THR Damn glad that's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darn! I was hoping I would check in today and find your regimen was starting to provide some relief. I agree with Sissy. If the pain is so excruciating that even light fabric sets it off, it might be time for a visit to the ER. This is not a contest of who is the toughest! I hope you find some relief soon! :flwrysmile:
 
Hey Tammy, sending positive thoughts out to you for Tuesday.
 
Tammy, glad you got a few more winks last night. I'm guessing you're not going to ER since you are not bleeding and you are breathing. I think in the 8 years we were in the Navy we might have gone 2-3 times to ER - 2 allergic reactions and another emergent issue. Not sure if you could call tomorrow to see if you can get in earlier than Tues pm. Untill then snuggle with the fuzzy ones and try your best to rest. Thinking of you all the way from the Left Coast! :puppysmooze:
 
Thanks all for the well wishes. Dede, are you sure we haven't met before? It seems that you know me only too well. In fact, about 5 years ago, I suffered from a really bad stomach ache for several days. When, after about 3 days I couldn't take the pain anymore, I asked my husband to take me to the emergency room. We walked in the door with me doubled over and throwing up like crazy. They immediately put me on a stretcher and started an IV. 15 minutes later, my appendix burst and 10 minutes after that I was in emergency surgery. Spent 8 days in there over that bit of stupidity.

I have been resting, icing, and elevating like crazy. The only thing I have done in the last few days other than that is the family took the dogs to the dog park today. I went along for the ride and sat on a bench with my leg elevated and my ice pack firmly in place and watched the pups play and play. Soaked up a little sun and enjoyed the almost fresh air... it was the dog park so you know what I was smelling from time to time.

It seems the resting is helping with the deep and radiating thigh pain. It seems to have eased up a bit. It does not seem to bother me as much when I am just sitting or lying. It really gets to me when I am trying to move the leg up like when you do a heel slide. The outer thigh burning and pain is still with me. It now feels like I have the worst sunburn of my life and someone just slapped the **** out of it. Weird! I will be calling the doctor first thing in the morning to see if I can get in any earlier than Tuesday afternoon.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Tammy
 
Tammy, I echo Sissy, have you called a nurse or doctor? Two more days is alot with the level of pain your in. We can't take our hipster security international if you are not up to snuff
 
How was your night, Tammy?
Let us know what the doc says, okay? Tell him there are bone smarties all over the world worried about you, and he'd better fix it, or BoneSmart Squad International will be on his case and it won't be pretty:hissy:
 
Happy 3 Week Anniversary to my Hip!

Ok girls...called the office this morning. The doctor has his surgery day today, so no office hours. His nurse has said they could get me in a bit earlier tomorrow, but we all know how that will go. I will end up waiting twice as long to see him because they are working me into the schedule. So, I will keep my 3:00 pm appointment and see what happens.

PT came by this afternoon, he suggested that I try a sunburn cream like Aloe with Lidocaine on the thigh to see if it provides some relief. Oooookkkkkay...got nothing to lose, so I will give it a whirl in a bit and let you all know how it turns out. Then he asked me to do a straight leg raise...shouldn't have done that. The deep thigh pain is back! At least now I know what is causing the pain. All I did was 1 and that was enough to know. That was it. Told the PT "that's it! No more."

As for taking our show on the road internationally, y'all have nothing to worry about. I am developing some mammoth muscles in my arms from using my weapons....I mean, my crutches for the last 3 weeks. I am becoming frekishly strong :thumb:.

Tammy
 
I am sure the sunburn cream will work wonders:rolleyes:

What is the big deal about getting us to do straight leg raises so soon after surgery? I couldn't do them, they hurt so bad and I refused to try because I didn't see how anything that hurt that bad was going to be beneficial. A few weeks later, I could do them without pain.

Good luck with the doc tomorrow.
 
It seems every OS has their own protocol. Some don't seem to have any and it's up to the PT. Mine would have me doing straight leg raises 6-12 weeks post op. I'm approaching 8 weeks now and its still not on my schedule, but I got a bit behind with my appointments. In fact I can easily do them with no discomfort, but haven't been instructed yet, so I don't. However, I am doing the abductor exercise lying on my side and raising the operated leg, which I find much harder than straight leg raises. Tomorrow I'll probably get more exercises, a couple of days before seeing my OS.
 
Yeah, so the sunburn cream didn't do a darn thing for me. You were right to roll your eyes Sissy. I didn't think it would work either, but I didn't have anything to lose. Lesson learned.

Not sure what the rush is OldYellr. I was only home from the hospital 1 day when the home health PT was asking me to do them. He then suggested doing them with a 2-1/2 pound ankle weight on. I am convinced that this is what caused my thigh pain. Thanks to Josephine and Poppet's advice, I quit doing them.

I did manage to get into my office for a half day today. I just sat behind my desk for about 4 hours (with plenty of standing up to stretch) and started plowing through as many of the more than 500 emails that have accumulated in my absence. Daughter came and picked me up (friend drove me there) and we picked up some lunch on the way home. Quick lunch, visit from the PT and then a 2 hour nap. Up now catching up on my fellow warriors and icing. Looking forward to finding some relief at my appointment tomorrow.

Have a great evening y'all.

Tammy
 
Tammy,

You should be fast asleep by now (or at least trying). Hope you get some zzzz's and feel rested in the morning. I look forard to hear how your appointment goes. Sendiing restful and healing vibes your way.

My director actually forbade me from even checking my email while I was out. He wanted me to focus on healing and coming back good as new. He would have had a litter if kittens if he got wind that my supervisor offered to bring me a laptop since I haven't been in my home office since before surgery. There's plenty of time to.get caught back up. Luckily I'm scheduled back the week between Xmas and New Years.
 
Sleep will be a long time coming tonight unfortunately. After trying to do the straight leg raises for the therapist, that deep thigh pain is back with a vengence. At least I know what causes it. Won't be doing another one of those for any reason for a long while.

The pain was bad enough, I broke out the percocet again. The problem is that whenever I take it, it makes me a bit antsy and falling asleep is out of the question. After lying in bed for over 2 hours, I finally gave up. So I crutched my way into the living room with my furry posse hot on my trail. So here I am, checking on my Bone Smart peeps and watching reruns of Friends. Oh well! At least I am having some quiet time (if you don't count two of the dogs snoring like crazy).

My boss (both old and new) have been great about my absence. Neither one of them have pressured me in any way about being out. Prior to my surgery, I worked a lot of hours to prepare and get ahead of things. My absence was very well planned. I just needed to get out of the house and do something "productive" today. While I answered a couple hundred emails from home, there were some that I couldn't respond to without some data from my office. Besides, I really missed my kids and my faculty. I am a very lucky woman. I have a job that I love and one where I have fun every day.

I remember that you said that worked in the capacity of data reporting to the state agency. I understood your explanation and realized that you do something very similar to one of the departments we have within our district. I work in the 8th largest school district in the U.S. We have over 275 schools with 198,000 students. Therefore, we have an entire department devoted to making sure that the information in our data base gets reported accurately for funding purposes. Boy are those folks busy.

Hope you have a restful night.
Tammy
 
Hi Tammy - well, I guess it is good that you know what is causing the pain, but I am so sorry that it is back so badly! I wonder if you have strained one of your deep muscles?

Interesting the varying PT or lack thereof. My doctor only wants walking and maybe walking in the pool or light flutter kicking for the first six weeks, then if I want/need special PT to go for it. Like Sissy there is no way I could have done a straight leg raise for about the first two weeks. Of course with the anterior method, it felt like the front of my leg had been beaten with a bat. No way I was going to try to lift it unassisted. Now, I think I could do it no problem.

I sure hope your doc can help you find some relief from the pain! Good luck tomorrow! ( well really, later today, since I am having a touch of insomnia as well) :yawn:
 
Update us Tammy, I am keen to hear the outcome from your OS appointment.
 
Tammy, I think your pt needs a whack off side the head for trying to get you to do the leg raises with the pain your in, and you deserve a slight cuff to the head for doing them. I am glad that you won't do them anymore and will be anxious to hear how your appointment went. I guess 1 good thing about having my femur fractured is that I am not allowed to do leg raises
 
nerdgrrl I really don't see the point of straight leg raises at all. No matter which approach has been done, everything in that area has been cut or stretched aside, cauterized or sutured, exposed to the air, etc.---strengthening can wait, IMHO, and if for flexibility it seems the same would be accomplished with heel slides. I do have to say, both my hospital PT and my home health PT agreed I shouldn't do them if it hurt too much; they didn't push me.

If I'd known you girls were up half the night, I'd have checked in to chat; I also had a bad night and I'm being lazy today.

Tammy's appointment is at 3. Fingers crossed; waiting to hear.
 
Something I was told once regarding physical therapy, if a particular exercise hurt too much. Ask the therapist the following: "This exercise really causes me excessive pain; is there an alternative exercise that will help accomplish the same goal?" Can't hurt to ask, and a good PT should be able to specify another activity that will give you some of the benefits without overstressing the object muscles.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom