THR Debbie’s New Right Hip

Another note. I just removed my bandage and my incision is healing great. It’s about 3.5 inches long. I think it is glued. I don’t see any stitches and I don't have to go back for any kind of removal. My last THR was stapled.
 
Sounds like you are doing great. I too remove bandages on the 23rd. No sutures to remove on me either. They are supposed to do solve on their own which I was happy about.
 
Aaw, thanks! You’re kind. :) :-) (:

Great news on your incision. I’ll bet you like this method better than staples...which always remind me of Frankenstein. :yikes: I was so happy my surgeon didn’t use them.
 
Day 9. I am getting around better. Still using the walker, but am doing short walks about the house with my cane. My therapist said I am walking well with the cane. I am working on standing up straight because I bent forward a little for years to compensate for the pain in my hip. I can feel the stretch in my quad when I stand correctly. I am amazed that I am not feeling any kind of energy drain. I just don’t feel tired until bedtime. I even made a pot of chili today. I continue to be amazed at this recovery compared to my left hip 7 years ago. I really feel fantastic. My pain is well controlled with my pain meds. I am stretching out the time between doses, planning to wean off completely within the next week or so.
 
Wow. Today is only my day 10 and I just woke up with barely any pain! I took my last pill at 8pm and slept really well until 5:30 am. I might be able to stop taking narcotic pain meds today. I’m going to give it a try and use Tylenol alone and see how I feel. Have a great day, everyone!
 
Happy Friday Debbie :wave:
You are doing amazingly well at only a week and a half post op! Keep up whatever you’re doing, it’s working. I’m happy for you.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Dmcfad2
 
Wow you’re doing amazing. I just got my 56 doses of oxy from my sister who went to pharmacy for me. I suspect I will be using them as that tendon he cut is really painful when I walk. He did say expect to use a walker for a month. I definitely need the support of it.
Glad you’re off the walker and a tad jealous lol. Keep up the smooth recovery it is inspiring.
 
Day 11. I hesitate to even write because everything is going so well. I write every day as a blog for myself so I can look back at my recovery and where I was on any given day. I used my cane all day yesterday until the evening when I went back to my walker because I did get more sore with just the cane. Back on the cane this morning. I am still having some pain in and around my scar, of course. Early days. I have cut my oxy in half to 5 mg today and plan on taking it about every 8 hours, supplementing with Celebrex and Tylenol. I tried going without the oxy yesterday, but soon realized it was still helping me, so cut it in half today to see how that goes.
 
I am getting alot of family advice to try to go without the oxy. I am.like why would I do that? Why feel more pain than you have to. Thankfully my inner thigh is feeling better. Yesterday was hard to walk where I was avoiding it. oxyconton has so much bad press around it you would think it were heroin or something. If I still have pain I'm going to take it as prescribed. The anti swelling drugs are not working too well it seems....plenty of swelling.
 
@Mersada The swelling must be annoying and painful. I still have some hip swelling, but it’s not too bad. Today I’m noticing a tightness and more tenderness around my scar and more pain there, probably because I cut my pain meds down. It’s not unbearable, though. Hope your swelling gets better!
 
Hi Debbie,
I understand your feelings of hesitancy in updating due to the wonderful recovery you’re enjoying. You‘re very thoughtful in considering the feelings of those less fortunate in their journey. Look a it this way though...your story will be an inspiration to many going forward. Those searching for uplifting posts and recovery stories of those growing in strength and stability week by week without complication. I know updates such as yours were the type I loved and “needed” to read as I struggled with scheduling my surgery out of fear.

I encourage you to continue to use the forum to journal your experience, not only for yourself, but current and future BoneSmart members. It will benefit others. You’ve been sensible in your approach through trial and error allowing your body to be your guide. It should take you far without set-backs. Keep it up, you’re doing great!
@Dmcfad2
 
Today I’m noticing a tightness and more tenderness

The tightness is due to swelling as I’m sure you know. Not sure of your experience with your first THR, but it seems the area around my incision was tender for months. Also took months for the numbness to completely dissipate, slowly it returned to normal.

Jamie from Admin shared this valuable info sometime ago that I found interesting -
Jamie shared that it’s our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on it’s own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.
So elevate as you ice if you’re not already.

I hope you don’t mind, but I‘m tagging @Mersada in on that lymph system info above as it will benefit her as well and I know you two are sharing your healing journeys.
 
@Layla Thank you very much for that info. I sit in my recliner a lot, so my legs aren’t really elevated in the “toes above nose” sense. Should I be adding a pillow under my leg, do you think? I also am not icing enough. I need to do it more.
 
I was not good about elevating in my recovery. It is not what I advise though because I now understand the importance and benefit. Can you recline and watch tv, or read, with your leg “toes above nose” a few times a day, icing at the same time?
Consider trying that. :)
@Dmcfad2
 
Today I was able to lift my operated leg on to my bed without using my hands to help me. Also, I was able to get in the car passenger seat today without using my hands to lift my leg. We went to a neighbors house for dinner and drinks last night. After being there a little over two hours, my hip really started to ache, so we came home. It was pretty sore and more swollen, so I iced it and elevated before bed. By this morning, it was much better. I had cut my pain med dosage in half to 5mg, which has worked fine when I’m just sitting around at home, but I needed a 10mg last night after visiting for so long. I didn’t realize how much the pain meds are still helping me. Today is 12 days since surgery.
 
So you're finding those outer limits of what your body feels comfortable with. We all hit those points.

Sudden increases in activity seem to lead to pain and soreness. Everytime--I mean EVERYTIME I pushed things on a consecutive days--my body screamed.

Yes, those pains meds can really help!
 
Day 15. I was able to move from the recliner back to my bed last night. Had a wonderful night’s sleep. No problems. My pain is minimal. I stopped the oxy pain pills today and am just taking Celebrex and Tylenol. I am beginning to walk without my cane. My PT told me I am not limping without it, so I plan on practicing more and more without it. I am a little more sore this afternoon after walking a lot unassisted. I always seem to be worse later in the day, which makes sense. I still have swelling and numbness around my scar, but it’s not too bad. I am feeling well enough to travel to our second home on the Colorado river in Parker, AZ. I called my surgeons office to get the okay, because it is a 4 hour drive. She said to stop every hour and walk around, and do foot pumps in the car while we are driving. I am so happy. I haven’t been able to walk without a walker for almost 6 months and I was in so much pain. This surgery has been life changing for me.
 
So happy to catch up on your thread @Dmcfad2 :egypdance:
This is indeed a life changing and life enriching surgery.
Summer will be so sweet.
:SUNsmile: :flwrysmile::SUNsmile:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom