THR Damn glad that's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My update: Not really sure what to make of some of the news. Let me start with the great news: x-rays show no femur fracture and all hardware is perfectly placed. Yay! That was such a huge relief. I was getting really worried about it. He believes the pain is coming from a couple of things, some residual pain from all the "extra" manipulation and work he did while in there and some deep muscle spasms as a result of being non weightbearing all these weeks. So, no PT for 1 week, muscle relaxers as needed and heat to see if I can get some relief.

As to the outer thigh pain, he had 2 educated guesses. Given the hyper-sensitivity of the area, he believes that it is one of two things, both of which he is taking a wait and see approach. First guess, it is an edema, possible a clot of some sort, so he extended my injections for another 2 weeks just in case. The other guess he made was a severe paresthesis (sp?). He did not speculate as to how long I could expect it to last, but will look further into when I see him in 3 weeks, sooner if the pain intensifies.

He is keeping me on non-weightbearing for one more week. Still not allowed to do any abduction at all. I can move to 50% wb on December 7th for 1 week, then 1 crutch for an additional week to 10 days, then a cane as I am comfortable. His plans are to have me up and walking normally by Christmas. Merry Christmas to me. Once I am at 50% wb, I am to start outpatient PT. Oh joy!

So there it is in a nutshell.

Tammy
 
Hi Tammy
​
I feel for you. Years ago I had hip surgery and was unable to weight bear for 6 months...was sent home with crutches and a built-up shoe and no PT. Ah the good old days. So I know how hard it is not to put pressure on the leg. I've just had the hip finally replaced, same time as you. I am 50 percent weight bearing for 6 weeks now because of a fracture during surgery. After 2 weeks I was referred to out patient physio and on her instructions (I live in Canada) was also asked to do 5 leg raises with weights, 3 times a day. I have also been religiously doing what she said and because I have stayed in and rested since the surgery, and taken pain meds as ordered, I could do them easily. Three days ago, I experienced similar thigh pain to you, albeit in a different place. I suspected the leg raises so stopped them and used heat. I am already feeling better. So far this has been a rollercoaster...good days, bad days. Bad days usually coming when I sit at a table too long or don't rest enough. I can imagine how frustrating it must be when you have kids at home and need to eventually go back to work. I am lucky to be an empty nester with an understanding husband who is a great cook etc. Please believe me when I say it will get better. After 5 hip surgeries, I always forget, like the pain of childbirth!​

You have been through a lot and deserve a break. I hope you feel better soon.
 
Glad, no really bad news, does the doc think the parethesis is from a clot or due to the surgery,Your Warrior hipsters were all waiting for your repot, glad you will be alright I think you will be on a cane before me
 
So no real bad news, but no quick fix either. I was also afraid you were going to hear that you had a fracture or something had slipped, so that is a relief.
I'm so sorry this recovery hasn't been as easy as you deserve. Hang in there, warrior; things will get better. And in the meantime, you can hang out with your BS buddies. We were all so worried about you.
 
bellaroma
Maybe because my fracture wasn't wired. I was surprised that I could do so much, except abduction. Hope you're doing well.
 
Thanks y'all. Beth, the doctor didn't really say...kind of presented it as an either or. At least that was my interpretation of the conversation. I too am surprised to see that Vida is doing straight leg raises with a fracture. Well girls, you know what this means.....another BS warrior woman!

No quick fixes and no real suggestions as to how to deal with the outer thigh pain. Go figure! More of the "hurry up and wait" approach that we all know and love.

It will be my pleasure to continue to hang out withmy BS buddies.

Tammy
 
I have attached a picture of my x-ray from today. Now you guys will get to know me inside and out :)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!
    Hip (531x800).jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 181
Phew! Well,glad to hear that it is not a fracture or something serious. Sorry to hear it is not going to be something that resolves quickly.
OTOH, It does give you more time to perfect your crutch warrior skills. :wink:

Your X-ray looks really nice!
 
Tammy,

Well it's good news that all the hardware is secure and there are no fractures. And at this point it becomes process of elimination. With no PT for the week it will be interesting to sse how much could have been aggrevating things. It was an interesting take on the possible clot and swelling (edema). Did they do any bloodwork to check for irregularities? It is also positive that he is considering the paresthesia (nerve irritation). The worst part of the latter is that if it is the case it is nearly impossible to know how long it will take to resolve itself. Better news is that there are some things that can be employed to ease the pain that I hope they try sooner rather than later. Starting with the musle relaxer is a good first step but finding one that works effectively can be a challenge. If it does boil down to nerve issues there are several options available (gabapentin, neurontin, nerve blocks and radio frequency neurotomy).

Even better news is that he's keeping to the original phasing into weightbearing. I know then you'll feel like you have more control of your recovery. Every warrior deserves to be in control of their own fate! BS Warriors Unite!!

Let's hope that every day gets better and better from this point further!!
 
Tammy, I'm sorry he couldn't do anything about the pain, but glad your appt went well otherwise! It is so strange, the wide variety of therapies and treatment regiments there are for the same surgery!

They had me doing straight leg raises on day 2.....hurt like hell, but I did them. By about the 4th day, I could do them with only minimal discomfort. The heel slides were the easiest for me. Different bodies, different muscular structure I guess.
 
Hey Tammy, hope you're feeling a lot more positive now and not stressing as much.
 
Thanks all. It is great to know that it is nothing really serious. I am hoping that with time will come the end of the outer thigh pain. Your words of encouragement are a balm on my heart. I am so glad to have found this forum, but more specifically, each of you.

Tammy
 
Aw, shucks:blush: We all appreciate you, too!
How was your day today?
 
Today has been a pretty good day overall. Went into the office for about a half day today. Got in about 6:30 (late for me) and left about noon. Picked a fantastic time to leave as about 5 minutes later an electrical fire broke out in one of the air conditioning vents in a classroom (yes, we are still using A/C down here during the day). I have completely caught up on all of my emails, and other correspondance. Yay!!!! Happy dance going on right now...you just can't see it.

Got to call the home PT agency and FIRE them! Another great feeling. Called the outpatient facility where I rehabed after back surgery last year. The people there are fantastic. They hold a "graduation" celebration when you complete your protocol, complete with a certificate and t-shirt. Can not wait to start there on December 7th.

Deep thigh pain is almost completely gone. The great Josephine was right when she told me to REST. The outer thigh pain and burning has not relented, but if this is the worse it gets, I can handle it.

Hope all my BS warrior buddies are having a great day!

Tammy
 
Sounds like an awesome day for you, nice :egypdance:
 
Sounds good, Tammy. So glad at least one of your pains is nearly gone! Yay! Now your leg nerves need to get their act together and chill out.
 
That sounds a whole lot better, Tammy. I'm not sure whether Josephine would think your going in and working for almost six hours is "rest" but I know what you mean. Rest from doing anything that hurts.
I'm sorry the outer thigh pain has not relented.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom