THR Damn glad that's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tammy, you've had more restrictions than most anyone, and have handled it all so graciously and with such good humor. I wish I could do something to make it go faster for you, but I know you'll get there.

You are the Grand Hoo Ha of BoneSmart (international) Warriors, AKA the Crossfit Warrior, and you inspire all of us:bow:
On the other hand, this may be the only time ever I could challenge you to race up the stairs sideways, and I'd win:yes!:
 
Sorry to hear that Tammy. I am at exactly the same place. Went to the pool this morning, did nothing much except dangle because I'm sore, sat in the hot tub and had to listen as some annoying guy rabbited on about how he had a THR and was back to normal in 3 weeks, no problemo. My scar, being so long, attracts those sorts of conversations. Christmas parties were bad for that, I was constantly cornered by quick recoverers, nice, positive people who didn't have any lengthy history or surgical complications. I am very glad you have an uplifting animal pal for PT. My cats are quite useless. They just sit on me when I lie down - no sympathy unless I give them treats. My husband is still taking care of their 'ins' while I am back on their 'outs.' It strikes me that I have the worst of the deal. On the plus side, the sun came out here today after about 3 weeks of gloom and rain and I remembered why I love the west coast. The view over the city is spectacular as it emerges through the fog. Anyhow, I know it will get better for all of us, just not today! Sooty Having whined about my lot, I am very, very happy for you! 50 per cent is way more fun than 10 per cent but is replete with a new set of risks so take it easy there...
 
Vida Dang, girl, what kind of warrior are you? You couldn't fall on top of that annoying fellow and hold him under for a few minutes? You've got an alibi, your long scar made you lose your balance:wink: Or, you could take that cane and....

Seriously, those of us who simply got old and got OA and had an uncomplicated THR can only imagine what you've been through with your lifelong dysplasia and multiple surgeries. I consider myself very, very lucky.

Maybe it is post-holiday doldrums or something, but a lot of us seem out of sorts, impatient to be "normal" again...although in some cases, it is hard to say exactly what that would be:rolleyes: I know I could use a little sunshine; this has been a gray day here in central Florida. I don't mind rain, and I do love shine, but gray skies feel like they're pushing me down. Three weeks of that would have me committed.
 
sissy46 Thanks, you made me laugh. And don't think I didn't think about holding him under, perky little twerp. It wasn't his fault tho, its me, you're right. I need to grow a pair.... my husband usually chimes in and tells people that mine was a bit more complicated... what a guy. And you're right, the holidays were a bit of a distraction and now its back to 'recovery.' I just get sick of myself sometimes, I've become so boring... hip, hip, bloody hip.
 
You are doing awesome! I think Nerdgrrl hit it right on the head with the plateau. Plateaus are opportunities to build strength and endurence to get to the next part of the climb. Just can't fight it.

Tammy, stairs aren't easy to master during this process. I was so tired last night and when I was getting ready ro go up to bed, I literally stopped dead in my tracks and said "ugh these stairs" and then firmly gripped the rail and worked my way up trudging each step. I know it will get better for all of us!! Just when you think "I got this" our bodies tell us, "well not so fast there kiddo". Reality sucks some times and is part of the process we can't skip over.
 
I loved sissy46 comment.

Maybe it is post-holiday doldrums or something, but a lot of us seem out of sorts, impatient to be "normal" again...although in some cases, it is hard to say exactly what that would be.

Oh my lovely warrior girls.. You will plateau and you will have times when you will feel 'out of sorts'. THR recovery is not only about the body recovery, but also about our expectations. We all have had to learn the lesson 'patience'...

Not a bad characteristic as one gets older :)

You will get there, in time! :)
 
Tammy, I understand your frustration, and part of me wants to remind you of how far you have come and how much the no wieght bearing effects your recovery as the muscles regenerate, how we are warriors, but you know what? Every once and a while we need to yell and scream that We are not where we want to be and WE WANT IT NOW!!, because that also is part of the recovery process. I was only on 50% weight bearing for 8 weeks and am just now using only the cane instead of the crutch. Hang in there Warrior at least it is not 15 degrees there, it's harder to keep your cane steady when your whole body is shivering.
 
Damn!, Tammy, just hang in there. I too believe you've just hit a plateau. You were doing such amazing things physically before the surgery, it is natural for you to become frustrated during your recovery. You have been so amazing the whole way through, you are entitled to a little pity party occasionally......as long as it's just a short one and then you pull yourself up and get on with it! Don't let the doldrums get the best of you! Recovery-wise you've blown some of us totally away, you should be proud of what you've accomplished! Personally, I think you are pretty darn amazing!
 
Tammy, how are you and Steve and Bandit this morning? The sun is finally peeking through over here, even though more rain is in the forecast today and tomorrow. :SUNsmile:always lifts my spirits!
Have you considered that your PT has been extended because they like to play with Bandit?
 
Hi All. Thank you for the words of encouragement. I think I may have mentioned it in a previous post, but my PT has indicated to the OS that I have a trendelenburg gait. We are working on strengthening the abductor muscles to correct the hip drop that occurs when walking. This will be another lesson in patience for me. I think my pity party is almost over as I have to get ready to go back to work on Monday. I find it is really easy to become depressed and/or discouraged when sitting at home twiddling my thumbs. I feel good enough to go out on shopping excursions, but that gets too expensive when done right :) I take the dogs to the park, but can't run around with them. So, in between therapy sessions, I do the home exercises and wish things would hurry up. At least at work, I have some intellectual distractions and the opportunity to practice my walking and stair climbing.

I had set a goal back on December 21st (my last day of work before vacation) that I would return to work on January 7th without Steve. Frustrated that this will not be the case.

Ok, deep breath and a reminder that this too shall pass. Happy Saturday fellow Warriors.

Tammy
 
It is amazing and incredibly frustrating how long it takes for soft tissue to repair/ recover. You are probably right that work will provide some needed distraction. Once your hip muscles start engaging properly, I bet you will have a burst of progress!

BTW -How is the nerve pain on your leg doing? Is it still there? I don't recall a recent update on that.

Have a good weekend!
 
Hey Tammy. I am also trying to correct the T gait that I've had for donkey's years. I have two PT sessions left, then a group. After that I expect to be at about 12 weeks and at that check up will ask my OS if I can do Pilates. My husband goes and I've been looking at its potential for my recovery. I'm not ready yet, still weak and pain erupts on and off. Thought you might like to see this.

 
Nerve pain on the outside of the thigh still there. Not as painful as it used to be, but can still catch me off guard. There is absolutely no feeling in it. Experimented the other day with running an ice cube down the thigh from my hip bone to my knee. Felt the cold until about mid-thigh and then....NOTHING. Didn't feel the cold sensation at all. It still burns and when I touch it it feels like it has been shot up with novacaine. Can feel pressure on it, but that's it.
 
Thank you Vida. Wonder where I can find one of those Reformers.
 
Damn!
I have that same problem only with the non-operated thigh. I know its a damaged nerve/s and I'm glad I'm not doing physio with it. Yours must have been damaged during surgery, mine too but from lying sideways on the OR table. Woke up with it.
 
I have my fingers crossed that it will regenerate or recover soon. It drives me nuts.
 
It can take a while for the Trendelenburg gait to be eliminated after surgery, it is sometimes part of the healing process. I think that I remember you mentioning that you do the clamshell exercise, right?


[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!

This is just a subtle movement keeping your core -- tummy, tight and you can put your hand on the back of your upper buttock area to feel the g. medius moving with this exercise. Also the side lying leg lift and/or the standing leg lift helps with that muscle as well. Again it's a small movement, you are not lifting your leg up to the ceiling or way out to the side as that brings in other muscles. Time will give you an improvement on the T. gait, it just may be more time than you would expect...

Oh, and the stairs will come back to you also. It may take a little brain re-training at some point, if you feel like it's more of a habit. It's ok in the early months thou because it keeps you mindful and slow on the stairs so that you don't rip around the house and fall down!!

Take care,
Cardie
 
Tammy, I have the T gait also, and it is not something quickly overcome. We have to retrain our legs to walk correctly, we have gone through all this trouble to have a active life and to restore normallacy so walking right is also part of it. We may be able to walk quite quickly and maybe even pain free without our sidekicks, but we will still be doing the wrong gait. I know that every step I have to think about in order to do it right, Heel to Toe, head straight, back straight, stomach in chest out. I am at the point where I can not even walk and chew gum at that same time with all this darn thinking going on. You are doing great, so just hang in there
 
Thanks Beth and Cardie. Yes, I do the clamshells a lot! Lots of side leg lifts and now going to the gym to use the abduction machine. Not afraid of hard work, just frustrated by the slow progress. I haven't mastered walking limp-free without the cane, but it is not from the lack of trying.

Went back to work, with Steve, today. Got in lots of walking and stairs. Stood for lunch duty about 90 minutes with no problems. Had 2 teachers come in from the holiday break and submit their resignations. One I am happy about, the other, not so much. But I live with the understanding that when you loose your best teacher, you get a new best teacher. C'est la vie!

PT tomorrow and Thursday this week. Gym later tonight and either Friday or Saturday depending on how I feel after being back at work again. Came home tired this afternoon as I have to get back on my regular bedtime schedule.

Tammy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom