Guest viewing is limited

THR Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Michelle1976
Your thread caught my attention, as we were born the same year. So sorry to hear that you have had so much trouble. You are in my thoughts and prayers. :angel:
 
so sorry @Michelle1976 . sounds so horrible and painful and disappointing. do you know how this happened? doesn't sound like it could be from sleeping on your stomach. hope it all goes quickly and gets resolved in the best way. thinking of you. devorah
 
Thanks again everyone.
@dickinson - the dislocation in November was due to me sleeping on my front, this fracture though has nothing to do with that (I don't think), but we don't actually know what's caused it --- all I'm told is that fractures like these are usually caused by trauma (a fall or something), but I just woke up with it :-0 makes me wonder what exactly I do in my sleep ---- first a dislocation & now a fracture!
 
Today's update - I can't quite believe this, but they wanted to discharge me today (with a broken hip!) - they said I will be ok as long as I'm 'no weight bearing'!! As I say, I can't quite believe it! It would seem the Consultant here doesn't want to do anything (because it wasn't his original work) - I can understand this, but don't discharge me - transport me / transfer me to the hospital that did me hip replacement in October!! I'm not happy! I've managed to put the discharge off today & tomorrow I will be giving them my thoughts on the matter. My friends & family are in uproar over it!
Rant over ~
 
Oh my goodness!! What a quandary for you Michelle - I don't really know what to say but I sincerely hope it works out for you.... I don't blame your friends and family one iota either - I personally think it is totally unprofessional to do that to you.
 
Thanks everyone!
I've now got a copy of a letter which has been faxed to my Consultant at the original hospital --- in it, it mentions a fracture which is 'non union' ... Does anyone know what that means?
[Bonesmart.org] Day 1
 
Holy moly, that's bordering onto cruel, wanting to send someone home like that !

Who has a perfect set up home to handle zero weight bearring restriction ?!

Something I had to do in Hospital when I got a foolish answer from a nurse, I held my cell phone up with the video recording and asked her to 'say that again' it came out quit differently then! Lol
 
Hi Michelle. I've just caught up with your thread after being away from Bonesmart for a few weeks. I really feel for you. At last an answer, but oh no, more surgery! I can't believe they want you to go home after you've had so much trouble. I'm glad your friends and family are going into battle for you too, I'm hoping for a speedy resolution. Best wishes!
 
@Michelle1976 . I too feel very sorry about your terrible experience. There is really nothing else I can say except that I wish for your to get well again.
 
how awfully challenging. I can only wish you luck in dealing with everything. it's such a drag when not only do you have to handle your medical situation, but also deal with less than sympathetic staff. glad you have a 'staff' of your own . so sorry.
 
Thanks again everyone! I'm managing to stand my ground right now because it's the weekend & not many people to argue against, but come Monday I think they'll want me out!!
I'm hoping by then my original surgeon will accept me at his hospital.
Only added upset is I miss my children terribly, but I'm no use to them in this state anyway :-(
Thanks once again xx
 
Hi @Michelle1976 a Peri prosthetic Nonunion may indicate that the bone has been broken for some time and is not healing. Because of the complex nature of this area of orthopedics, choosing a surgeon with experience with this type of issue is important, especially given your past history.

I have tagged @Josephine for further comment. Keep us updated please - sending hugs from down under xx
 
Thanks - I thought it might have meant that it wasn't healing :-(
I appreciate that x
 
"non-union" means this: when a bone is healed doctors speak of it being united. Bone union is a process whereby new bone cells are generated that knit (or unite) the broken ends of the bone together. Hence when healing is completed, we speak of the fracture as being united. A non-union, therefore, is when that healing process either doesn't take place or fails to complete its job. There are several varieties of this term. A 'mal-union' is when the fracture site is misplaced in some way and a 'delayed union' is when healing starts but fails to complete the process.

To heal correctly, the bone ends have to be fresh and with a goodly blood supple and in a good alignment to one another. If these points are not in place and/or there is soft tissue between the bone ends, then the bone ends may start to heal over on their own and produce what is known as a false joint or pseudarthrosis (the ancient Greek term for it). If this is present for a prolonged period of time, it required surgical intervention in the form of scraping the abnormal bone healing off the bone ends and applying a bone graft to stimulate the production so fresh, infant bone cells.

So, if you are still with me - it's likely that the fracture in your femur has been there for some time, anything over 4 months, and needs to be attended to. It all depends where to fracture is - do you know this at all? If can tell me this I can expand upon my little tutorial!
 
Wow @Josephine - you are a mine of information - fantastic, it all makes sense! As for prolonged period - I had the new hip in October, it dislocated in November & they've already compared the November X-ray to these latest X-rays & the fracture is new since November (that's still 3+ months though).
The fracture is high on my femur ... Really quite close to where the head/ball/socket if the hip is!
Tomorrow I'm hoping to hear from the original surgeon & I'll take it from there.
Thanks again for your time & information x
 
Right - so this is a peri-prosthetic fracture? That makes sense. In this case, the usual procedure is to do a revision of the entire femoral component using a longer stem to fix the fracture internally and putting cables and/or a plate around the outside to fix it externally. It ends up looking something like this

[Bonesmart.org] Day 1
[Bonesmart.org] Day 1


The cup may or may not need to be touched depending upon what devices are available to the surgeon.
 
Wowsers!! Those X-rays are quite something!!!
Would the recovery time for something like this be similar to the THR?
Well it's just after midnight here now, & I'm nervously waiting some sort of communication in the morning from my surgeon. Fingers crossed he makes a decision & deals with it quickly - I need to be up & about by May (I hope that's realistic!)
Thanks again, you're so, so helpful xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom