Guest viewing is limited

TKR Debbie1954

Status
Not open for further replies.
Debbie that is great! I guess it really does take time and effort to get where we are going. I sure hope my new therapist is into the massage. Willie didn't do any.
 
Marianne, whatever you do, if you want massage, don't wait to see "if" they will do it. Ask if that is part of their way of therapy. There are therapists that are hands on, and there are therapists that stand there and count your repetitions.
 
Thats a good point Debbie. With Willie that's all he did was count reps. So Friday I will ask about that before hand at the new place.
 
Debbie first off I almost peed myself laughing picturing boobs caught in those hand things. I always wear sweats to PT, and sometimes I am not paying attention and the pant leg falls down and gets stuck near the pedals. Don't have enough boobs to get stuck:heehee:.

But you gave me a great idea to talk to my therapist about (the electrodes). I will discuss it and see what she says tomorrow. I need the energy anyways:)
 
Gail, what I like about the electric therapy is you get to just lay there and relax, sure it is giving you some zingers, it is shocking at first, but you get use to it. I always wear shorts to therapy as I did get my pants caught it it and a shoestring. The bike I ride even has a sign with a monster on it and it says I eat pants.
 
Oh Sonja, you are one of them that tells people not to worry if things are clean aren't you??? Let others do the work. You of all people should know not to get out of the shower without a towel or something on the floor. Girl, what are we going to do with you.....
I know I know, I put the cart before the horse in putting the mats in the washer and then climbing in the shower to scrub! Gotta love me anyway!:angel:
 
Reporting in on my PT today. Felt stiff when I woke up this morning so went and did my two miles with Leslie and 15 miles on the bike and my stool scoots. Leg up for awhile, then headed to town for PT. More bike moving seat closer and closer so knee had to bend more and I told her I can't move the seat any closer or my boobs would get tangled up in the moving handles on the bike. Rap those tubular boobs right around those handles, would not be a pretty sight. .

That's one thing I will never have to worry about! One day my sister Deanna, said "thanks Mom" Sonja and I got dad's flat chest!:rotfl:
 
TENS units are similar to IFC, in that they both block pain signals to the brain. TENS units are also widely used for muscle stimulation. Quite useful for someone who may not have the muscle control to exercise. IFC current on the other hand tends to send a deeper signal which works to aleviate inflammation and swelling. I have even had electrodes clipped to acupuncture needles to drive that signal even deeper to help with pain and swelling. TENS units are usually battery operated (they tend to eat batteries too) and more portable, where the IFC units are bigger but the signals generated are more precise. Just a few notes that the 2 units should not be confused. There's that SportsMedicine and ElectronicEngineering background rearing their ugly heads again....... Who'd a thought ya'd get this kinda insight from a mere truck driver!?!?
 
I start out PT with the Russian stim, and it focuses on revitalizing the muscle that had to be shortened. When they first started the treatment, I couldn't feel it now the muscle is starting to respond and I have to push down my knee with the muscles being stimulated. They have a pillow underneath, as my extension is zero, and Katie wants that quad to work! I do quad sets when the current is on and relax the muscle when the current is off. Then at the end after (Katie's boot camp), notice that I am the ONLY participant; :heehee: then I get the IFC treatment when I am finished! Good grief, I don't think I need a personal trainer, I think Katie has decided to secretly become mine! Tues I start Personal Training with Felice, and she is going to hook me up with some nutritious yummy recipes! I will post them on the weight loss board when I have time. School is eating my lunch this week! I am in two different groups; one group is great, and we are all go getters, so we always finish early! The second group, well...... I have one guy who works in Human Resources,and he doesn't understand the assignment! This is after I have already broken it down and made it as simple as can be! :gaah: :headbang: a little frustration is happening if you hadn't guessed!! :rotfl:
 
Gman, I will have to ask Chantel what it is that she used on me. It was a big unit and I had 4 electrodes attached to me. All I know is last night I was sitting on the sofa and my extension has been about 3 to 5 or so and last night I pushed down with my leg (not my hand pushing my knee) and it was a zero as I could not slip my hand under it.

Just got back from my annual physical and she said my knee looked really good. She also said it will take a year or more to feel the full results. Her father is a surgeon in our hospital and he had both of his knees done, so she knows what it is like taking care of a parent with knee replacements. Good news too is I was so afraid of gaining weight with my replacement seeing I wouldn't be able to exercise like I had been doing. But weighed exactly the same as I did 3 months ago at my pre surgical physical.
 
Hi Debbie, I was given a script for a neuromuscular electrical stimulator (with the four electrodes) it has the NES settings (Atrophy, trigger, spasm) - but it also has TENS (settings for knee, shoulder, back, hand, foot, custom); and Edema (acute / chronic.) And finally I believe the custom settings can be set by PT to help with ROM.
I use the NES with my exercies 2x a day (set to atrophy to help my quad fire correctly) and I use the TENS setting a couple hours a day trying to assist with the pain and swelling...it does seem to help.
 
Tuli, did you get it at your pharmacy? I just had a physical and I have a PA and she told me if I find out if the physical therapist thinks I should have one, she would write a script for it and hopefully insurance would cover it.
 
My PT gave it to me. Your OS or GP can write the script for it and the PT can get the unit for you. Insurance usually covers 70% with a 30% co-pay (at least that's what I was told) but I was also told you can use it for up to 3 weeks and return it if you no longer need it and not have to pay the co-pay (as it's usually billed a month after you get the unit.)
 
Well Debbie, Killer Katie was t it again today when I walked in the building. Rest of story on my thread! I hope we can meet in July! That would be o neat!
 
Hi Debbie,
I somehow lost track of your thread, so am just catching up.
My flexion is closing in on 130. Sounds great (and it is) but I will absolutely tell you that there is no way I could do all the other stuff you're doing. I can make it to five minutes on the bike before either my first knee is killing me or my feet cramp. And all that walking you do! So I may bend more but you can DO more. Tell your brother to ponder that. I love my older brothers too, but sometimes they are such jerks.
 
Debbie it really is amazing all the activity you are doing now. Very inspiring. Today I was able to do Scoots forward with bionic knee, lefty in the air. Yesterday I did them with both legs (easier) and before that it was really hard. I rested up the last 2 days and ended up gaining more strength rather than falling back. I am a little nervous about my first real PT tomorrow. The dr's office person would not add massage to my prescription. He said I would have to ask for it at my visit to OS on Thursday. I thought he should just ask the doctor when he gets him to sign it today. Only a few more days. You've all talked about the massage so much so I've been doing it to myself. Maybe that's why I no longer have the pain in quad area above my knee. I have the rubberband sensation but no pain there anymore. Tomorrow Natalie has her staples out. Hope that goes well. Also has anyone heard from MaryKaye? I worry about her. She's in NY and was in a rehab facility and not that happy but I haven't been able to find her again. She had surgery same day as me 16th October. Oh my I am overly wordy tonight. zippalock!
 
Oops it's not Natalie that has staples out tomorrow. I can't remember who's doing that tomorrow. Trying to keep everyone straight!
 
Marianne, another thing you can ask your therapist about is using a rolling pin. I have this neat little one from Pampered Chef and it has a 4 inch roller on one end and a two inch roller on the other end. My therapist has me rolling it on the muscles on my thigh to by knee and along the sides. Now when I am saying my therapist is using massage, it is basically just for the knee and thigh area. Not that your doctor thinks you want an all over body massage. I would think that you shouldn't even have to ask your OS for a prescription for that. Either your therapist knows how to do it, or he/she doesn't. Chantel can just dig into my leg and tell me which muscles are tight and she works on them.
 
Debbie I have that rolling pin too. I think it's for pastry. Finally it has a use at my house! The office worker said that he didn't know if it was too early for deep tissue massage around my newly cut muscles etc. I assume he knew I didn't mean a whole body massage but honestly doesn't that sound fabulous? I hope I get a Chantel today!!!!
 
Hey Debbie I asked my therapist yesterday about the electrical stimulation. She said she knew what I was talking about, but said they only do that for one on one visits (my therapy is a class). So she is going to talk to her supervisor about me going to the class 2 times a week and then another one time for one on one. Will see!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom