Guest viewing is limited

THR Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an allergic reaction to the medical adhesive glue too. I was terrified that it was an infection. but it wasn't thankfully.

And to add...that is some incision. Poor baby. You were really cut open.
 
just checking to see how you're doing @Michelle1976 . I hope the infection is getting better fast. and that your pain level has gone way down. you have really been thru it. now may it be smooth all the way.
 
Thanks again everyone.
My infection is very mild, nurse wasn't at all concerned about it today (nor was she worried about the reaction to the adhesive). I've got to complete the course of Anti B's, but otherwise, the nurse is happy.
Pain level is very low, I've reduced pain meds to just twice a day now & still feels good.
I have to say, I've got to that point in recovery where I feel quite strong, & I'm able to take steps without any real thought or pain, but I know I shouldn't (Drs orders), but now I know it doesn't hurt (& actually feels quite strong already), I find myself accidentally leaving the sofa without my crutches & not realising I've done so until a couple of steps into it, then I have to make the same couple of steps back to get crutches!!! Anyway, it's feeling good, but I don't want to ruin anything or jeopardise my holiday next month, so I'm trying so hard to still with the crutches (but it is a good feeling to know things are healing & feeling good) :-))


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Michelle, I've just been catching up on your thread. It's sounds like you are doing really well after all you've been through. What a long scar! Cool staples X-ray! Best wishes for your recovery.
 
I am also glad to hear you're doing so well. Have a great day and keep up the good work! :)

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
Great news.... So glad all is getting better...and that it was a mild infection..,, you will be do ready for that holiday xxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi. Has it really been over a week since my last post? Time flies. Well, course of anti biotics complete & scar healed nicely. No soreness now, & it's looking really good.
However, as I alluded to in my last update, I started using my crutches less & less around the house, & I seem to have got into the habit of having a day of hardly using them at all, & then really aching & regret having done so much without the crutches, so the next day, I stick with the partial weight bearing instructions & that seems to help me recover from the aches, but the next day I do too much again. It's a pattern that on my good days I like, but when I'm aching I worry!! I do think (despite what my Consultant says) that I need to build a little muscle, & the only way I'm going to do that is by using it (a little). However, it is 4am now, & I'm in a little discomfort (today I've walked quite a bit without aids) - even forgetting to bring the crutches upstairs to bed! I'm more concerned tonight, because I've been in bed for 5 hours (resting), yet I'm still in a little bit of pain :-(
It's the weekend, so I'm going to have family with me for the next couple of days, they will tell me off if I walk without my crutches, so hopefully I'll recover from this by Monday.
I hope everyone else is well - I'm going to catch up on your posts now xxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I still overdo it at 2 years + and have to have a rest day - you are doing so well Michelle, slow and steady honey x
 
@Michelle1976 Am I correct in that you are 6 months out and now have an infection? Bless your heart sweetie!

Yes, @Michelle1976 the title of your thread title says "1 day" and I'm reading that you have an infection now and you are somewhere around 6 months post op? I'm a little confused. Did you have a new hip replacement about a month ago in March? I remember my hip looking exactly like that when I was about 4 weeks post op. I had an infection also right in the middle as well. I'm concerned that this infection is happening at 6 months post op.
 
Ah yes, I did have TLHR in October, but unfortunately it fractured end if February, so I've now had it replaced again :-( all except the head - that's the same one from October.

I've just tried to change my signature, but on my phone it just says 'sent from iPhone'

As for 3 weeks vs 3 months, I'll find out for sure at 6 weeks when I see my consultant - I'm happy to take it easy until then :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

Oh I'm so very sorry you fractured your hip in February. So 4 months post op you had to go back into surgery AGAIN to get this all fixed? So you had your second surgery in Feb 2014? that should make you now about 6 weeks post op. Now that makes sense. . .I hope you heal well.
 
Just dropping in to let you know I could not add or change my signature on my iPhone. I added my date but it did not show up. I had to add it on my desktop pc. If you don't have one ask a moderator to add it for you!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Nobody at my hospital told me not to lay on my front, either. Maybe they thought it was implicit in the instruction to sleep on my back? I so hope you are doing better now.
Peace and love to you.

I'm wondering if it depends on what kind of surgery was done? Anterior, posterior etc? I know I was told firmly "Do not sleep on my stomach for at lest 6-8 weeks" from my PT and it had it listed on my PT paperwork that is just printed off of some website "No sleeping on stomach for the first 3 months after surgery". I even asked my surgeon about this and he has always been more strict than what my PT has told me. I'm sure the reason for them being so "picky" was that my surgeon didn't want to be sued if I did happen to do something (lay on my side, without my abduction pillow or lay on my belly) . . . .but I had posterior so may be that is why I was told so much to "not" do so much.

I'm quiet shocked that several people have not been warned to not lay on their belly, wouldn't a doctor share this vital information? But then again, before my surgery I was a nervous wreck reading just about everything I could get my hands on about the recovery of a THR. I knew almost 3/4 of the info that I needed to know before going into surgery since I read so much online - and I worked myself up by going on line and reading.
 
I had lateral posterior and my PT actually put me on my stomach at 4 1/2 weeks post op to show me exercises to do and then sent me home with some to continue doing on my stomach at home. I did not get any instructions saying I should not lay on my stomach.
 
Hopefully I've managed to successfully change my signature (sorry for the confusion)

Yes, I feel that I've had my fill of bad luck & therefore it's no wonder I'm paranoid by the slightest ache & pain. I do appreciate your comments & reassurance though.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Michelle1976, I think sometimes our idea of take it slow is still not quite gently enough for our poor hips- and especially for you after all you've been through...
Iam over 3 months and still do too much (I think)
Have you physiotherapy help and someone you can ask detailed questions?
It might help if someone could pinpoint the actual activity/movements that are causing your hurt...easier said than done however
With best wishes, thinking of you
Gill

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
I'm wondering if it depends on what kind of surgery was done? Anterior, posterior etc? I know I was told firmly "Do not sleep on my stomach for at lest 6-8 weeks" from my PT and it had it listed on my PT paperwork that is just printed off of some website "No sleeping on stomach for the first 3 months after surgery".
It's quite simple really and nothing to do with approach or anything like that. There's actually nothing wrong in itself of laying on your stomach. The hazard is that in turning onto your stomach and back again, in both cases you internally rotate your leg and THAT is the big 'no-no'! Hips get dislocated doing that. At least in the early weeks.
 
Michelle....you're entitled to wonder about those odd little pains that pop up. You've been through a LOT!!! When you have a concern, just post about it here and we'll help sort it out. You'll need to tell us where the pain is, what brings it on and what (if anything) makes it better. That's what we're here for, hon!!!
 
I think you are doing great @Michelle1976 and Jamieis right you have been through a lot.

Be careful and try to use those crutches....I know it's hard...

When and where is your trip to.....sorry if I've missed this
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom