THR Debbie’s New Right Hip

Day 16. I still can not put on my socks. I have to use the sock helper. I don’t have a lot of flexibility. I’m working on lots of stretches. I think I might be feeling a little withdrawal coming off the oxy. I was on it for 5 months after getting out of the hospital and then two more weeks after this surgery. I am so happy to be off those pills. I have a bit of a stomachache, a headache and a flluish feeling. Nothing I can’t handle, but it occurred to me that it might be withdrawal symptoms, so I looked it up and I think it might be. The good news is that I have hardly any pain and it is being well controlled with Tylenol and Celebrex. I’ve been walking all over the house today without a cane. Now I am sitting here icing my hip.
 
Today is day 20. Yesterday we drove to our second home in Arizona, a 4.5 hour drive. We stopped a few times along the way so I could get out and walk around a bit. When we got here, we visited with some friends and then went out to dinner to see a friend of ours play music. By the time we got home, I was SO tired and pretty sore. I have been walking around my house without a cane, but last night I could barely move. I was wishing I still had some oxycodone left, but I didn’t, so I took some Tylenol and went to bed. This morning, I am a bit better, but still feel more sore than I have been feeling. I actually feel a little sick, too. I just overdid it, I guess. Today I plan on taking it easy. It is very hard for me to just sit here. There is a lot to do around here, because we haven’t been here in over 6 months. Oh, well. I’ll leave it to my husband, for now. Hoping to feel better by this afternoon.
 
Easy does it @Dmcfad2 ! You are only days out of major surgery. All that driving, dinner and a concert - that is a lot of activity for so early out. Please be good to yourself. Ice and elevate and no chores. This year Hubby will have to do the work.
 
@Jaycey I should have known better. I’ve been feeling so good this time around, unlike my last hip surgery. Thanks.
 
We have all done this. Recovery is all about finding the limits, scaling back and trying again later.

Glad this hip is easier for you. My second THR was the same so I do know how easy it is to get too active too soon.
 
Boy, I am weepy today. Feeling depressed and down. It doesn't make sense. My recovery is going so well, so why am I so down?
 
Boy, I am weepy today. Feeling depressed and down. It doesn't make sense. My recovery is going so well, so why am I so down?
Doing too much maybe your body is letting you know. Or withdrawal from pain meds??

Hope you bounce back soon
 
@Dmcfad2 :console2: It is not at all unusual for you to have a down day - this is very typical after a major surgery. All the changes in your body + medications + the stress of healing. Do good/fun things for your self and know this too shall pass.
 
Boy, I am weepy today. Feeling depressed and down. It doesn't make sense. My recovery is going so well, so why am I so down?
Doing too much maybe your body is letting you know. Or withdrawal from pain meds??

Hope you bounce back soon

Didn't think of that. You might be right.
 
Boy, I am weepy today. Feeling depressed and down. It doesn't make sense. My recovery is going so well, so why am I so down?


Afraid it is a common post major surgery symptom.

I dont know if its the hype of the op build up and then the down that its finally over. Adrenaline or auto body reaction, hormones maybe. Such a complex subject.

But you should come out of it, support helps though if you have that.
 
Today is my 3 week anniversary. I haven’t felt much in the way of improvement over the last few days. I am not complaining because I feel I am doing fantastic. I had a very fast recovery early on with lots of new milestones every day. The soreness in my hip is about the same for the last three days. I am able to walk without my cane, but it still hurts a little. I know I am healing. My scar looks fantastic. The scabs are starting to fall off. They glued my scar, so I have no staples or stitches. The blues I was feeling yesterday have gone away. All in all, I am happy with my progress.
 
@Layla Good morning. Can you point me to the recovery timeline that Josephine used to post? It is a graph. Hope you know which one I am talking about. I can’t find it.
Edited to add: never mind. I found it. :)
 
Good Morning Debbie,
I’m sorry it may have looked as though I was online, but I stepped out for a bit. It takes about 30 minutes of inactivity for our name to drop off which means we’re not always on the forum while our name is showing. I’m glad you found what you were looking for.

You were on my mind to check in on as I read elsewhere you were feeling a little blue yesterday and I was going to see if you’re doing any better today. I hope that you are.
I experienced a little post op blues myself a couple times early on, but noticed the mood that would wash over me seemed to disappear almost as quickly as it came. That’s not necessarily the case with everyone though. I think there are many possible causes. Pain, fatigue, reactions to pharmaceuticals, the physical and emotional stress of surgery and recovery, the inability to do what you want, when you want and therefore feeling dependent upon others. Then there can be nagging thoughts of complications, which are rare. There’s also boredom.

I found it necessary to stay busy, keeping my mind occupied. I also needed to get outside and take in the sights, sounds and scents of nature. Soak in some sunshine. A car ride even helps. If you can exercise by walking outdoors, I highly recommend it. I’d only gauge progress by weeks, not days. Pick a day of the week and reflect back on what improvements you’ve made on that day only each week. Attempting to see daily progress can be a downer as it’s not that noticeable. Eat as healthy a diet as possible and stay adequately hydrated. All important.

I’ll share a few suggestions of things I did to keep my mind engaged: crossword puzzles, regular puzzles, color in adult coloring books, read a good book, research and plan your next vacation, peruse Pinterest or Houzz...if you have any interest in homes / decor, start a recipe collection, play online games, page through magazines, call an old friend, catch up on emails, organize a photo album, watch a Netflix series or movies on the Hallmark channel which is most often light and uplifting....to name only a few.

Sending a hug your way and wishes for a brighter day! :SUNsmile:
@Dmcfad2
 
Now, I need to edit, lol.
I didn’t read your update two posts up and am happy to see you’re feeling better already.
Yay! :yahoo:
 
24 days post op. I’m feeling good. Making small improvements daily. Gaining a little more flexibility. PT is working with me to be able to put on my shoes and socks. I’ve been tight in the right hip for years, so I need lots of stretching. Walking mostly without a cane, but using it in the late afternoon because I still have soreness, mostly in my groin when I am weight bearing. I’m taking Tylenol for my pain. Sometimes I wish I had something a little stronger on my bad days. I hesitate to ask for more narcotics, so I’m just pressing through. I feel like I could walk better if I had better pain relief. My PT suggested Tramadol, which I guess is a milder pain med. Maybe I will send a request to my surgeons office.
 
Be careful on the stretching. You got plenty of time to stretch. There is no guideline that you need to stretch immediately after surgery (you're only a month out) or you regress.

When I stretched a lot before the soft tissue was ready, that tissue screamed. I mean loud. That tissue has to heal or you could just find yourself aggravating a wound.

So the rule is to pay attention to how your body feels after the stretching if you want to do that now. Pain is not gain.
 
Day 27. Almost 4 weeks post op. I walked all over the place yesterday without my cane and no limping, with minimal pain. I felt pretty good. Noticed pain and soreness in the evening and also stiffness and soreness this morning when I woke up, which sends me back to my cane or else I limp. See my surgeon on Wednesday and am hoping to be released to do lots of things I want to do.....drive, go to the gym, spin classes, swim, jet-ski. Still not pain free, but I’m getting better. I’m doing some PT every day, gentle exercises to strengthen and improve my ROM. Still can’t get my own sock on my right foot without the sock helper. That’s a goal I have. I am having some pain in my right elbow that I think is related to using my cane. Also, noticing knee pain on my left knee that I was experiencing before surgery, but I hadn’t felt it for several months. Now, it’s back. :nah:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom