Guest viewing is limited

THR Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Michelle, how are you doing? I hope your pain has settled a bit, it's awful those first few weeks and months, especially after what you've been through. Any different or new pain can give you a bit of a fright. I'm glad to hear the X-Ray looked good, that's always a relief.
 
Hi everyone!
Thanks once again for your support.
I'm now 2 months post op, & just back from a beautiful family break in Portugal. I took my crutches & used them only when I knew we'd be walking anything more than 5-10 mins. It was fine, enjoyed the break even though it was frustrating that I was still taking it so easy & that of an evening I was aching.
I really was beginning to think that 'this was my life', I'm forever going to have a major limp, I'm always going to have aches & pains, & maybe even always have crutches to hand for if I need them! However, yesterday was a turning point, I took my kids to the park, but the amazing thing is, I didn't even consider my hip --- I must have been totally pain free when I decided to go, I didn't take crutches & only gave my hip a thought after about 10 mins walking!!! That's great, it means (in my mind) I'm recovering, & maybe, just maybe I will fully recover from this!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Really great news to hear Michelle! I am happy for you!
 
@Michelle1976 I am so glad to hear this! I look forward to the day when I forget about my hip ! I'm so encouraged by your post!


Mercy1
THR 5May14
 
Hi!
Two & a half months post op & I want to share something (I think is strange, but wondered if anyone else can relate) ... I'm feeling pretty good in the day - still limping, but fine. I ache on the evening (fine), but in bed ... I just can't get comfy, & by morning I'm in pain. I get up, & after 5 mins if being mobile again I feel better!! Why do I feel worse when I'm resting? Doesn't make sense to me?!?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
So glad things are starting to turn around for you. You have been through a lot @Michelle1976
 
hi @Michelle1976 . glad things are going well. as for the problem of pain in the morning. probably you should ask @Josephine because I'm not sure it's the same as her answer to why it hurts after sitting. which a lot of people have mentioned lately. her answer to me about that was that it's the pain of the wound and not the hip and could take a year to go away. but maybe what you're describing is different. worth asking. otherwise, keep up the good work!
 
I ache on the evening (fine), but in bed ... I just can't get comfy, & by morning I'm in pain. I get up, & after 5mins of being mobile again I feel better!! Why do I feel worse when I'm resting? Doesn't make sense to me?!?
It makes perfect sense!

But first let me ask you some questions - and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Day 1
)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)
 
@Michelle1976 I know Jo will be able to help you immensely, but one thing that jumped right out at me reading your thread is your mentions about limping. I didn't read the entire thread (plz forgive) but I did get an idea that you've had some complications. I just wonder whether you've maybe gone off your walking aids way too early - stressing muscles and soft tissue before they're sufficiently healed - and if that accounts for the pain your experiencing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi – time seems to be flying by, and I have to apologise for the lack of posting. I see Josephine sent a message asking various questions based on my aching in the morning after a nights rest. I will answer those questions in a moment, just wanted to ask another question first though.

I’m not sure where to post this question, or even if this is the right forum to ask – but since we’re all friends ....

Quick reminder of my history: Age 38, various hip operations, including 3 replacements, 1 resurfacing, 5 dislocations, and 2 fractures!

My last hip replacement was 1st April, and because of the number of replacements and dislocations, the operation was a little more complex and included a much longer femur. I’ve found recovery a lot longer and harder, and in fact 3 months on, and I’m still struggling. I can walk unaided, but my limp is very profound, and the aching on the evening is tough – it’s aches so much I require painkillers every night to enable my muscles to slowly relax before I can comfortably lie down to sleep, also I’m still achy in the morning (again more painkillers help first thing!)

So, my question (for all my UK friends), what do you think my chances are of getting a disabled badge? I work, and I’m therefore not after any monetary benefit, just a blue badge to enable me to park closer to places when I go out and about. I know having a hip replacement on it’s own probably doesn’t warrant a blue badge, but as I say, this recovery is long, and actually, my consultant has pointed out that ‘walking’ is about as good as things are going to get for me ... so a) he doesn’t know if I will ever fully recover from this, b) he’s just glad that I’m walking, that’s great he said!

What are everyone’s thoughts? I’m not one for claiming things generally, but I think a blue badge will just help my avoid walking further than I have to, and therefore limit the amount of ache on the evenings.

Thanks for your time & I hope everyone is well (sorry for being a stranger!)

Michelle
 
Now to answer your questions @Josephine – so sorry for the long delay.

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery! )

6-7 (I’d say ‘ache’ rather than pain, but I do have a high pain threshold!)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

I’m now only on Ibuprofen 400mg (x2 morning and 2x night), occasionally I take another two during the day.

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

Not at all, I was told in hospital that it’s not recommended now.

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

Not now, no.

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.,

I’m clearly no athlete, but with two young children I do find I’m on my feet a lot. I probably stand in the kitchen (cooking and cleaning) for about 1 hour a day, I vacuum most days (but only for 15-20 mins), other than that I walk up and down the stairs at home (one flight of 13 steps) several times a day, I’d say at least 10 times a day up & down. With the kids, I do various walking to and from school (I park as close as I can, but it’s still a 10 min walk in the morning, and then the same in the afternoon. I go to the supermarket once a week, and walk up and down the aisles pushing a shopping trolley (about 30-40 mins), I probably do one other activity with the kids on a weekend (visit to the park or something), but requires me to be on my feet a lot … this depends on what and where we go, but I’d say another hour or so on my feet. I do no more than walking, standing, climbing stairs.

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

Only exercises I was told to do is: bum clenches (which I do a lot of … most days, I do them about 5-7 times a day, and I do them for about 1-2 mins. & like a squatting type of exercise (which I do once or twice a day – for about 2-3 mins).
 
Hi @Michelle1976 You have been through so much and you are still in a lot of pain and from what your surgeon said I really think that you should be entitled to a Disabled Parking Badge as it would make your life a little bit easier.There is no harm in trying and I am sure that your GP or OS would be willing to support your application with a letter.I hope that you are successful.I also wish you all the luck in the world with your continued recovery and I really hope and pray that there is a lot more improvement for you to come.
 
6-7 (I’d say ‘ache’ rather than pain, but I do have a high pain threshold!)
A pain score of 6-7 is not an ache!
I’m now only on Ibuprofen 400mg (x2 morning and 2x night), occasionally I take another two during the day.
I have NO idea why people use this ghastly stuff for pain relief! It's not an analgesic it's an anti-inflammatory. Besides which, it's ot exactly friendly to the human body! Medications: NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers. You'd be much better off taking 2 paracetamol 3-4 times a day.
Not at all, I was told in hospital that it ice not recommended now.
What nonsense! Ice is nature's best pain killer! Use it!
I’m clearly no athlete, but with two young children I do find I’m on my feet a lot. I probably stand in the kitchen (cooking and cleaning) for about 1 hour a day, I vacuum most days (but only for 15-20 mins), other than that I walk up and down the stairs at home (one flight of 13 steps) several times a day, I’d say at least 10 times a day up & down. With the kids, I do various walking to and from school (I park as close as I can, but it’s still a 10min walk in the morning, and then the same in the afternoon. I go to the supermarket once a week, and walk up and down the aisles pushing a shopping trolley (about 30-40mins), I probably do one other activity with the kids on a weekend (visit to the park or something), but requires me to be on my feet a lot … this depends on what and where we go, but I’d say another hour or so on my feet. I do no more than walking, standing, climbing stairs.
That's quite a schedule!
Only exercises I was told to do is: bum clenches (which I do a lot of … most days, I do them about 5-7 times a day, and I do them for about 1-2 mins. & like a squatting type of exercise (which I do once or twice a day – for about 2-3 mins).
Well, I can see your problem! First of all, you're only 14 weeks out form a complicated revision. In normal situations, fractures can take around 12-16 weeks to properly heal and become pain free. You've had a THR on top of that and possibly some extra hardware along with it, right? That all takes extra time to heal.

And then there's the medication - a pain score of 6-7 needs more than ibuprofen to manage it. Try the paracetamol and if that doesn't get that scream down to a more reasonable 2-3, then you must try something stronger, maybe otc co-codamol which is 500mg paracetamol with 8mg codeine - take two 3-4 times a day. It's a good combo.

Assuming you've been doing this schedule with the children from early days, it's little wonder you have lingering pain. I doubt there is not much change you can make to all that now though. One thing I would suggest is that when you do your shopping, a) use one of the store's electric carts and b) if you're doing a big shop, ask for an employee to to accompany you round with a trolley. They will also help you load your car if you want. All the big stores provide that service - make use of it.

As for the squats, stop them. They are the most punishing of exercises and may be responsible for around 50% of your pain.
 
Wow, thank you so much Josephine - a lot if what you say makes sense. I'll digest & put some changes in place - thanks again, I really appreciate it x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Michelle, sorry you still have so much pain. I'm sure Josephine's suggestions will help.
Have you thought of internet shopping for groceries? I found it very helpful.
As for a blue badge I think definitely worth a try- I think ask your GP.
Good luck and let us know how you get on. Hope your pain is lessening :)
Gill
Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
@Michelle1976 do hope you manage to sort the pain out.....notice that you say you can walk without aids but limp badly....and have a bad ache.....perhaps using even one crutch until that limp goes and the muscles don't ache might help...I had to do that until 6 months and now...one limp and no aches !!
You mentioned a Blue Disabled Badge......I managed to get one after my THR......partly because of that but mainly because I have severe back problems (discetomy /decompression) which means I have limited flexibility/ movement plus another bad hip and could not get in or out of the car if someone parked too close. At Xmas I went out in the car on my own to get hubby a present & someone parked too close for me to get in drivers seat and had to wait half an journey until they came back.
You now have to apply via the Local Council Offices ( google Blue Badge) and get a Form to fill in....giving full details of your disability, doctors, surgeons, physios details. I then was called into their offices for an assessment by a physio who then awarded me the Blue Badge. It is not done by the doctors anymore. It seems to me after all you have been through that you may be able to get one....no harm in applying but make sure when you fill it in you put the details of your worst case scenario in terms of how you can get around in daily terms. Hope that helps! Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny - thank you so much for your response, I did apply for my Blue Badge, and was pleasantly surprised I was deemed fit (or should that be unfit) to have one! So, I have a blue badge ... I've had it a couple of weeks, and I've used it twice ... I feel a little guilty using it tbh - why is that? Having said which, I will only use it when I absolutely have to ... I'm certainly not one for abusing the system. So grateful to have one though, it has helped already, and I'm sure it's going to come in handy in the future.
I'm feeling OK, although I still ache and still limp quite badly ... I've come to terms with this probably being the norm for me now :-(, but I'm getting about (slowly), and trying not to let it effect me ... I'm even camping this weekend ... still not convinced it was the best idea I've ever had, but it's a festival that my kids will LOVE, and it's all paid for, so I'm going. I've told the organisers of my situation, and I do have a disabled space, which means I can pitch my tent right next to my car - worst case scenario, I'll sleep in the car!! The weekend itself will involve a lot of walking (which I'm not relishing), but I'm taking my crutches, and if things get too bad, I can rest it, without having to ruin the weekend as such.
I hope everyone reading this is OK, and making the most of what they have .... I've learned to do so, I'm far from perfect, but, there are plenty worse than me, so I'm just thankful for what I do have, and what I can do.
 
Glad you hot your blue badge @Michelle1976. You don't get them easily issued now so. I wouldn't feel bad about using it at all! I'm using mine whenever I can....so great to have the room to get out of the car.
A camping trip sounds like great fun with your little ones.....hope it all goes well. Hope you get some sleep!
You are not 6 months post op yet and there is still pain & stiffness....I do hope it will get better for you after all you have gone through....you have the tight attitude!! Life is for living, sadly, sometimes it's not perfect is it. I'm struggling with knee pain & the forever back pain but making the most of not having hip pain. Take care...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom