TKR Dearjr's new knee

Just remember, that after riding 4.4 miles on the board walk, you'll have another 4.4 miles back. You might want to turn around half way, unless you've been riding that far already and are prepared for 8.8 miles.
 
I do feel great about the things I could do now that I wasn't able to before. Like tying my shoe putting my leg in my pants instead of sliding it in etc
The journey is still evolving with the knee still feeling like its there. Instead of invisible. That's the day we long for

Yesterday I uncluttered my treadmill set it at 3 and walked 10 mins. Some mild swelling after and quad tender in an
Anyone ever try kinesiology tape? Does it work?
Hope to bike ride with wife today on Boardwalk. It's 4.4 miles. Hope to make it!
Sounds like you're doing well. Bravo. Keep it up. Never could figure out the kinesiology tape thing, so can't help you there. I am starting to increase the distance on the morning walk with our puppy. With cooler weather reportedly just around the corner, I also plan to start walking a bit on my own. Hitting tennis balls is also on the agenda, but that depends on someone willing to put up with a less-than-mobile partner.

And, yes, I still know there's something different about my knee. Expect that to last a good while longer.
 
Good! I thought 8.8 miles would be quite a bit at this point in your recovery! Have fun!
 
Riding your bike with your wife! That will be so much good energy and restoration of your true self. So wonderful.
 
Just keep icing and moving. At the beginning the improvements feel like they come every few days but after a few months they come slower. But they do come!
Yes, it's kind of like you realize one day "I couldn't do that a few weeks ago, but now I can!"
And when I think of where I was last June and where I am today :yes!:
 
Just finished the bike ride. It was fun
Out in the boardwalk was refreshing!

The knee felt great when riding ....loose

After the ride a little stiffer but no pain

Tonight off to the Met game!
 
Just came back from os. Told me to extend flex and said all looks well. Some mild fluid in knee still. Estimates my flexion at around 120 and hopes to see me at 125. Extension almost there. No untoward side affects from bike riding. Will start elliptical today and see how it goes.
Kinesiology tape still on seems to help
Stiff in morning but after 2 mins of cycling on bike feels fine down steps.
Still not normal feeling but time will help
 
Just came back from os. Told me to extend flex and said all looks well. Some mild fluid in knee still. Estimates my flexion at around 120 and hopes to see me at 125. Extension almost there. No untoward side affects from bike riding. Will start elliptical today and see how it goes.
Kinesiology tape still on seems to help
Stiff in morning but after 2 mins of cycling on bike feels fine down steps.
Still not normal feeling but time will help
Excellent news. Mine is still stiff, but not as bad since I cut back on exercises to just biking, heel slides (4 versions), and walking our dog. Extended the dog walk today to about a mile, with no bad side effects. Hit 3 months next Monday, and several people have told me once past that they feel almost normal again.

Keep up the good work. Pulling hard for your continued improvement.
 
Great update, wish my tightness would let up after a couple of minutes of cycling, lol.
 
Another good report!

I asked my hip buddy at work when did her hips feel like they were part of her (or "normal") and she said it was about a year out. I find I do forget about the knee when I'm busy at work so I guess work can be a good thing, hm?
 
@tigz when I'm sitting I forget about the knee..but not during standing !
@Rob 68 hope we get there together!
What 4 versions of heel slides are there ?
Do that do different things?
 
@Celle is right, @Dearjr. I do the chair, the prone without aid and the prone using a towel to (gently) pull it back, and also do the wall slides, where gravity helps a bit. I don't feel any pain, and each one seems to add a little more flex. Only do one set of 10 on each to avoid overdoing it, then go directly to the stationary bike for a 12-minute ride.

Took some experimenting to find the right combo that helps my primary problem - flexion - without tiring me out for hours and hours. Swelling has also diminished considerably, credit for which I primarily give to Father Time and Jack Frost.

The one lesson I believe all of have learned is that one recovery does not fit all. We all tiptoe through the tulips and minefields, and with support from our families and friends, including the ones we met here, finally complete our journeys.

Here's to normal knees and long, peaceful bike rides.:cheers:
 
JR, good news . Are you saying you can go down stairs without any discomfort? That's the one thing that still is difficult for me. I wouln't say painful but something close.
 
I just don't "get" kinesiology tape. Wrapping it around something .... I can see that making a difference. But just putting a length of it along the arm or leg or whatever (which is what I mostly see with coworkers who use it) ... I don't see what it does. Just seems like it prevents the skin from stretching there and it's a mystery to me how that can have much of an effect of any kind. (maybe it's suppose to remind people not to do anything that will stretch that portion of the skin?) Does anybody here have pointers about how it's suppose to work?
 
I'll ask @Pumpkln about kinesiology tape. i think she has some experience in using it.
 
Kinesiology tape theoretically works by decompressing tissues, supporting muscle, removing congestion to the flow of body tissues, activating endogenous analgesic systems, and correcting joint problems. It also provides additional proprioceptive (knowing where your limbs are) input to your brain.
The tape has an elastic quality that lifts the tissues when applied, decompressing tissues.
There is controversy over the effectiveness of kinesio taping with some studies showing no effect.
It kinesio tape helps use it, if it doesn't help don't use it.
I find it helps me for about one day.
 
@Rob 68 you are right. You have to find right combo. I do heel slides 10 at a time but twice a day

@Wanttobebiking the stairs in the morning are a little stiff but after that the flex feels good

@Pumpkln @analysta i have it on for 4days. Maybe the first day it helped.

I just realized I started taken aleve 5 days ago and maybe that is helping my knee the most rather than the kinesiology tape

Any thoughts on how long and how much aleve you could take?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom