Guest viewing is limited

THR Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharonslp - thank you so much for your time & detailed reply - I really appreciate it!

I have to say, I'm prob doing a little too much too soon, because it does hurt a little when I walk unaided & I am limping. So I'm thinking that's a sign it's too early. Once again I appreciate your response.

Oh & I wholeheartedly agree with what you said about not comparing - good advice once again x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
when you guys say "day one"....do you mean day one AFTER the surgery?

at my hospital in Scotland NO ONE was allowed up on the day of their surgery and had to stay in bed all day long with an oxygen mask and paper mache pee thingy for company
 
Hi Michelle1976. I was on crutches for 6 weeks!!!! A pain in the butt.....oh I literally have that too. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Seriously, I still take something for up the shops or out ....for support with heaps of people around and to warn people to take care. On the way home today we got out of the car to get some lunch and I had no support and they were doing work on the pavement and then a lady nearly hit me with a pram....I got really nervous. I put my hand out to steer the pram I case it hit me and the woman just glared at me!!!!!

So take your time especially with those young kids of yours!!!!
 
Thanks again everyone & yes the sticks are good at letting people know that things aren't quite as good as you'd expect!

I'm no where near ready to venture out without my sticks, but I have to say the few paces I'm taking in the house unaided is giving me great confidence - I'm going from strength to strength :-)

Now then, the burning question - when can I drive? I already drive an automatic car (& since it's my left hip I've had replaced, that doesn't actually do anything) - what are people's thoughts?

I was 3 weeks post op yesterday (still early days I know!)

Once again, I really appreciate everyone's responses & this forum - it's a godsend!!

M x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
when you guys say "day one"....do you mean day one AFTER the surgery?

at my hospital in Scotland NO ONE was allowed up on the day of their surgery
ochaye Then your hospital is a tad behind the times! Most forward thinking units have their patients out of bed about 6 hours after return to the ward if a morning case and first thing the next morning if an afternoon one.
 
Hi again, I can't believe I'm posting this, but just four & a half weeks post op, I find myself in A&E :-(
Please be reminded the reason for my hip replacement (second one), was to 'hopefully' prevent hip dislocation!!
Friday night (in bed in the middle of the night) my hip dislocated... Yes in the middle if the night, whilst I was sleeping - quite unbelievable!!!
Apparently (I wish I knew this before) lying on your front is a big no-no!! That's what I was doing(!)
I should have had it put back in by now, however the pain meds they gave me, made me quite ill, so they didn't want to risk me being sick during GA!!
Hopefully I'm first on this list for the morning (my hip will have been dislocated for more than 24 hours!!!
:-( not happy :-(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
OMG! Michelle! I am so sorry! Let us know how you are doing! I would not have known that was a restriction either. Again...I am so sorry this happened to you.
 
Hi Michelle1976, here are some other articles for you to read.. :)

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery
 
The hip has been put back & I'm now in traction until I get the Derby Brace!
No idea really how it all went (still waiting to speak to someone), but apparently all good. I'm in traction & then I'll be in a derby brace --- I think they're worried about the hip popping straight back out again :-0


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Good to hear Michelle. Maybe Josephine will have some insight. I am still in shock that you dislocated from lying on your stomach. I have been lying on my stomach with my leg propped up on a pillow since my first night home from the hospital. I tossed and turned continuously because I could never get comfortable. I hope you are feeling OK and that your pain is minimal.
 
Apparently (I wish I knew this before) lying on your front is a big no-no!!
*sucks teeth*! :no-fin: Funnily enough, I was working on a passage for my book about dislocation and positions not to use - this was one of them. Creates a significant degree of external rotation which is what pops the head our.

[Bonesmart.org] Day 1


Hope you're feeling better by now, Michelle. Which hospital/surgeon do you have?
 
I'm still in shock that this has happened. I'm grateful for the posts & for my friends & family - everyone is running around for me sorting things out, helping with the kids & supporting me!!
As for my position in bed - let this be a warning to you all - I would hate for this to happen to a fellow post hip-op patient.
I'm in Birmingham, England. I'm currently in Good Hope Hospital, (that's the closest A&E), but my consultant is at the Royal Orthopedic Hospital (Mr Ravel (not sure of the spelling))
I'm not looking forward to my next appointment with him, I'm sure he's going to be more than a little disappointed!!!
Anyway, thanks again for your posts & support x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
If anyone is interested, I have posted a picture of my dislocated hip on the 'badge if honour' thread


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Wow Michelle! Sure hope this does the trick. I can't recall ever being warned about lying on my stomach...although the only time I ever attempt it is when I get a massage, and my legs don't do that bending rotation that Jo's picture shows. But you've been through the mill on this.....really hope the problem is fixed once and for all.

Sharon
 
Hi Michelle I am so sorry to hear about your dislocated hip.I hope they have sorted you out and you can get back to recovery very quickly.I can't remember being warned against sleeping on my front either.I am nearly eight months and I have just started to try it as it was always my preferred sleeping position and a physio I saw recently advised me to try it to stretch out the hip flexors.
 
That picture that Jo posted is how I sleep every night except I put a pillow under my knee. Granted I switch positions often, but I always come back to this. Michelle I am glad everyone is rallying to help you. <3
 
Wow Michelle1976 I saw your x-ray and had to come over to your thread to see what happen. I am in shock as well. I was never told I couldn't lay on my front, in fact my PT showed me how to roll over onto my front with a pillow between my legs and then putting the pillow under my pelvis to help support the back. The only difference is that I kept my legs straight. I think she showed me at 5 weeks. Tomorrow I will be at 10 weeks out.

I hope you are not in too much pain and I hope they get stable and back on the road to recovery.
 
Hi Michelle so sorry to hear about your setback sounds such bad lunch for it to dislocate in your sleep. Wish you all the best in your recovery from today.
 
Hi Michelle, I'm shocked to hear of your dislocation. But like many people I don't recall being told either, but could have not taken any notice as I never sleep in this position anyway.

I really hope you are feeling much more comfortable now. I checked out your X-ray, Ouch!

Best wishes, thinking of you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks everyone. I'm back home & I'm in bed (got the Derby Brace on), but I'm still petrified of falling asleep & somehow managing to roll over again & dislocate :-(
My other fear is that I just don't sleep at all because if my fear of dislocation :-0
Argh!!! So frustrated!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom