Guest viewing is limited

THR Damn glad that's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!
 
Hi all...been really busy lately. Been working 10 hour days for the last couple of weeks. Our semester ended the week of January 18th, and the new term started last week. Things were crazy there for awhile. Then add in physical therapy 3 times a week and 2 gym visits...I didn't know if I was coming or going. I have been a very bad BS warrior, but I promise to catch up with all your threads over the next few days. I really miss you guys.

Hit the 12 week mark yesterday and with it the OS said that with PT approval my 90 degree and crossing the midline restrictions would be a thing of the past. Soooooooo, first PT session was today after work. In addition to all the usual stuff, they added me lying on my back with the good leg bent and have me work my other foot up and rest it on the knee then gently push the operated knee down; just until I feel the stretch. Hold for a count of 20 repeat 3 more times. This was very uncomfortable. Then on to the straight leg raises (since I was already on my back). Two simple little straight leg raises and my groin muscles cramped. Holy cheese and crackers! Agony. Then on to my side for clamshells and side leg lifts. Clamshells went ok, could not get my leg up at all. PT had to come over and assist me in lifting the leg. Frustrated to the point of tears. Yes folks, I cried at PT today. Not one of my finer moments. Room full of people and there I am boo-hooing!

I have hit a plateau. I still have to use Steve with every step. In the back of my mind, I really thought I would be "normal" (relatively speaking) by this point. It is frustrating not to be able to do the things I really want to do. I am tired of my yoga pants. Thigh is swollen tonight from hip bone to knees... No real clothes for me yet. With the T-gait, the doctor has not released me from my shoe restriction yet, so still wearing my sneakers.

So there you have it....proof positive that I am not Super Woman :hairpulling: .

To end on a positive note, the weather has been in the mid-80's this week and I am loving being able to be frustrated out in the sunshine.

Tammy
 
Tammy, I actually had a little sniffle reading this. I was there about three weeks ago and know exactly how you're feeling tonight. You have had such a journey and are so inspirational, we don't care if you see yourself as super or not, we know you are. Your punishing schedule makes the rest of us look like weenies. I have had the luxury of not working at all during my recovery and that's a good thing as my much older bod has always responded to rest, not movement. I guess I am more slug than warrior and can only lounge around and admire your energy and commitment.

Like so many here, I have been following your story and delighting in your achievements. You know you've faced more challenges than most, plus an extra tough start post-op and you also understand how this recovery process is different for everyone....... yadda yadda. Regardless of your current perceptions about your own progress, you will get there. But I worry that you are hurting more than you should. Can you at least take something stronger before your next PT session? Decent pain control is still getting me through them. I am certain that, taken together, controlling my pain, refusing to do certain prescribed exercises and riding the stationary bike was what helped me turn the corner.

I want to thank you for taking the time to comment on my thread tonight after you've had an emotionally difficult day. Not many people would be so generous but we've all come to expect it from you. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Vicki x
 
[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!
Tammy, I really believe that you are DOING far too much. Work in itself is a form of PT and then you are adding additional PT and saying that some of the things you're doing there are "agony" which translates to "pain" to me. None of your PT should be painful. And the continued swelling is also an indication that you are DOING TOO MUCH!

You're only 12 weeks post op----you WILL get back to doing the things you love----it will just take a little longer than you want it to.
[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!
We all suffer from wanting in NOW. Try to dial back a bit, relax, stop pushing so hard 'cause it's holding things up.


So slow down, take care, and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!
 
:iagree: Tammy, I know it is your nature to push yourself to the absolute limit, but healing is something that proceeds on its own time, and pushing it may be detrimental. With 10 hour days and vigorous PT 3x/week and two gym sessions (and I can just imagine how hard you're pushing there) you don't even have enough time to be off your feet as much as you need to be.

I don't think anyone with swelling and pain should be doing all that you're doing, but I'm not the orthopedic nurse, and I just wonder what Josephine would advise.

Now that I've hollered, let me say I've missed you and worried a little with your long absence. You've been so encouraging to everyone else, it just doesn't seem fair that you are having a hard time.

I'm still looking forward to ziplining at Gatorland with you:SUNsmile:
 
Tammy did it hurt when they were pushing your knee down while your
foot was up on the other knee? I can't believe that PT went right into
that stretch so quickly, it just seems a bit aggressive.
how are you doing with weight bearing? i know you have been standing,
are you putting more weight on the leg as you walk with Steve?
Sorry to hear of the frustration at PT, just don't forget how restricted
you have been so you have a lot of catching up to do on certain exercises.
It will get better, you know that.

Glad you are enjoying the weather. Balmy 60 degrees here today, but
short lived as winter returns tomorrow.

:friends:hugs to you, keep your head up, you'll get there.
 
Tammy, I am sorry that you do not recgonize that you are a super woman, the amount that you have done for folks on this forum, for your family, for your student is amazing. Your dedication to your work and your fitness is incredible, but I agree with everyone else here, if you keep pushing it will delay the healing instead of speeding it up. You have amazing stregnth, use some of that to slow down, and whack any on off side the head who doesn't like it.
 
Miss reading Tammy's threads, does anyone know if she's ok? Am doing much better at the mo and trying to live without my stick for as long as I can. Only problem is, i wonder if anyone else has suffered this, my left arm, especially the elbow, is absolutely killing me. I'm finding it even difficult to change gears in my car as its so painful. I'm putting it down to using my stick because thats the only explanation I can think of, really hoping its not osteoarthritis
 
Good evening everyone and Happy Sunday (or Monday for some of you). I will hit the 13 week mark tomorrow and have nothing new to report. Still having issues with the t-gait and Steve is STILL my constant companion. My quad and hamstring are getting stronger, but very little progress with the abduction muscle(s). Trying to do lots of side leg lifts and clamshells to strengthen the muscles, but it is very slow going. Attempting to do the hip dips the PT showed me, but boy do they tire my leg out fast. Lying on my stomach and trying to do a backwards leg lift is still pretty difficult. According to the measurements the PT takes, I have not shown an improvement in this area.

Today I took the dogs to the dog park and let them run around. It was a beautiful day for being outside. Yesterday I had a "me" day at the salon. Got a mani/pedi, eyebrow wax, hair cut and color. Feel and look like a new me. Had the girl shorten my hair by about 5 inches (still reaches below the shoulders) and thin it out a bit as the pony tail gets pretty heavy after a while.

Going to a banquet tomorrow after school. This will make my first 13-14 hour day since before surgery. Been putting in a lot of 11 hour days up until now, so I don't anticipate that it will be a problem. Then PT on Tuesday and Thursday this week. Working Saturday from 9 to 2 on a Campus Beautification project.

Still really frustrated by the slow progress....but I am dealing with it the best I can.

How is everyone else?

Tammy
 
Tammy, great to hear from you! I still think you are doing way too much----more of those "me" days would be therapeutic. The weather is beautiful. Go sit on the beach:SUNsmile: Have an adult beverage:martini: Take a nap:sleep:

Just reading all that you do makes me tired.
 
Hey Super Duper AP, how's S2 starting out for you? Hopefully all of the kids are settling in to their new classes and things have calmed down on that front. I'm guessing grades are done and out by now. How'd that outing go in your non-yoga pants???

I know how much you want to be on the other side of this surgery and feel like your life is yours again and not tied to PT, Steve, T-gaits and all the other things you've had to deal with. You've had plenty of experience with recoveries in the past. You know your body better than anyone else. You do what you need and we'll be here. You need to vent and every celebration we'll be there. We care, so we offer advice. You've recognized the plateau. Plateaus have a way of working themselves out and we're surprised when it happens for some strange reason...

Dutch, on that stretch where the foot works its way up, there shouldn't be any external pushing down of the leg by anything other than the muscles. Pushing it down puts too much stress on the joint.
 
Tammy, did you and Steve get out and enjoy the incredibly beautiful weather this weekend?
 
Hi Tammy- Just stopping by to see if you were able to try spin class. If so, how did it go? I am trying to get to spin twice a week and do elliptical the rest of the days (with a couple days off a week sprinkled in there). I am planning a short-ish (4 miles of relatively easy terrain) hike next week. Will post how it goes.
 
Hey, Tammy, just checking in to see how you're doing. Things have ramped up for us in the new semester. We're doing lots of training for scheduling, so I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll be pretty busy! Hope you had a good trip to the pup park last weekend. I'm sure your fur-babies had a great time with their favorite person!! :puppysmooze:
 
:boohoo:Our Grand Hoo-Ha and Crossfit Warrior has abandoned us.
We miss you, Tammy!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!
to hear from you! So many want to know what you're up to. Please don't keep us in suspense much longer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom