THR Damn glad that's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tammy, you are doing great, just remember that. It will come and it will come done right, because you won't go back to walking crooked. Did you get new shoes and check the old ones for uneven wear, some shoes I looked at, I couldn't believe the lopsided wear?
 
I didn't get much of a chance to wear my shoes out by compensating. Remember, my demise was pretty quick. I was wearing my crocs a lot prior to surgery as they absorbed the shock of standing on concrete and walking so much. But, I did check the rest of them...no problems there. Although I never need an excuse to buy new shoes. Over the last few years I have purchased a ton of workout sneakers.

Just got home from working a 9 hour day and then a 90 minute PT session. PT added a new activity today. I have to stand between the parallel bars (for safety) and balance on one foot (operated leg)....4 times for as long as I can manage it. A few seconds in to the first one my thigh was quivering and shaking like crazy. She assures me that this activity will develop the strength and the gluteus medius muscle. Easy enough activity to do while I am standing around at lunch duty.

Still in a bit of a mental funk....working through it. Told the PT the "lightbulb" story today and did get a good chuckle out of it.

Looking forward to some record-breaking heat here for the next 5-6 days. I'm sure sissy46 will be out and about as we hit 82+ degrees this week. Local weather man says it is going to be "ridiculously warm" this week. Yay!!!!

Tammy
 
Tammy, just wanted to say how amazing I think you are....you accomplish so much. Very inspirational for a hopefully temporary backslider like me.
 
:iagree:Crossfit Warrior is our Grand Hoo-haw of BoneSmart (international) Warriors.
I don't see how you can even stand up after a 9 hour work day and 90 minute PT session, let alone on one leg, and that the bad one.
 
Hi Tammy,

When you get a little further along in your PT work you might find this exercise helpful. It's a 4 way exercises that will work your ab/adductors and the muscles in the front/back of your leg and buttocks. Wait until your PT teaches it to you and assigns the appropriate theraband.

[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!

One of the things that I found helpful with the adductor/abductor machine when I was early out from my surgery was to use a light enough weight that I could really be mindful about using my THR leg and not just overcompensating with my good leg. It's kind of hard to do the machine that you pictured earlier in your thread with just one leg -- but it can be done if you pull out the peg and make sure that you keep your back flat against the seat and your good leg just resting passively in the leg rest.

Your g. medius will get stronger and will heal more as the months progress -- much of the first year is really so much healing that is going on internally and that we are often not even aware of after a while, but it is still happening. It sounds like you are doing great between your work and PT schedule!! :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Tammy, sounds like you're doing awesome. Think of your PT as the baby steps to getting back to Crossfit. In fact, do you remember how you felt when you either started Crossfit or started doing a new exercise. Pretty much the same - shaky at first or hard to get through the reps. You will get there with flying colors! Kudos to you for puting in full days then going in to PT. :cheers:
 
Oh, you guys have nothing to complain about with the heat... Have you seen Poppet's post about the wildfires in Oz (Social Room)? Last I read she's hanging in their defending the city house and there are concerns about the coastal house, as at this point the roads are closed getting there. I'm certainly glad they went back to their city house as it's curently the safer place to be. Temps are getting to almost 110 and in Central and Western Oz are expected to get to 125!!!!!
 
Thank you everyone for the wonderful words of encouragement and great support. It is truly appreciated. Cardie, those exercises look like they will be of tremendous help...I can't wait to start them. It will have to wait a little while longer as I am still under restrictions for the next 3 weeks.

Today was an interesting day at work. Our school just opened a salad bar for the students. They get their choice of 2 proteins (chicken, turkey, ham, cheese, hard-boiled eggs) and 3 "toppings" and dressing. At the beginning of the first lunch period the line was outrageously long and slow moving. Went back to the kitchen to find out what the problem was. They were short-staffed today due to a nasty flu bug running rampant here. So, I put on the gloves and proceeded to make about 500 salads in a 2 hour period. I stood in one spot and topped salads for the entire 2 hours and had no pain! Couldn't believe it.

Got in to the office at 6:00 am and worked until 5:00 pm. A pretty normal day for me prior to surgery. I drove myself to and from work, so with travel it was about an 11-1/2 hour day and while I am tired, it is a "normal" tired for me. So stamina wise, I can tell that I am really improving. Don't seem to experience any mental fog, etc. while at work.

My students are asking me about when I am going to "break up with Steve." They really can make me laugh. One girl came up to me and said "hey Miss, when are you going to dump that guy? You can do so much better." Since I stand in pretty much the same spots throughout the day, the kids know that in the mornings, I practice on the stairs and in the afternoons and take a walk up the hill and then back down the stairs. During a normal lunch period, I will stand at the bottom of some outdoor steps and practice my sideways step ups on the bottom step. The kids are now counting for me. These kids are the reason I do what I do. With 2 Master's degrees (M.Ed and MBA) and a doctorate degree (DBA), I could do all kinds of things, but I love what I do and can't see myself doing anything else.

Have a great night! PT tomorrow!

Tammy
 
I'm convinced you could do absolutely anything you wanted to---I'm thankful you didn't choose a life of crime:rolleyes:
You're so good with those kids because you know how they think.
Check in on Poppet's social thread. They're having an awful time with the wildfires. Worried about her.
 
I will drop by Poppet's to see how our girl is doing. I worry about her too.
 
Hi Tammy, I hope things are going a little more smoothly for you. It troubles me to read about your pain. I know you've gotten all kinds of great advice from those much smarter than I. But, I would like to add my 2 cents. Please feel free to tell me to take a hike, but perhaps you should throttle back a notch on the pt. Once you cross the peak, it will be down hill, but when I read 90 min pt sessions, I think "wow, in the beginning, I was exhausted after 30 mins". I'm not for a minute pretending to have any special knowledge or experiences, but I've experienced that exhauted feeling and when I do, I shut it off and take it easy. As a matter of fact, I took one week off (from pt) so I could visit my son in NY. I felt great afterwards (I cleared it with the pt prior to my trip). Your a week ahead of me, probably in much better shape (not probably, but I'm sure you are in fact just from chasing all those young children at school and your crosstraining experience), but yet, I can easily navigate steps, lost the cane, and can almost jog. I know were're all different and heal at different rates, have had different procedures by different surgeons practicing their own individual protocols. But our goals are all similiar. I know from my younger years when I was much more physically active, that often when injured, it takes longer to get back to "normal" if the injury can never completely heal.
To make a long story short, please take it easy on yourself. I apologize in advance if I am insulting you, it is not my intent.
 
Aw.. Thanks warrior girls... Personally dede62 we would be better at the coast house... That is our dream retirement house. We would rather be there protecting it.

The rural fire service are really worried and concerned about the spikes in temperature we are going to get Friday. The type of language they are using is indicative of the level of risk in the coming days/weeks/months...

They just said that with the high temps, high winds, that it is going to break the containment lines they are desperately trying to put in today... We have had a lot to do with major fires over the years, so although one expects it in Summer, we don't normally see it so wide spread.

They have just announced that there are 126 NEW fires in NSW... That is on top of the 130 odd that they have on 'watch and wait'

I just jump from one monitoring site to another..

So has also had experience fighting these big bush fires.. One of the problems in some of the inaccessible areas is that the fire 'crowns' in the gum trees.. eucalypts are well known to burn fast and furious..

Damn! Just got home from working a 9 hour day and then a 90 minute PT session..... are you sure you had surgery hon? - superwoman... :)
 
Poppet, I understand you preferring the coastal house; my thought was that you would have been isolated with the road closures there vs at the city house. My comment was coming from a place of concern for your immediate safety... however after hearing about all of the washing and hosing down, I'm worried you will be joining the ranks of thr Over-doers Club! The difference is necessity vs choice.

Hugs!! :friends:
 
dede62 thanks for your concern honey... We have an excellent volunteer fire service at our village.. We know all the local guys... I like to pop in and see them and give them a contribution.. They buy new boots or new gloves.. Every bit helps.

I hear you about the 'over-doing it'... Sitting here with ice packs on my unoperated hip and back... Yep, trying to hang wet heavy blankets in such strong winds.. I would get one end pegged and then try and peg the other, then it all fell... It's a wonder you didn't hear me :)
 
Tammy glad your doing so good. The flu is going through our kids school my youngest got it. So me and her have been sick for a week and a half. She got some tama flu early that stuff really works. You sure are a busy woman lol its awesome to be able to just do the little things most take for granted. Im already forgetting that ive had a bad hip and a implant.
 
I stood in one spot and topped salads for the entire 2 hours and had no pain! Couldn't believe it.



Got in to the office at 6:00 am and worked until 5:00 pm. A pretty normal day for me prior to surgery. I drove myself to and from work, so with travel it was about an 11-1/2 hour day and while I am tired, it is a "normal" tired for me. So stamina wise, I can tell that I am really improving. Don't seem to experience any mental fog, etc. while at work.


Tammy

Wow Tammy,
Those statements sound fantastic! You stood with no pain for 2 hrs! and your stamina is back!
Congrats on getting to the point where you can probably admit you are able to do more than
before surgery and feel better after doing it!

heat wave?
oh yea, supposed to hit 55 here this weekend, january thaw, then cold after. actually could
use some snow next week to keep the snowmobilers happy!
:snork:
 
limpingaround No offense taken. We often act as the voice of reason for one another. Your concern and advice are greatly appreciated. In spite of what it sounds like, I am nowhere near my previous activity levels. A few months before surgery, it was nothing for me to work 55-60 hour weeks, go to Crossfit 4 nights a week, play softball 2-3 nights a week and still find the time and energy to run errands, etc. I am working about 45-50 hours a week, PT 2x a week, modified workout at the gym 2x a week....some errands and that's it.

I can feel myself getting stronger everyday. It is just this stupid limp that I can't seem to shake. Still have to observe numerous restrictions for another couple of weeks. However, my walking distance, with Steve, has increase every day as has my speed. Stairs are becoming easier, have almost mastered looking "normal" on the way up and down.

It was a beautiful, sunny day here in Central Florida. It hit 85 degrees. I am looking forward to taking the 4-legged children to the dog park this weekend. Not sure which of us is going to enjoy it more.

Poppet, so happy to hear that you and yours are safe. I am keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
 
You are amazing. There is no way most of us could do what you do, Crossfit Warrior.
 
Tammy, standing in 1 place for 2 hours is no small feat. I find that worse than walking. The limp will be trained away with patience and time, it seems like your PT is quite good as they are ensuring that you learn to walk normally again, it seems like alot of folks don't get that assitance and sometimes end up contiuing with a limp unnecessarily. Don't tell Steve, but 1 day soon he will be snuggling up with dust bunnies.
 
No kidding. I still would have a hard time standing in one place for two hours! When I was using the cane, I found I would limp without it until all of a sudden I tried it and I didn't limp without the cane. (not sure if that makes sense, I'm still a little sick) Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Also, can you bottle up some of that energy and send it my way?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom