Guest viewing is limited

THR Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! My kids are young 4 & 22 months!
I am on painkillers & still drinking plenty - thanks.

What am I today? Oh 7 days :-))) just incredibly stiff today (especially in the knee area!!) trying my best to keep it moving before it stiffens totally :-(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Wow! Loads of really useful reading there Josephine
Thank you so much!
There's nothing on lowering a high heart rate, however, I'm beginning to think I'm just 'different' having this complication - it isn't necessarily as a consequence of having my hip replaced!
The balance I'm finding hard to judge, too much exercise vs not enough. I'm scared one minute doing too much, then an hour later, I'm wondering if I'm not doing enough. It's still early days, I'm still keeping on top of all pain relief, so I'm at the moment I'd rather do too little than too much :-&
Anyway, thank you once again. I do love this forum x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
That's because a high heart rate is quite a common issue and usually settles down eventually on its own. I think the key to yours might be the comment "I'm scared one minute doing too much". Try not to obsesses about too much/too little. You're only 10 days out and don't need to be doing much of anything yet awhile. Read the articles - there's one in there about Activity Progression which should help you. I've spelled it all out in there step by step, day by day.
 
Hi Michelle1976 Your children are very young so you must be so pleased to have a supportive mum and partner to look after them during your recovery.Josephine is so right when she advises you not to do much of anything at the moment as the important thing at this stage is to get enough rest.I am glad that you are keeping on top of the pain relief which is also important. Great to hear that you are dong so well.
 
Agreed. For the first two weeks I did not do too much of anything except walking back and forth to the bathroom, kitchen etc. I only did the bed exercises from the hospital. I let my pain be my guide. I really could not have done any more because of pain. The little walks were plenty for me.
 
Ah thanks again everyone - I really do appreciate it. Feel happier about not doing too much right now too :-)))


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Feeling loads better about recovery. It still feels slow to me, but I'm definitely finding it easier to move around day by day. I've just got to keep reminding myself what a major operation it was & that things will take time.
Apart from that, I hope you don't mind me mentioning 'constipation' --- boy oh boy, I've never suffered constipation before, but last night, I did (a bad case of it IMO) wow, I was a long time 'trying' & my family were downstairs concerned something had happened! The occasional shout of 'are you alright?' & me just snapping 'yes'
Well, since then I've taken a few medicines to help in that department & I hope not to go through that ever again!!!
I hope my fellow post hip op 'ers are doing well.
Michelle x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Michelle1976 Please don't keep making new threads for your recovery. We prefer all your recovery reports to be kept to the one thread if you don't mind. Just like your hospital notes! :wink: I also think your thread could do with the different title! Let me know what you would like and I'll do it for you.

Oh did we not mention stool softeners? Obviously very necessary when you're taking pain meds, I expect you are on codeine which is a class act when it comes to constipation! We have a Library article on it Constipation and stool softeners.
 
Oops - makes sense - sorry!
Please re title 'Michelle's recovery'
Many thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Michelle1976 My computer (or this website) is being silly - chopped off most of my last post and now won't let me edit it either! I did say blame the pain meds for everything bad that happens, I can't do that now unless paracetamol addles the brain :) ! There was a lot of chat on here earlier this year about the benefits of prune juice to help digestive problems but I found "lactulose" stool softener from our local chemist worked well.
Look after yourself
Anne
 
Thanks NannieAnnie - I've got senna tablets & lactoluse(?) syrup to help with 'that' problem & since my episode I have been taking them, it's not been effective yet, but I'm hoping it will be soon :-))
Thanks again.

Well tomorrow is 2 weeks since my operation ---- & I'm having my clips out :-) can't wait, I think that will (in my mind) be one step closer to full recovery. The wound is so itchy now, but I'm sure having the clips out will solve that :-)))


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
It's day 15 today & I'd be interested to know what people think/have been told about sleeping on their side?
I tried it for the first time a couple of nights ago (rolled into my good side with a large pillow between my legs), & it was comfortable, but I was scarred I was doing something wrong, so I rolled back again!
Last night I did it again, but I fell fast asleep & before I knew it, I'd been in that position for several hours!! I'm really annoyed with myself because I'm not sure it's allowed!! I feel ok (although I think it's left me with a tiny ache in the back - I'm sure I'll walk that off this morning!!) just wanted to know what others have Ben told (especially UK hippies!) xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
If you sleep on your side with a pillow between your legs you should be fine Michelle. You don't want that top leg to drop to the bed - that's violating your restrictions. You may not be able to sleep on your op side for awhile - it usually can't take any pressure for the first few months.
 
Thanks! I have taken to sleeping on my side for 2-3 hours a night now (pillow between legs!), & it's the best few hours I get --- I'm still slightly worried I shouldn't be, but that's clearly something in my head, & I occasionally get a bad back after sleeping on my side, but just to get that few hours if sleep is a godsend right now! Thank you x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Michelle1976. Yay to the sleeping :yay: sleep is the best :yay:

I still find it hard to sleep on my scar but if I angle it to take the pressure from it I can do it for a little while.

It's sounds like you are going great
 
Ooh Vetgirl - I can't sleep on the 'bad' side (luckily that's not the side I sleep on anyway!), but I am more & more comfortable sleeping on the other side.

I can't believe it's still only 3 weeks tomorrow - feels like a lot longer, but, I have to say I'm feeling a lot happier about progress now. I'm even walking (3-4 paces) without sticks! I haven't been told I can walk without sticks, but I assume that's ok!?

Anyway, I'm feeling good - I'll feel even better when I can start getting out & about - might even get prepared for Christmas before returning to work :-)))

I hope everyone else is ok x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Michelle, unless your surgeon gave you instructions otherwise, you stop using walking aids when your body signals that it's ready. Those signals could be:

1. You get up and walk a little ways and suddenly realize that you forgot to use your walker/cane/crutch/whatever. And you did just fine. Did it hurt? No. Did you limp? No. Now you spend a day or two doing short distances in your house unaided. Then you try a bit longer distance outside. Keep the aid close by in case, but you gradually increase your distances and see how it goes.

2. You consciously try a short distance in the house unaided, and it feels fine. Same as #1.

The goal is to walk with a normal gait. If you still limp, then you still need your walking aid a bit longer. If you have pain, that tends to cause the limp, so you still need your walking aid a bit longer. Also, as you go further away from home, keep in mind that fatigue can set in quite abruptly. You don't want to be a quarter of a mile from home and have to limp all the way back in pain. So start small (like your 3-4 steps) and lengthen that a little bit each day.

And for anyone else reading this and comparing.....please don't compare! There are many variables involved in when you give up walking aids. Some of us do it in a month or less. Some of us take several months. For some... it can be even longer. There is no "normal." There is only YOUR normal.

Sharon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom