Guest viewing is limited

THR Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's it, I'm on the other side AGAIN!!
Had the op yesterday, last night I was very comfortable with both the effects of the epidural & the continued spinal block.
This morning they reduced the level of spinal block by half (from 10 to 5), because of my lack of feeling it meant I couldn't get out of bed today with the physio's, so the plan was to either turn the spinal block off tonight before I sleep, by tomorrow all feeling will be back & then physio can begin, or have a comfortable night & then turn it off & by afternoon I'll have feeling back & do physio. I opted to have it turned off tonight. & wow within an hour my leg was burning up & I was in so much pain. I had oral morphine, but just couldn't cope, so I'm back on the spinal block :-( I don't know how I'm going to cope with this pain - I don't remember it from last time, then again they do keep telling me that this was more than just a straight forward THR !!
I spoke with the surgeon earlier, & he didn't replace the head in the end - so no rubik cube I'm afraid! He tried to dislocate it & said it was so difficult he ended up removing some muscle & using a tool to achieve dislocation, this proved that the head was fine. He has given me a long pole down the femur & strapped the top half up to protect the fracture. X-ray in a few days, so I'll get to post another picture then.
Now the road to recovery ...



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Michelle1976 welcome back to the other side!!!!

Like you, I didn't have too much pain with the first THR but this 1st stage of the 2 stage hip revision is a whole different story. It has gotten better for me so hopefully it will for you.

Rest up and take it easy and I'll look forward to hearing more about your recovery
 
hi @Michelle1976 . very glad to hear you're After. sounds kind of complicated. I hope the pain is under control and, as you said, you get on to recovery, which should go very smoothly.
 
Hi @Michelle1976 I am so pleased to hear that you are on your road to recovery and I hope it goes really well.I hope they manage to get the pain relief sorted for you so you are more comfortable now.Thinking of you Michelle and sending you all my good wishes.
 
Hi @Michelle1976 glad you are beginning to recover.
I hope they find a good pain med strategy for you quickly.
Best to you! :friends:
 
Thanks everyone!
Pain had been a problem, had the spinal block off totally today, & for the most part, it's been hard. I'm pretty comfortable now & I'm taking any pain relief I'm offered.
Physio's got me out of bed earlier & I promptly threw up :-( so that didn't last long. I've had an xray & I'm hoping I get to see that tomorrow!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Michelle, you had your THR in October 2013????? You are 37????? You are the same age as me - I had my THR August 2013. . .when I was 38. I hope you are doing better now. (I do believe you had posted on one of my posts about a month ago). Looking forward to seeing how you are doing now (once I read your lasted posts). Wait until you hear my most recent update (as of April 3rd 2014).
 
[Bonesmart.org] Day 1

It's not the clearest of pictures, but here's my latest X-ray!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No...not mad..normal to want to get on with your life Michelle..that is exciting....good luck for Tuesday...Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Sorry Hun...missed the last posts...glad the op over and you get get on with your recovery. Great X-ray....loving the 'zip'....hope you keep the pain under control...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
You could have a new nickname @Michelle1976 Zippy!
:heehee: Oh, teasing... forgive me.
Your xray is very interesting. Thanks for posting. Feel good soon. !
 
So, it's the end of day 3 post op, & I've turned that corner. Yesterday was a bad day with pain (& sickness cutting my physio short), but today, I've been relatively pain free, & the physios have had me out of bed & walking up & down the ward!
Feeling good.
Going to get my head down now (it's late) & hope for another good day tomorrow.
Night, night x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Day 6 & I'm home. They're being really cautious with me & asking me to be partial weight bearing for 3 months!! But I'm home & happy to be home :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Michelle, congratulations on being home! Give yourself time to get used to it and your new routine - especially pain meds. It can be a big change getting from hosp to home- let yourself adjust.
I hope you continue to do well- you're an expert after all! :)
Gill

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
So glad you are in the comfort of your own home...nothing like it! It must be a pain to be non weight bearing for 3 months....but I'm sure you will cope really well. Hope all goes well xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 8 days post op now & I have to say, I'm feeling great (after all I was in so much pain with the fracture previously!) the only annoying thing, is the itchy ness of the wound / that's healing for you I guess. Staples will be out on Monday - can't wait.
Only other thing to note, although I'm 99% sure my consultant said 3 months for partial weight bearing, all the notes I've been sent home with, say 3 weeks - that would be better, but just don't know what to do(!)
I'm seeing Consultant 15th May (which will be 6 weeks post op), so I'm going to continue partial weight bearing until then & then see what he says!
I hope everyone else is well x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom