THR Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully I've managed to successfully change my signature (sorry for the confusion)

Yes, I feel that I've had my fill of bad luck & therefore it's no wonder I'm paranoid by the slightest ache & pain. I do appreciate your comments & reassurance though.
nt from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
Hi. Has it really been over a week since my last post? Time flies. Well, course of anti biotics complete & scar healed nicely. No soreness now, & it's looking really good.
However, as I alluded to in my last update, I started using my crutches less & less around the house, & I seem to have got into the habit of having a day of hardly using them at all, & then really aching & regret having done so much without the crutches, so the next day, I stick with the partial weight bearing instructions & that seems to help me recover from the aches, but the next day I do too much again. It's a pattern that on my good days I like, but when I'm aching I worry!! I do think (despite what my Consultant says) that I need to build a little muscle, & the only way I'm going to do that is by using it (a little).
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

@Michelle1976, I just read your signature. . you had a THR in 2000 . .you must have been about 25 or 24 years old. Then you had another one in Oct 2013 after several dislocations and then a fracture and your most recent one was this April - just 4 weeks ago. WOW! You have been through a lot! Kudos for you for posting on here. Give yourself a lot of credit. . .for pushing on through. You are resilient and a trooper. Please make sure you take the pain meds if you need them.

I see that you are moving forward with recovery. I know when I was trying to move from walker to cane - I remember having slightly more pain in my groin since I wasn't used to using that muscle in between my legs on the right side. When I moved from a cane to walking with no aid - boy did my groin hurt really bad. I thought I was overdoing it.

I was told from my PT that this was "normal" since I was "guarding" my hip (by not putting so much weight on it when I walked). In my case - I had a big fear of my hip popping out if I put ANY weight on it and I was told 1,000 times that my hip would not pop out - I had this fear even at 8 week and 11 weeks post op. I didn't understand the science that my hip would actually stay in the socket. I guess it is all in the mind.

After about 2-3 weeks with walking with no cane (by this time I was 14-16 weeks post op) - It seems that my groin pain slowly started to dissipate. It goes back to "if you don't use it you lose it" and my muscles were screaming "Ouch that hurts" since I wasn't using them due to so much guarding. But it took me a long long time to trust my hip - to hold me up and bear 100% on it.

As with all of us, everyone's journey is different. You know what you need more than any doctor or any of us. I read another comment that said something like "let us know where your pain is". That is important since others have been on this journey before and can tell you what that pain is associated with. I have gotten so much information from this site (from the forums and other users) it is amazing. I hope you continue to get better. Update us with a picture later on. . .perhaps on the badges of honor thread for 2014. I have mine up in 2013.
 
Hello again everyone.
I appreciate your comments & support - that's what's so great about BoneSmart!
Firstly, I'm still having one day of aches & then one day of TOTAL rest (which seems to stop the aches & it feels great), then I go & do too much, & the cycle starts again, one day of aches! BUT I would describe it as aches (not pain!) so I'm still feeling positive.
As for Anterior/Posterior --- how do I know what I've had? Would it only be the surgeon that could tell me?
Whilst on the subject if not knowing, this is going to sound really bad, but although I know I have arthritis, I always get asked if it's Osteo or Rheumatoid -- I have no idea!!!
Someone asked about physio - I'm not receiving any at the moment (my surgeon is being really cautious with me & has actually asked me to stay partial weight bearing on crutches for the time being --- during this time he doesn't want me to do much at all - bum clenches is about all I can do!!
Finally, someone asked where I'm going on holiday. I'm going to Portugal (from the UK), so the flight is only 3 hours (that's classed as a short haul flight)
Thanks again everyone x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Michelle1976 Just to clarify what you asked about posterior or anterior, it all depends on where the incision is. Is it on the front of the thigh(anterior) the side of the hip(antero-lateral) or the back of the hip(posterior). Osteoarthritis can affect all joints but the most affected joints are the hips, knees, spine and feet. You can identify rheumatoid arthritis by the symmetrical (both hands or ankles) swelling pattern of smaller joints like the hands, ankles, knuckles and elbows. Rheumatoid arthritis can also affect small joints and body organs but osteoarthritis only affects the body joints and is usually not on both sides(asymmetrical). Hope that helps a little and hope you feel better day by day.
 
Hey, Michelle! I am LTHR on April 7, so just a little ahead of you. If you want to talk about anything, please do so!!
 
Have a great vacation michelle. Glad to hear things are looking up. At last.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks once again!
So based on that great information (thanks mystikfairy61), it seems I have osteo arthritis & have had an antero-lateral replacement (the wound is straight down the side - that's right isn't it?
Hi Waterman1 - I'm exactly one week ahead of you --- how are you getting on? I'll have a look now to see if I can find your story x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Michelle is one week ahead of me and my PT just made his last visit today, saying I am good if this right hip wasn't letting me down now. Anyway, I am an ex pro athlete, 59 yrs. old, still very active CG Captain, passionate freediver, and cattle/hay farmer. I let this hip problem get so bad that I was seeing the doc by wheelchair, it was just too far to walk, too much pain and I just kept putting off each surgery. I think my incision is fully healed now, and it is a posterior lateral incision. Taking pain meds at night only, finally learning how to lay on my back to sleep. So tell me how you are doing, please...
 
I don't know if you've seen my history, but it's been a long and weary one! This was my third full replacement & due to the fracture last time, my consultant is really cautious. He's asked me to stay on crutches for what seems like ages. I have started making a few steps (4-6) without my crutches though & {fingers crossed it feels quite good).
I'm not in pain as such, but I do ache when I do too much.
I'm totally off the pain meds now, & I have started sleeping on my side (with a pillow between my legs)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Wow, the fractures and dislocations. I would like to hear more if you feel like expanding on the causes. You are probably like me, and I don't do what I am told like the rules don't apply here. I believe it is time for you to pay attention to your consultant and be cautious, please! I miss sleeping on my side...
 
I don't mind telling you about it at all.
Firstly, both myself & the professionals believe that the problems came following two pregnancies & two natural births (particularly my second 2 years ago). There's no way of proving this, but, I had my original hip about 15 years ago (& lived a full & pain free life following that hip replacement). Then, during my last month of my second pregnancy I had my first (horrible) experience of dislocation. On this occasion in sheer panic I found myself rolling around on the floor, & some how managed to 'pop it back' myself.
From then on though, I experienced another 4 (I think) dislocations, all of which more painful than words can describe (one time I actually passed out with the pain) each of these dislocations required an ambulance to A&E & GA to have it put back!
Then it was decided that another new hip might be the answer (that's when I had my 2nd replacement in October) unfortunately, during the recovery, whilst sleeping on my stomach (which I will never do again), it dislocated again - I was devastated! Anyway I was advised that this was purely down to my sleeping position & that I was still in recovery. So by January (2.5 months following THR) I felt good & was enjoying life once again. Then in March ... discomfort, just like that, no fall/trip/trauma - after a few days, the discomfort became painful. I saw my consultant & he advised I go back on my crutches & that I had 'over done it' I stayed on the crutches for just over a week, but I knew that it was more serious than 'over doing it' - so I went to A& E & they confirmed the worst - it had fractured :-(
I had a few weeks in hospital, a few weeks practically bed bound at home, & then my latest THR on the 1st of April - I'm now taking things easy & hoping that's the last of my bad luck & operations for a long time. As for dislocations, my consultant thinks it's all secure & not liable to dislocate, however, it's a constant fear - the pain it just tremendous!!





Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Wow, thanks so much for writing. And I thought selfishly that I am enduring pain lately. Compared to your journey, I have no clue what pain is. You let me know of anything you need, OK. Thanks for listening to my problems, and I appreciate yours much better now. Hope you are having a good hip day...
 
Ah that's very kind. Pain is pain, it's not good regardless of severity.
I hope you too have a good hip day, weeks, month, & many happy years x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I'm sorry for having a down moment. I'm generally known for being quite cheery & positive, but hey, surely after all the cr*p I've been through, I'm entitled to feel down sometimes.
I've posted a few times recently that I'm having alternate good & bad days. I seem to do too much one day & feel the effects the following day, & then take it easy for a day. Well, I've been in a little discomfort for two days now, & I've come to bed tonight (still in discomfort (dispute resting today & yesterday)) & now my mind is racing. What if something has gone wrong? I'm seeing my consultant Thursday & I'm having another total rest day tomorrow. If after tomorrow's rest day I'm still feeling like this, I will be convinced something is wrong, & if that's the case I'm going to be devastated beyond words (I'm filling up just typing these words!) I've got plans ... my daughters 5th birthday party, a holiday abroad, not to mention the fact I've been off work since the start of March & my pay will halve at the end of this month!
I'm just so fed up right now, I don't know where to turn!
Sorry once again for bringing to mood down :-(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Happy Mother's Day! Don't turn anywhere, march on as you have done so well. Remember, the glass is half full my lady and you will be OK. We can relate to one thing, my hip is killing me and so is yours and we must deal with it in the most positive ways we know...
 
Hi Michelle.I am so sorry that you have been through so much and are feeling down.I hope the pain that you are currently experiencing decreases very soon.I assume that you are still taking your painkillers as it is still early days for you.At least you don't have long to wait until you see your OS.We are all here for you during your down times and I really, really hope you feel better in the morning.
 
Hi Kim. My emotions are all over the place. I've rested all day (currently lying in bed!) & it feels ok, but then I'll got to fetch something (using my crutches), & for the most part it still feels ok, then wham I get a pain in my groin & I fear the worst again.
There's only one thing for it & that is to rest totally until Thursday & wait to hear what my Consultant says then {fingers crossed there's nothing untoward!)
Thanks for asking - I was a mess last night when posting, just can't bear the thought if more setbacks!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Michelle The groin pain may be just related to your soft tissues from doing a bit too much previously but you are doing the best thing in resting until you see your surgeon on Thursday.Have you tried ice along with the painkillers It can't do any harm.
 
Sorry for delay in updating. It's good news. X-ray looking good, aches & pains Cons said was to be expected for all that I've been through, then summarised: hip replacement October, dislocation November, fracture March, hip replacement April --- for almost all of March & April I was non weight bearing!!!
So, he's said he's happy for me to gradually come off the crutches, & to expect a few aches & pains. He happy for me to only do a few short walks for now, doesn't want me to do any strenuous exercise!
Other news, he took my details (keeping my identity unknown) as a case study for some hip council conference in Barcelona recently. The outcome from it was that they all thought me Consultant had do e exactly the right thing. They couldn't offer any advice on what to do if this goes wrong though ... better hope it doesn't go wrong eh??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Michelle, glad you had good news to post. You just need to not work so hard during recovery.
Your case is very interesting, and notable that the surgeons group discussed and are in agreement.
Continued best wishes on recovery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom