Guest viewing is limited

THR Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone!
@Kim22 - I'm meeting with my consultant again at the end of Feb, and don't worry, I'm going armed with 101 questions!
@Jaycey & @Vetgirl - thanks both, yes I will insist on seeing my actual consultant ... you're right, I need answers, and he's going to be the best person to give them.
@AlanInAZ & @javajunkie - regarding sleeping on your front ... I'm sure we should all just follow what we've been told, however, having a little look around (and following what happened to me), here's what I've found...
https://www.leonmeadmd.com/sleeping-positions-after-a-hip-replacement/
"
Stomach
You should not sleep on your stomach when you are recovering from hip replacement. This almost guarantees that you would turn your leg outward or twist at the hip, which would put you in danger of dislocation. Ask your surgeon to find out how long you need to wait before sleeping on your stomach, but it is recommended that you avoid this for at least six weeks.
"
It is worth baring in mind ... I know I don't want to do it again and be woken by that awful experience/pain in the middle of the night!

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for your well wishes, it does mean a lot, because, as you can imagine with what I've been through, I have been feeling a little low at times.

Michelle x
 
My OS, who I think is fairly conservative, wanted me to only sleep on my back for the first six weeks - and I did it! My usual was a mix of back and one side or the other with lots of restless turning due to leg hurting. But post op, I stayed on my back and now pretty used to it. Now past 6 weeks, I do some turning to the side, but not as comfortable yet. I would try to stick to your back - keeps the legs aligned correctly for those hours, seems like a good idea. I kept a pillow between them too, per his instructions.
 
I still sleep on my back, as my OS instructed. I have never actually gotten to where I'm totally comfortable on my back, though, but I'm still afraid to sleep on my sides.

Peace and love to you.
 
Hi Michelle, How frustrating for you. Do let us know how it goes with your surgeon. Maybe it would be worth phoning the hospital before the end of feb to ensure you get on his appointment list for that day. I think it's only fair that you should see him, with all the problems you have had. Best wishes, Michelle.
 
Yes best of luck with the surgeon x
 
Thanks everyone & sorry for the lack of contact AGAIN!

Today went well - all is fine :-) The pain I've been experiencing since Monday (you didn't know that did you?) is muscle pain & prob down to doing too much - apparently I should still be taking it easy!!
Also, the regular 'near dislocations' I'm getting seem to suggest that it's trying to dislocate to the front (which is good) he said that it means the position is good & that when I'm ready to build my muscles again, the muscles will keep it in place! Previously it's dislocated to the back & there's not much they can do about that!
So I'm feeling more positive :-)
 
I'm still in agony :-( I really do hope it's not something more sinister & it is just 'overdoing' it .... problem us, I've rested & it seems to be getting worse. If I'm moving around (although it's starts off very painful), the more I move, the less painful it is. However once I stop (even just for 10 mins) I struggle so badly to get moving again :-((((
 
Hmmmm....maybe it's stiffness? Not really sure what to suggest. No good resting if its actually abbreviating it???

Try and avoid things that hurt....sorry I'm not much help!!!!
 
I am so sorry that you are having so much pain Michelle. Have you spoken with your doctor? It is so disheartening when we have ongoing complications.
 
hi @Michelle1976 . sounds like you're having a rough time. so sorry. what are "near dislocations"? I sure hope your dr has answers (and solutions) for you.
 
Hi & thank you all for your kind words.
@dickinson – ‘near dislocations’ are where I bend/twist, and get that ‘clunking’ feeling where the hip starts to move out of place, I manage to quickly move back to the original position and prevent it for actually dislocating.... I’ve experienced a fair few dislocations, and they are not pleasant, I’m so scared of it happening again!
I’m still in pain, but I’m back on crutches ‘trying’ to take it easy ... I’m pinning all my hopes on it being muscle problems, and that rest will help, however, once I get my physio appointment (which I’m hoping for in a few weeks), I’m going to speak to them about it ... I’m hoping physiotherapists will be able to identify if it’s something more than muscular pain, and if it is muscular, then they should tell me how best to overcome it. Otherwise, I’ll be back to the hospital speaking to my consultant.
Thanks again,
Michelle
 
so @Michelle1976 . have you seen the specialist? and why do you have to wait so long for PT?
hope things are getting better.
 
:-( unfortunately the pain over the weekend has been unbearable, so I've decided it's a trip to A&E in the morning ... at least I'll get another x-Ray & a second opinion on what it is - I'm really not convinced it's cause is overdoing it (I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect it is so much more - fracture or something!)
:-(
So A&E tomorrow, I'll let you know more then --- honestly, the pain is ridiculous, I cannot walk without an aid at all at the mo (& resting only makes me stiffen up & more painful!!)
Oh woe is me, when will this all end???
 
Righty, A&E yesterday proved what I thought - FRACTURE!!!
It just goes to show, we know our bodies better than anyone - I should have trusted my instincts 2 weeks ago & said to my Consultant that I thought it was so much more than a case of 'overdoing it'!
Anyway, it is what it is now. I had several X-ray's yesterday & was given a bed on a ward. Today I've had a CR scan (they're hoping that shows them a little clearer what's happened) from the X-ray's yesterday, they think it's gone right the way through, from one side if the femur to the other. It quite high up too (close to the ball/socket/head), so one option (& as of yesterday the most likely) is to totally replace AGAIN! Apparently this fracture will have made the whole hip unstable, so replacement would be advisable. However, it all depends on what today's CT scan shows.
I'll see the Consultant tomorrow morning & hopefully he will have made a decision about what to do!
By the way I'm not in the same hospital the did my replacement (the hospital that did my replacement spent have an A&E department), so, there's also a chance that I'll be moved back to the original hospital to fix it - I don't have a preference, but my original Consultant might want to carry on with my care. - just another minor complication !!!!
When will this nightmare end for me? It's one thing after another :-(
 
@Michelle1976 I'm so sorry this has happened to you! I have no words of wisdom, only sympathy and good wishes that 'they' get this cleared up for you once and for all. Great good luck to you - you've suffered way too much.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Day 1
@Michelle1976. At least you now know what the problem is, and it can be fixed. But it is a real bummer and I feel your anguish. Hang in there----you are not alone, we are here for you.
 
@Michelle1976 I feel so bad for you right now.
I hope you hear a definitive plan tomorrow when you meet with the OS.
Good luck ; and Hugs!
 
Hi @Michelle1976 I am so sorry that you are going through this after all you have already been through but now they know what is causing your pain they can get on and get it fixed.Very interesting that you knew what the problem was and were proved right.As you said we know our bodies better than anyone.Thinking about you and wishing you lots of luck.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom