TKR Dearjr's new knee

I hope
Going out for a leisurely bike ride on the boardwalk. Will try to do 6 miles today!
 
I am only 8 days ahead of you and have finally begun sleeping through the night again. I found that wearing earplugs is helping me, as I am a light sleeper and have always waked easily at noises in the night. The problem is that I don't fall right back asleep like I used to. So not being able to hear things that go bump in the night is making my sleep much better.
 
At five months out I've yet to sleep through the night but I can roll over now and fall back to sleep pretty quickly. One of these days I'll sleep all night! :)
 
I'm still working at sleeping for 3 hours straight
Still not sure why I get up

Does anyone have experience with the numbness and strange sensation of the knee
It feels most annoying when I'm wearing pants. In shorts it's much better
I'm 10 weeks out and waiting for it to change. It's a little less sensitive on not numb side
 
Today was the first real day I had increase in swelling due to weather
Is this common?
 
I haven't noticed that the weather has any effect on swelling. Did you do anything extra in the way of activities today?
 
I was in pool therapy yesterday but didn't do anything new
The numbness also felt more today if rubbed
 
I'm still working at sleeping for 3 hours straight
Still not sure why I get up

Does anyone have experience with the numbness and strange sensation of the knee
It feels most annoying when I'm wearing pants. In shorts it's much better
I'm 10 weeks out and waiting for it to change. It's a little less sensitive on not numb side

I still have some numbness in my right knee from surgery in January. My left knee (surgery in August) has similar numbness, but not as much as the right. About the strange sensation you mention. About week 5 or 6 or so for my first TKR, I had a VERY sensitive spot on my right knee, very localized and EXTREMELY sensitive to anything that touched it. Now at week 8 for my second TKR I am developing a similar sensitive spot at about the same location on my left knee. My guess is this is some kind of nerve healing. Very occasionally, the sensitivity recurs on my right knee, but it goes away quickly. Must just be part of the healing process. When I ask my doc about it, he is not concerned and would rather talk about overall alignment and what to him are more important issues. When I see him again in a couple weeks I intend to let him know that it is important to me to understand the source of this discomfort since it is important for me to understand why this is happening. I know that if I let him know it is important to me, he will respond, I just need to be more direct in telling him I need to know the cause.
 
Only spot still numb is outside part of the knee. Can feel pretty much everything in the other parts, including the incision. Still some sensitive spots, mostly to light touches. Our puppy's whiskers when she's close to my knee really irritate. Other than that, everything's pretty good.
 
Celle's post #266 above can answer your question about the numb area on the outside of you knee. My knee is still numb but improving after 18 mos. The nerves have to regrow and it can take awhile.
 
There is a number on each post at the middle bottom after any signature. Your post above is number 274. Just look for post 266 in this thread.
 
At five months out I've yet to sleep through the night but I can roll over now and fall back to sleep pretty quickly. One of these days I'll sleep all night! :)
I'm 3.5 months and have not slept more than 3.5 hours at a time. Some day...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
@Ferni. Hope we can find a way to sleep better. I've tried Benadryl and melatonin but no luck.

Also I find when I stand for more than 10-15 mins straight my knee cap gets edema and I can press my finger in and it leaves a indent
Then if I flex I feel like the knee is crinkly on my pants because of my numb areas still on the lateral side
I'm at 11 weeks now
 
@Dearjr , the swelling/stiffness from standing too long dissipates gradually for some of us. I still get it- not daily but sometimes- and my one year ann-knee-versary is coming up.
 
@Clipless thanks for an answer. I guess I have to be patient and just see how it goes. It's just a very annoying feeling
I hope it doesn't last much longer....patience is not my strongest suit
 
Hey @Dearjr I thought I would answer your question here rather than on Rob's thread as I did not want to derail his thread. Just not too sure about that protocol. It's a tough question to answer.

I think I know what you mean about the knee feeling crinkly against your pants. I get some of that still. I did do exercises to desensitize my incision site that I found on the web and that seemed to help.

What really bothers me is the constant focus on my knee because it feels different, tighter than the other knee, there's still numbness on the surface, and I get little stabbing pains. I just always know it's there and I can't seem to get away from it. Also the intermittent popping and clicking kind of drives me nuts. Kneeper told me it takes awhile for the knee to feel normal.

I am heading to Florida for a two week vacation in early November and I am hoping it feels a bit more normal then.

How is the sleeping going? My sleeping continues to improve. Friday night I was up half the night but that was the worst of it this week.

I am heading out to do a 12 mile bike ride today. I only have a few more weeks of biking here. You should join us in the Bonesmart Cycling Club for us. Think about it.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom