THR Debbie’s New Right Hip

Several milestones today, day 27. I was able to get my compression socks off by myself. I was able to put my legs up on the shelf in the shower to shave my legs. I was able to walk to our mailbox without a cane, about half a mile total up and back. I cooked dinner. changed the sheets on the bed. I can tell I’ve been active today, but I really feel fantastic. I’m amazed.
 
It's an amazing feeling when you start to realize your turning the corner to pain free movement @Dmcfad2! :happydance:Just don't get too excited, you are at a prime time to join the Over Did It Club (ODIC) not a nice place to visit if you can avoid it!
 
Had my one month follow-up with my surgeon today. Everything looks great. He released me to drive. He wants me to wait a couple more weeks before I start spin classes again. I’m feeling good. Still having muscular weight-bearing pain when walking much of the time, but it’s not that bad. Concentrating on not limping when I walk. I’ve been doing in home PT, but will start outpatient PT next week.
 
Wonderful news from your visit with the surgeon. I loved getting the okay to drive again, even though I didn’t for several days afterward, just knowing I could if I chose to made me happy! :driver:

Heel-toe, Heel-toe and you’ll lose the limp. I know you know this from past experience. I really had to concentrate on it for some reason, it didn’t come easy. Old habits die hard I guess.

Have a wonderful day and weekend, Debbie. :)
@Dmcfad2
 
You’re welcome, Debbie.
Almost forgot to wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary!
Nice milestone, I remember it from my surgery.
@Dmcfad2
 
31 days post-op. Yesterday and today, I am walking without my cane. Still having very slight pain, managing with Tylenol. Drove for the first time yesterday. Went to the store and bought food for the neighbors, who came over for a visit and drinks last night for a couple of hours. Felt fantastic, didn't get too tired. I am feeling better than I was pre-surgery. Bone on bone pain is gone!
 
I am so happy to hear you are doing so well. Being able to drive feels so liberating !!
 
5 weeks today. ROM is getting better. I cut my own toenails yesterday, all but my little toe on my operated side. It was a stretch, but I did it. Am getting closer to doing a figure 4. I’ve been practicing that one a lot. I am very tight from years of hip pain. Home PT has ended and I start outpatient this week. I do my PT exercises every day several times a day, faithfully. I am walking a little longer each day. Have barely any pain, only when I first get up from sitting for a while, but it works out after a few steps. I noticed that I am standing straight. No more hunching over to compensate for my hip pain. I am able to get dressed without the reacher. Tylenol every 6 hours, as needed. One question I have is about sleeping. I have been sleeping on both sides without a problem since two weeks post op. I don’t put a pillow between my legs, but am wondering if I should. No one ever told me to, but I have read that we should to avoid crossing the legs when sleeping. I feel fine when I am sleeping. I wake up when I roll over, but fall right back to sleep. I just don’t want to risk dislocation at this point.
 
No harm in preventing strain on the joint in the direction that would cause dislocation. I took the restrictions as time for allowing the capsule to heal possibly insuring a lessening of any dislocations in the future. I stopped with the pillow but for me I went back to it as it helped my back. I had a tendency to roll toward my stomach nd place strain on my back, the pillow stopped that.
As far as stretching and doing figure 4's I just don't push any stretches, just easily do the positions.
 
I noticed you had an anterior approach. My husband did too. He did not have to use a pillow.
 
Tomorrow will be 6 weeks post op. Hip is fantastic. Suddenly, my left knee is acting up. I can hardly walk on it. I’m bummed, because I was so happy to be out of hip pain and now I’m having to use my cane again for my knee. I have had pain in my knee off and on for years, but it went away for about a year, probably because my right hip pain was so bad that I just didn’t notice it. Now, I’m walking straight again and my left knee isn’t having it. I want to cry.
 
Called my surgeon’s office today to make an appointment for my left knee. It was bothering me a lot back in late 2020, then went away. Suddenly, it is acting up again. I see him June 7. Hoping it can be resolved without surgery. I tried cortisone before and it didn’t really help much. On a more positive note, my hip surgery has been a resounding success. My hip has never felt better! Today is my 6 week anniversary.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom