, it just got bad since his surgery as he has had to sleep on his back most of the time, but when we tried sleeping together I would nudge him and he still snored on his side. When I had my sister and her kids staying here they said they could hear him all the way in the basement bedrooms. I think the cpap machine will be really good. My brother has one and Dave's cousin has one and no more snoring. The machine makes a bit of noise, but it is like a white noise.

Yes Deb, the machine does make some noise, however it is like a white noise and Norm said he actually liked it. I guess it beat my gasping for air throughout the night!
 
Jacky,
I agree this sounds scary. My PT has me hang my legs over the edge of the bed and then gently pulls on the ankles. It really dies feel great, but I too would worry that Debbie's might be a bit much.

Debbie,
Could you be talking about IFC - inteferential current? Sounds like it.
 
Jebsw, yes, I googled that and that sounds like what she used the first time on me. The second time she use a TENS unit, I increased in flexion, but not as much as the first one. But I guess you can't get that interential current machine for home use. My doctor did write the script for it so now waiting to see if insurance will cover it.
 
DEbbie,
I think you will really like the home TENS unit, I use mine for all types of back and neck and knee ,etc pain. I was told that the longer you keep it on, the longer the residual pain relief lasts. Mine has been a Godsend. Dave can even use it on his neck, that's when I first got mine was after my neck surgery and it saved using alot of pain meds also. The one I have has different settings for various pulse types, they usually come with instructions on how to set them.
 
Rose, the one I am trying to get it through my therapist and I got to try it out and seemed wonderful. I don't know the stats on it, but it must be good if a therapist uses it. If my insurance doesn't pay for it, I will not buy it from them though as it was over $700. I see them online for around $100. What kind did you get and did your insurance cover it and if it didn't how much did you pay for it? thanks
 
Debbie My TENS is from RS Medical It is called RS TENS plus. I got mine from my Pain management Dr. and that is who they contracted with at the time. I did not have to pay anything, or just a small co-pay, don't remember now, insurance covered it for me. Mine comes with a case has a battery charger with it, they take 9-volt rechargeable batteries and the leads and patches with it. Since mine was for my back at the time, it came with a vest that you just snapped the electrodes on to and put the vest on and it hit all the spots at once, I think there were 8 of them on the vest. Then once a month RS medical would send new patches until I told them I didn't need anymore, insurance also paid for those. I hope you can get the insurance to pay, it is really a great device I have used it so much with great success.
 
Yesterday I told how Chantel pulled on my leg and it felt good. Now this wasn't a pull your knee apart pull, just a gentle pull. I had gone to her for some other therapy and Dave would come with me and he would see the equipment she had and he would try to duplicate it for me at home. So the one thing we had that he had attached to a beam in the basement works for pulling my leg now. I had told Chantel I would see if it works and will show her this picture. Look at my good extension there.
[Bonesmart.org] Debbie1954
 
Hi Debbie.. I noticed you tagged me for more information regarding the differences between TENS and IFC Current Therapy. The best response I can give you is to look at this link: broken link removed: https://www.differencebetween.net/science/health/difference-between-tens-and-ifc/ As I mentioned before, they both work on reducing pain and swelling. The TENS is a battery operated portable unit, that works well on muscle stimulation, this is the one if you want your muscles to jump. Bear in mind though that it will go through batteries pretty quickly. The IFC Current machine is a larger more accurate machine, I say more accurate in that it works at a higher frequency and penetrates more deeply to give you a feeling of that deep massage. It feels like the constant prickle, as opposed to the pulsing sensation felt with the TENS. Hope this helps... Good Luck
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom