Guest viewing is limited

THR Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very glad that you are home. Did your doctors have any idea as to why this happened?
 
Yes, it's pure & simple ... I was lying on my front! A big no, no following hip surgery!
Please let that be a lesson to us all - I would hate for someone else to dislocate in this way (just because they didn't know the consequences on lying on your front).
I'm meeting with my Consultant again next Thursday & I'm hoping to understand a little more then ... I'm still frightened that he'll say that now I've dislocated once, I'm prone to it happening again ... this will be the most devastating news, because the only reason I had the 2nd replacement was to prevent further dislocation :-0 it all seems like a waste of time right now!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Oh Michelle1976 I am so sorry hon, I can imagine your state of anxiety and frustrated feeling.. I am going to tag Josephine

Let us know what your consultant has to say, I hope he is able to provide answers and reassurance.

Stick with us, we are going to support you through this... Hugs from down under xx
 
Yes, it's pure & simple ... I was lying on my front! A big no, no following hip surgery! Please let that be a lesson to us all - I would hate for someone else to dislocate in this way (just because they didn't know the consequences on lying on your front).
As a rule, it's usually part of the post-op restrictions.
 
Nobody at my hospital told me not to lay on my front, either. Maybe they thought it was implicit in the instruction to sleep on my back? My long-time chiropractor, who called me to see how I was doing, DID tell me not to try to lay on my front, and to absolutely obey the instruction to sleep on my back until the surgeon told me it was OK to sleep in other positions.

I so hope you are doing better now.

Peace and love to you.
 
Thanks once again everyone!
I thought I'd update you all following my appointment yesterday.
I'm somewhat disappointed actually. I've been told to adhere strictly to the precautions (no bending, twisting etc. & NO LYING ON MY STOMACH!!!) for 4-6 months!!!
They're not recommending physio (they just want me to rest!) then, once all the scar tissue etc has healed (they think the dislocation will have ruined any healing that had previously happened) then they will start introducing light exercise!
In the meantime, they've asked me to keep the derby brace on - to serve as a reminder that I shouldn't be doing too much.
Finally (this is the most disappointing), I've had confirmation that the new hip is fractionally smaller than the previous hip, therefore it is more likely to dislocate!! Very, very annoying since the reason for the replacement was to prevent further dislocations :-((((
Sorry for rambling!!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
That is so disappointing. Why did they put in a smaller hip? Was it a mistake on their part? I am just so sorry you have to go through all of this. Getting a hip replacement is hard enough without additional complications. :(
 
Sorry you are going through the mill......I was told only sleep on my back for 3 months....also on my 8 week check up tha they put a smaller 36 cm prosthesis in , instead of 50 cm because of small pelvis.... Did not say was more liable to dislocate. ..hope not. Thinking of you and wishing you well xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Oh Michelle1976 how disappointing, frustrating and stressful this is for you... Stay with us grasshopper, we are going to help you through this.. It is hard to keep looking forward when you are so disappointed .. Special hugs from down under xx
 
Hi Michelle1976 I am so sorry that that you have gone through all this but really hoping that your recovery starts now.Thinking about you.
 
Very disappointing news for you, did they say why they put in a smaller hip? Did your hip dislocate before you had it replaced?
I really hope your recovery is better this time.
 
I am so sorry for the long, long, absence ... unfortunately (because this is such a good forum), I think once you’ve had the support of the group prior to the op, and then once you’ve told your story post op, you kind of get on with your life. I am sorry though, because I really want to offer support to others going through this.
However, here I am, with a recap of my story (unfortunately it’s not a good one!)
Op was OK, was a little sick after, and felt like it took a wee while longer than I wanted/hoped/expected to get on my feet again etc. Anyway, at home recovery (although slow) was progressing well, until at about week 5 into recover, in the middle of the night (whilst lying on my front (yes I know that this is a big no, no), my hip dislocated. Please bear in mind, the reason for my second replacement of the same hip was to prevent dislocation (of which I’d had several), so you can imagine how upset I was to suffer yet another dislocation so soon after having an op to prevent it. Anyway, I gave everyone the benefit of the doubt, and put it down to sleeping on my front, and it being so soon after my op (still during recovery). My consultant then said that it would be another 6 weeks (full recovery) starting from that moment ... so back to day 1 basically. Anyway, it is nearly 4 months since my original operation (8th October), and although I’m totally recovered (i.e. getting about driving, working etc.), I am still more than a little paranoid about my hip dislocating in the night, and therefore I wear a brace still, and to be honest, I don’t know when I will ever be confident enough not to wear it at night – I’m such a fidget, I feel sure I will roll onto my stomach without realising, and then the consequence of that ‘could’ be yet another dislocation!
Anyway, more annoying than that, is that when I went to see my consultant a couple of months ago (not long after the dislocation), I didn’t see my actual consultant, but his second in command, and he basically told me that the hip they took out was bigger than the new one I’ve had put in, so the chances of dislocation are higher – can you imagine how annoyed I am? The whole reason (for me) for this op, was to prevent further dislocation, and now it seems the hospital are happy that they’ve eradicated the possible problem of metal on metal, but the whole dislocation issue is bigger than ever!!
Sorry for the long post, but I felt I needed to rant a little.
Thanks for reading,
Michelle
PS – I’ll try and read some of the other posts now & catch up.
 
Hi @Michelle1976 Welcome back and it sounds like you have made a very good recovery despite the dislocation.Did the registrar say why they decided to use the smaller implant ?
 
Wow Michelle, you've had quite a harrowing recovery.
Thanks for posting your story, it does help others; especially about knowing all the restrictions and what
can happen. Hugs
 
@Michelle1976 - if it were me I would insist on a consultation with your actual surgeon - not his second in command. You have every right to speak to him and get to the bottom of this.

I had the same experience after my spinal surgery. The Registrar basically told me my situation was gloom and doom - that I would never be able to do anything strenuous again. I demanded to speak my surgeon as he had never said there would be restrictions for life. Sure enough, the registrar had it all wrong. Just for your own peace of mind, I would make an appointment ASAP.
 
@Michelle1976 I'm so sorry for all you have been through and are continuing to deal with on your road to recovery. I can only imagine how frustrating this all must be for you! :( I want to thank you so much for sharing your story and encourage you to keep pushing on and seeking answers from your Orthopedic surgeon. I cannot imagine dealing with the anxiety of dislocation on a daily basis from here on out... I'll be thinking of you and checking back to see your updates.

I was unaware of the restriction of not sleeping on your belly. While I did not sleep that way immediately following my THR, I sleep that way now and have been for months. I do tend to straighten the leg out and lay it flat from time to time as the night goes on, but I usually have my knee bent & raised a bit. Now I am wondering if I should rethink my sleeping position. The thing is... That is the position my body go into when I am ready to sleep. It will be hard to change at this point...
 
@javajunkie

My surgery was direct anterior approach and the surgeon told me the day after the surgery I that could sleep on my stomach that night. He did ask that I put a pillow between my legs if I slept on my side. I don't think sleeping on the stomach it is a problem for you but you can call the surgeon's office if you are concerned.
 
Oh how very very disappointing for you @Michelle1976

I am glad that your recovery has gone well otherwise.

Please demand to speak to the surgeon....it is your right!!!!

I was never told not to lie on my front...In fact in rehab they had me lie on my tummy to do an exercise 5-6 weeks after surgery
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom