THR Damn glad that's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried this new exercise very briefly earlier coincidently. Makes sense that it would be harder when standing on the operated leg as its hard to balance on that leg still, for me at least.

If it helps getting rid of the limp then I'll start doing it daily!
 
I was doing those hip-hitches every day for 5 years 'til the old hip finally crumbled... can't wait to get back into them :yikes:
But seriously, they are supposed to be very good for the inner hip muscles & tendons.

I just can't wait to be allowed to do anything again without crutches! Am I the ONLY person on this forum with a minimum 3 month non weight bearing restriction? Did my OS do a botch-job he's trying to cover up or does he just not like me?
 
Btw, the hip hitches - are they most effective when done standing on your operated leg or the other one?

Obviously I'll do both but nice to know which to concentrate on.
 
Hi Tammy, thank-you for your kind words. I was really afraid I may have insulted you and everyone else around the world. I'm glad to see your "stepping up" in the world (as in able to go up and down the stairs). I know, poor attempt at humor, I won't give up my day job. It's amazing to think back 10 weeks ago (9 in my case) and think of both the progress we've made and how much pain we were experiencing. My surgeon asked my goals with surgery. I thought about the gymnastics team, but figured with my age, that was beyond hope. Actually, I've attained one, carrying my gandson in the store (he's 4) ad I can almost jog.. But seriously, I'm glad your able to do the stairs. I found my limp slowly went away as my operated leg got stronger. I have my 10 week check up next week. I'm hoping for an end to the restrictions, but suspect they will be continued for a few more weeks, but that's ok. Good luck and keep marching forwards.
tom
 
Btw, the hip hitches - are they most effective when done standing on your operated leg or the other one?
The leg you stand on is the hip you're exercising. I think. That's how it feels anyway.
 
Tammy, not to put too fine a point on it, but you're having swelling and deep thigh pain, and I'm wondering if your PT and OS are fully informed as to what kind of work week you're putting in?
I want you to be in really good shape for our sideways race up the stairs, so I won't feel bad about whupping you:loll: As if.
 
Sissy, my PT is pretty much up to speed on my work habits. Afterall, I have to schedule the upcoming week's visits with them. I can't do it without whipping out my smartphone and checking the calendar. And, as I found out the first week of outpatient PT, anything the PT knows, gets reported to the OS. Don't you be worrying about whupping me... competition is a beautiful thing.

Nothing new to report here. Still at the same place recovery wise. Nothing new added to the PT regiment lately.

I did work a 6 day work week this week. Went to the office yesterday for about 5 hours to supervise a math competition. Had a blast hanging out with the mathletes.

Decided to stay in and relax today. In fact, other than showering today, I am doing nothing of any substance. Got my lounge pants and t-shirt on and watching bad TV.
 
Sounds like my day, watching football. I was also having some deep thigh pain. I found some very gentle stretching of my quads has really has really helped. You are probably already trying that, but just thought I would put it out there.

Ahh, mathletes, reminds me of my high school days. I bet that *was* fun! I was ok ( read not that great compared to the competition) but really enjoyed going to the competitions. How big is your school, btw?
 
You have that right. I have tried just about everything I can think of to get rid of the thigh pain. My PT also says that the fact that it is a pain that will wax and wane that she too agrees it is a sign of healing. She said that if it was a constant thing and growing in intensity, then she would be concerned about an infection. She said to make sure that I pay attention to the pain patterns and check my temperature....if both things continue to rise, then I need to get in to the OS immediately. So far, so good.

My school sits on 54+ acres and has about 2200 students. It resembles a college campus in that the buildings are spread out and most buildings do not have interior hallways...outside access only. There are miles of sidewalks with lots of exterior stairs and hills. Great place to exercise with all the walking we do. Although racing...er...driving the golf carts is also fun.

No rest for the weary today. Going to PT later this morning. Afterwards, I think I am going to the mall. I am going to break down and buy a couple of pairs of real pants that will hopefully accomodate the swelling in my thigh. I have been wearing a yoga pants in a variety of colors and styles. I have a couple of events coming up that I need to dress like a grown up.....
 
Tammy, hope you get some bargains at the mall today. I have been overdoing it and am immensely enjoying the holiday today, by doing absouletly nothing. Can we place bets on the sideways stair race, between you and sissy46?

Seriously, you might not realize it, but you are making progress, even with the same PT regimine. Unfortunely this is a up and down hil battle, which in the end will allow us to really move. I can't wait to have the other hip done in March, while not looking forward to the actual surgery, Will be so happy to really start rehabilitating my legs.
 
Hi Tammy,

I see you and some of the Warriors having some thigh pains and just wanted to mention that at some point in my recovery I experienced this as well. I thought maybe mine was related to muscle atrophy vs. the bone ingrowth of the appliance. At some point when I was working the foam roller for my IT band I rolled the fronts of my legs and could feel that ache, and could actually feel it a smidge in the other leg and that was when I went with the muscle atrophy theory for a while.

You seem to be doing great with both your PT work and your career work, I hope the thigh pain will settle more with time.
Take care,
Cardie
 
Tammy, just checking in to see how your week went. When did/does your Semester end? Many of our districts are coming up this week. I got 3 of the middle schools scheduled and hope to get the last on done tomorrow. I teach my first schedulig class this year on Wednesday (and it includes a road trip to get there and back). Luckily the delivery is from 9-12:30 and the afternoon is a working session to clean up data and be there if they have questions.

Hope you had a good week. Did you get a chance to wear your grown up clothes? Keep us posted if you can! Pet the pups for me! :puppysmooze:
 
C Mac, Thank you for recommending the roller. That was just what I needed! Now that I am exercising more, I was having leg pains and this is helping quite a bit.

Tammy, I hope your week is going well!
 
Just popping by to say hello to my warrior girls xx
 
[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!
Hope things are going well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom