Guest viewing is limited

THR Damn glad that's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all. I had another relatively sleepless night. I seem to be able to lay down in bed for about an hour and then become wide awake all of a sudden. The good news is I am catching up on all the movies I wanted to watch. The thigh pain is really starting to get on my nerves. I have stopped all PT exercises as of now and will continue to do so until I see the surgeon again on Tuesday. The better news is I only have 5 more injections to go.

Josephine, a poor choice in words. My apologies. Thank you for the suggestion. I will be sure to mention it to my surgeon. See the comment above. ALL I am doing now is resting, icing and elevating. Have stayed in my pajamas since Thanksgiving night. However, in spite of this, the thigh is becoming progessively more painful. I can not seem to find a comfortable position for it.

Poppet, I love your analogy about recovery being like surfing. I can envision that I have fallen off the surf board and it has just clonked me on the head. Your calculations are correct. I am 19 days post-op. Feel worse now then I did one week ago. On a positive note, my incision looks fantastic and provides me with little to no discomfort.

sissy46, thank you for the concern. I will keep on keeping on. If I have learned nothing else through life's experience I have learned that "stuff happens." This too shall pass. I am not letting it depress me....only reinforce my determination that things will get better soon. When my leg is totally still, I am in LESS PAIN than I was before surgery, so this is something to be celebrated :happydance:.

So...on today's agenda:

1. Use restroom as needed
2. Watch more movies
3. Ice
4. Elevate
5. Rest
6. Put on clean pajamas
7. Hang out on Bone Smart and check on my peeps
8. Take my pain meds as prescribed

Tomorrows agenda:

Repeat steps 1-7 as listed above.

Tammy
 
Tammy, I was also going to suggest the rolling pin. I tend to have tight IT band issues and rolling it really helps, although you have to be really gentle at first. My main pain spot tends to be higher up, closer to the hip. It may be that you need to get it to calm down a bit before doing the rolling. I hope your deep pain is just referred from the ITB, and not something more serious.

bellaroma, you have/had acromegaly? So did my mom. She has MEN-1 which is a rare genetic disorder (so far I don't seem to have it), which led to the acromegaly by causing a benign pituitary tumor, that overstimulated growth hormone. She also is a survivor of a very rare skin cancer (merkel cell carcinoma). We keep telling her she is lucky in the wrong way.
 
Hi Tammy

I would suggest you don't use the rolling pin just yet, see your OS first and get a diagnosis of your thigh pain.. Good luck with the appointment :)
 
So Tammy, what movies are you watching? Do you get Netflix? This might be a good time to do a marathon of any series that you have missed: Mad Men, Dexter, Downton Abbey, Revenge, The Good Wife, True Blood. If you like the old west and don't mind some really crude language, Deadwood is a masterpiece. Did you ever watch Six Feet Under? I did a marathon with all 5 seasons of it, and wept like a fool at the ending.
 
Poppet, I was going to wait for the rolling pin only in that I can not stand to even touch my leg even with the most lightest of touches. Tried wearing long pajama pants and just the little bit of pressure caused by the fabric touching my thigh was excruciating. I am back to wearing my boxer's. I will certainly let you know what the surgeon says. My appointment is scheduled for 3:00 pm on Tuesday afternoon. So hopefully, I will have some more definitive answers.

Thanks Nerdgrrl for your suggestions and concerns for me. I truly appreciate your compassion. As I have stated in an earlier post, I am doing NOTHING but resting now in hopes of getting some kind of relief. So far, no luck. It doesn't seem to matter what I try, nothing is providing me with the least bit of relief. I looked up the IT band syndrome and the accompanying graphics of where it is. My IT band doesn't "feel" tight and the pain is just above the knee (about 1-2 inches above it). It extends up about 6 inches or so but stops before my incision. It seems to get worse with time. I can't imagine what it is. The pain that I feel deep in my thigh seems to be centered on the femur with some radiating pain down to the inside of my knee. Both are worrying me.

It is hard not to get a bit discouraged as I feel I was making excellent progress in spite of the restrictions. This feels like a huge setback for me. But I will overcome this!

Tammy
 
Good regimen, Tammy. Except you missed one - pain meds!
 
Hi Sissy, so far I have watched the first two seasons of the Walking Dead. I love that show and eagerly look forward to each new episode on Sunday nights. I have watched the first 4 movies in the Twilight Saga. Additionally, I have watched some varied titles such as: The Amazing Spiderman, The Watch, The Expendables 2, The Core, and countless episodes of Friends. I have all 10 seasons of that on DVD. Luckily, we have an extensive DVD library. We got in the habit of having family movie night when the kids were growing up. Since it was so much cheaper to just buy the movie outright and make our own popcorn, we would just go to (and still do) WalMart on Tuesdays and pick up the new releases for about $14. Then we would hang out on Friday nights and do it up right. I literally have 100's of movies that I haven't seen yet, but have in my collection. I kept up this practice even when the kids grew up and left home. So, no shortage of entertainment here.

Tammy
 
Whoopsie! Josephine is right....my bad! A simple oversight. I have updated my regimen to reflect pain meds. Not to worry as I am taking them like clockwork. Not helping too much, but it sure beats the alternative.
 
Hi Tammy

Just checking in and sorry to hear you are having problems [Task 1 ] problems time to go and speak to someone either your GP or your OS, you are close to completing your third week in recovery and are still at an early stage. I'm sure you have read this but everyone heals differently but it could be reasuring that this may be only a teeting problem and to hear this from your OS.
I would follow your care plan and rest for the next seven days if there is no sign of improvement go and see your OS.

Billy
 
Thanks Billy. My list contains items that I can do all on my own. I am not having any bathroom issues at all. The plumbing is all fine :) Can you explain to me what a teeting problem is? I am not familiar with that term. Is it a Scottish thing? I appreciate your looking in on me and am delighted with any feedback or suggestions you might have for me.

Tammy
 
Sorry Tammy

More british than scottish, teething more an ache you have to get seen to and if I ever talk about her indoors that's the wife.:wink:, will pop in again once i get the decorating done for her indoors :loll:
 
Tammy,

Just checkng in to see how you're doing. I so want you to feel better. Will be counting down for Tuesday hoping it hurries up and gets here. Now's the time for the spinning cartoon clock!!


I'm going to go back through your thread, but I can't remember why you had to go non-weightbearing..I guess each surgeon has their preferred protocol. I suppose with the different approaches they work around/through different muscles, hence the differing healing of said muscles. I'm going to also review the library too. Inquiring minds want to know...

Sending you endless resting and healing vibes friend.
:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks all. I get it now Billy. Thanks for the clarification.

Dede, the doctor imposed the non-weightbearing restriction due to all the extra work he said he had to do. I had the lateral approach, so that is why he said I was not allowed to do any type of abduction exercises yet. Go figure that he would then order me into an abduction pillow in the hospital.

I can feel those healing vibes all the way here in Florida. Keep 'em coming Dede. I truly appreciate your concern. I am going to pop by your thread and see how you are coming along.

Tammy
 
Hi Tammy! I'm sorry to see that your thigh pain is not getting better! I haven't been on the forum for a couple days, but was hoping you'd have improvement! I pray the doc will be able to give you some kind of relief when you see him Tuesday. You and I are a lot alike as far as not wanting this surgery to slow us down; it seems I've been more fortunate, but I hope things turn around for you soon!!
 
Thank you Suz. I am a bit perturbed as to what I feel is a setback. The thigh pain is driving me nuts. The intense burning on the outside of my leg is always present. I can not find any relief from it. The deep pain I feel in what I think is my femur only rears its ugly head when I move my leg. Heel slides are horribly painful...the pain goes from deep in the middle of my thigh and radiates down to the inside of my knee. Yuck!

Good luck in your endeavor to get your horizontal hula restriction lifted! Yow-za! I will be sending good thoughts your way... and won't expect to see you on BoneSmart on Tuesday evening...tee, hee, hee :giggle:
 
Hi Tammy

'Heel slides are horribly painful...the pain goes from deep in the middle of my thigh and radiates down to the inside of my knee. Yuck!'

I am guessing you have stopped doing them if they cause you pain?

This advice truly goes out to anyone reading Tammy's thread - if it hurts to do it - stop!

Good luck hon :)
 
So sorry, Tammy I hope Tuesday comes quick. I wish I had some wonderful advise that would make it go away, but I can only send thought and prayers.
nerdgrrl, wow you don't meet many folks whoknow about acromegaly, most of my arthritis is a result of having that, I like your mother have good luck within the bad and am surgically cured
 
Tammy, how was your night? I hope you were able to get some rest. How are your pets liking this cold weather? My cats are pitiful; I woke up with one on either side and one on my chest.
 
Poppet, you would have guessed correctly. No more heel slides for me right now. Although every once in awhile I feel the need to bend me knee...even doing this very gently causes pain.

bellaroma, thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I did some looking at acromegaly...you poor thing. Does it feel worse as the weather gets colder? I hope that your hip replacement provides you with some much needed relief.

sissy46, funny how as the weather gets colder, my fur-babies become more codependent. My little frenchie was pressed up against me for most of the night. I got up pretty early this morning and moved out to the living room to lie about in my recliner and there he was wanting up.

Finally got some much needed rest, but had to work at it. I went to bed around 11:00 and read for quite a while. As I felt sleepy, I would put the book down and doze off for a couple of hours. Then, I would be awake again. Instead of just getting up I picked up my kindle again and read untily I was drowsy again. Then, doze some more. Kind of like lather, rinse, repeat. So all told, I probably dozed for almost 6 hours. Yippee!!! I needed that. My friend, the ever-present thigh pain is still there.

Hope everyone has a restful and relaxing Sunday!
Tammy
 
Tammy, Tuesday is still two days away. Have you considered an ER visit? Sunday morning better than later. Just sayin'....I hate your being in so much pain this long.
Glad you got a little rest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom