THR Damn glad that's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If none of your candidates work out I might be able to talk my 84 yo Mom to help you out! She's pretty sharp! :)
 
Keep that elevating and icing going warrior girl, the steps will happen :)
 
Tammy, remember our mantra, don't do anything that hurts. If you're having swelling, maybe back off a little on the PT?
 
Absolutely... you are not meant to hurt with PT.. slow and steady Tammy! :)
 
Tammy, I do not envy you, there are very few things I hate more than doing the hiring process, it never fails to amze me the lack of effort folks put into their resumes, and when they come to the interviews, I swear half of them I do not believe have even read the job description never mind researched us, and our whole role is workforce devlopment, so you would think they would at least have a good resume:umm:

Hope you muscles start recouping, l;ike Sissy says, I think you will be ship shape and Bristol fashion in no time. The swelling keeps happening with me too, so I still am wearing clothes that have forgiveness, and don't worry about the steps it will come, you are way ahead of me

dede62, you were luck that you orginally had a guy who understood your work in in the Navy, that is one of the largest problems I see with our transitioning military, if you are not in the military you will not understnad their resumes. We are constantly helping them translate from military to civilan speak,
 
Beth, as much as you wordsmith a resume, it's funny how some employers automatically make assumptions about military service. Shame really. Not sure how much it happens today, but by the sounds of what you do it's probably still an issue...

Tammy wishing you the best with the interviews. I take it no one within the district applied? Usually here districts open uo internally first, then open to the world. It is hard to transition mid-year; though unless you've had your eye on something specific...
 
The issues go both ways both on the military side, where they expect all employers to understand the jargon or feel that the only thing they can go into is security/police, (this one is also sterotyped by the employer) and most time the Veteran just sell themself short, they also do not understand how to correlate what they did in the military to the civilian sector. With employers it can also be mixed, once again they look at security, they are very removed from what skills are learned in the military, and if the person is in the National Guard there can be alot of discrimination in hring them as they feel they will be deployed again. I always tell the Vet, do not think the employer will understand or see the value of your service, you have to bring it down to their level, if they understand GREAT, but overall the employer is not looking for an education on military life, but just want someone who will provide them ROI. Overall though employers are really stepping up to the plate to provide Veterans with an opportunity for employment, some reasons are just good PR, but I do not really care about there reasons as long as my Veterans find work.

Tammy, I hope you made it through the day
 
Devastated by what I am seeing and my heart aches for the families and victims from Newtown, CT. I'm going to spend a bit of time with my grandson this evening, and will get back on BS in a few hours. Everyone give your children an extra hug and kiss tonight (today) and tell them how much you love them.
 
Good evening fellow BS warriors!

Sorry about last night. As an educator, yesterday's tragic events really touched home. I sat, as many did, watching the events unfold on the television with tears in my eyes and pride in my heart as the heroic stories of fellow educators were unveiled. A teacher sacrificed herself to save her students...the principal threw herself at the gunman to save those she led.

Yesterday was the longest day I have had since prior to the surgery. I worked a 9-1/2 hour day and then went to a 2 hour PT appointment. Clamshells were added to my routine. Man those are difficult at this stage of the game. Still having an issue with my hamstring cramping when I do the exercise where I put all the weight on my good leg and try to kick myself in the butt with the operated leg. Ouch! Still working on doing step-ups on the 2 inch step. Attempted the 4 inch one, no dice yet....but I will get there. Worked on walking with the cane....whew! It is tough. The PT has recommended that I stick with the one crutch and practice with the cane for a few minutes each day until the leg strengthen enough to handle the cane safely.

Spent today out shopping for my Secret Santa week. Each day has a theme, so it has been fun coming up with things that meet the criteria without giving myself away.

Going to spend the rest of the evening watching movies.

Tammy
 
Hi Tammy you seem to be doing brilliantly with the PT and I am absolutely amazed how many hours at work you are doing...are you Wonderwoman in disguise lol? On a serious note, as I work in education too I have been very moved and upset by the events in Newtown and can only offer my heartfelt condolences for everyone in the US who must be feeling despair and sorrow that such an event could ever be conceivable.Whilst we are all recovering here and feeling sorry for ourselves, it does bring it home that there are always people who are much worse off than we are., my heart goes out to them.
Hope you enjoyed your evening watching movies. I'm spending a lot of time sleeping now, I think it's finally caught up with me and now that I can comfortably sleep, thats all my body wants to do. Feel a bit guilty about always going to my boudoir to lie down but heyho at least I'll be wide awake for Christmas lol :xmaswindow:
 
Tammy, I can't agree more with your sentiments in your post. You have nothing to apologize for as you know all too well as an educator, it is so much more than the day to day. You've unselfishly given to your students and staff because you care and you have passion for what you do. I'm certain for those brave educators, it was the same for them. The whole siituation semed so sensless and selfish. I cqn only hope that a small glimmer of hope can be restored to the broken hearted through the world's prayers and hopefully the changes that can be put n place to prevent future tragedies like this from occurring again.

Regarding your PT, even though you are a crossfit warrior your recovery started out as a horizontal line instead of one where things progressed linearly. If you think about it you're really in your 1-2nd week of any weightbearing and you are doing/attempting exercises that most people don't do until 3-5 weeks of weightbearing. I'm also wondering if the 1 crutch is keeping you a bit off balance where as 2 with actual weightbearing might keep you more centered and control the amount of pressure you are putting on your joint... I'm just thinking (you know I'm a problemsolver by nature) but do you have a walker and have you attempted to do any of the exercises using that instead? Not sure if would work and I'm certainly not saying to go backwards, but it's more of a curiosity...

:what:
 
Morning Tammy
I think every body is saddened by the recent news but when you devote you life to the children you educate or care for the shock you feel is awful. Why do these terrible things always happen at Christmas or special family times. We can only offer a hope that the children were in no pain when they passed. As for those brave teachers we should hold the up as saints who did there best for the children in their care.
The sun is shining here today although its very damp. Only 1 more weekend before Christmas and I am in a better place than I was last year.
I am at physio tomorrow and hoping will be ok. My 1st chap has now gone so I will have a new person. Hope she knows what she is doing ? My walking is going well now and don't want to go backwards again. If things carry on as they are doing I am planning to reduce meds after Christmas.
I am working 8am till 5.30 pm now and have more children back after Christmas so don't want to rush to get off meds. I will also be back on the school run. Will be good to get back to normal again.
Have a good day x
 
You all will be happy to hear that I didn't get into any trouble at all what so ever today! This past Monday, the new Kindle Fire HD was the "Deal of the Day" on Amazon. They were selling it for $50 off. So I ordered one with a bluetooth keyboard for it. It arrived yesterday. So, I played with it all day today. I was testing the battery life on it, so I watched a movie (The Negotiator) and then about half of the first season of Army Wives. The battery lasted about 8 hours without a charge. I love this new toy! The bluetooth keyboard allows me to type in Word documents and the like, so good for work.

Had the house to myself today for about 5-6 hours. It was heavenly. Got some laundry done. Put it in a basket, then slide the basket along the floor to the washer, switch the clothes to the dryer, throw back in the basket, slide it basket back to the bedroom. Hid the clean clothes from the family. Don't want them to know I managed to do it on my own :)

Spent a lot of time on the porch with the Kindle Fire HD watching Army Wives and enjoying the beautiful weather.

How about the rest of you?
Tammy
 
Well, I already posted mine on my thread, but I just got the basic Kindle and really like it---maybe I'll get the Fire HD next. Sounds like fun.
 
Got some laundry done. Put it in a basket, then slide the basket along the floor to the washer, switch the clothes to the dryer, throw back in the basket, slide it basket back to the bedroom. Hid the clean clothes from the family. Don't want them to know I managed to do it on my own :)
I have to get my laundry basket downstairs to the basement, so I hook my cane into a handle, drag it down the hall and follow it down stairs, hoping nothing spills. Someone usually brings it back up for me, because that would really be a struggle now.
 
Tammy, what are you up to? Besides working 9+ hours and doing PT?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom